Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2005

Viking7 is on a distinguished road
PHRF

Amen to the above. Listen to the old salts and try to learn at least one new principle each time out. When I began racing three years ago I ignored some peoples'' advice and tried to shortcut others. Wrong. When I bought new sails, the boat still didn''t feel that fast - checked the bottom and it was obvious why. With a clean bottom and the new sails, we went from middle or back of the pack to leading 4 of the last 5 races of the season, with no finish below 2nd. We have a guy who consistently complains his boat rates too fast (low phrf) and yet he finishes 1st or 2nd every time out. Don''t bitch, just listen to the fast guys and try what they say. The best ones are usually real happy to share some of their knowledge with an enthusiastic newbie - you aren''t really a threat to them anyway (yet). Set a realistic goal each race and DON''T QUIT - early this year we broke some gear right at the start of a race and had to make on-the-spot repairs that cost us about 15 min. We got back in the race, passed a couple, others dropped out (it was REALLY windy), and ended up 2nd - you never know when the guy in front of you might break something. Most importantly, be in full-learn mode each time out.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2005

donpeake is on a distinguished road
PHRF

Good Morning,
My name is don Peake, and I own a 1982 Dehler Db1 named Victory. I purchased her new in 1982 and have enjoyed a good deal of success racing her. I just saw your message from jan 2004. I hope that you you too have won some regattas, but if you are intrested, I do have some insight into the "Good Ole Boys" at PHRF.
The Db1 was constructed to compete and win the World 3/4 ton championships, which she DID in 1980 and 1981. These races were held in Europe.The Db1 dominated the World racing circuit for many years, winning the Fastnet, Cowes Week, Keil Week, SORC Miami to Nassau,and they still win or place high 23 years later.
The PROBLEM is, that the Db1 was designed by Kees Von Tegrin for Van De Stadt to race in a MEASURED rating system. 3/4 ton is a definite formula. The IOR was an honorable system, run just like the Olympics. PHRF is a system where the Boys look at your boat and say "Gee she looks fast, lets give her a 100" Then they want you to go out and race with a bad rating and show them that you are slower than the rating that they have arbitrarily assigned to you. Also, as you mentioned, the ratings vary from region to region. The Db1 sails well above her 3/4 ton rating. I have beaten 1 Tonners in a good breeze. I hope that you will respond, I am very interested in your successes. Remember, Sail your own race, don''t try to point up with the Masthead rigs. The same downwind. Crack off and go fast.
Best,
Don Peake
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook