Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Who pays for the food and beer?

I've crewed offshore races on boats that do it both ways. It's really up to the skipper - and it typically comes down to whether the crew is worth keeping or not.

Personally, I really like the skipper who provides food on the distance races. I'll work my butt off to stay on that boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

rama, if you're racing in LIS, good crew are hard to find and reliable crew much harder to find. Having a rep as a "too generous" captain is just going to help you get and keep better crew, which should translate into better racing.

What's the "right" amount for a birthday present?

And should you break out the good scotch for a bbq or dinner party?

I'd never expect the captain to be the caterer, but I have to admit it is nice when that happens.

Too generous is a relative thing, if making the wife happy creates a problem on the boat...well...You pays your money, you takes your chances.
Old 07-24-2012

Beaverkill is on a distinguished road

I just started racing this season and my experience is limited to two boats..On 1 boat, the owner/skipper bought beer and food for crew...The crew which I have landed a position, the owner buys the first round of beer, then crew picks up the rest of the rounds.. Everyone is on their own for food..
Old 07-24-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

I am curious what kind of crew you get when they have to bring all their own food and beer, etc. Its hard to get someone that knows what the heck they are doing and is willing to consistently take the time to race with you. We have designated places on the boat that we perfect and each person runs. That makes them really good at it. Missing a person can really create a big hole not easily filled.

I am no expert on racing. I do it, enjoy it (especially distance races), but it requires a bit of committment. If the capt doesn't even care enough to supply beer and food (however meager... part of the reason I help stock is I can only eat so damn many sandwhiches after a day or two at sea), I wonder where he is placing in the race???

If you take your racing seriously, take your crew seriously. If its just a beer fest and you couldn't care less, well, tell them its a joy sail and to bring their own booze. I am not saying we race quite that serious, we have fun, but Jaysus H... I mean, all the beers for when you get there anyways. If you are drinkin underway, you ain't racing (right). How damn much beer can 5-6 guys drink after the last buoy? Well, nevermind that last comment. The basic point remains though (snicker).

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-24-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad:900722
I am curious what kind of crew you get when they have to bring all their own food and beer, etc. Its hard to get someone that knows what the heck they are doing and is willing to consistently take the time to race with you. We have designated places on the boat that we perfect and each person runs. That makes them really good at it. Missing a person can really create a big hole not easily filled.

I am no expert on racing. I do it, enjoy it (especially distance races), but it requires a bit of committment. If the capt doesn't even care enough to supply beer and food (however meager... part of the reason I help stock is I can only eat so damn many sandwhiches after a day or two at sea), I wonder where he is placing in the race???

If you take your racing seriously, take your crew seriously. If its just a beer fest and you couldn't care less, well, tell them its a joy sail and to bring their own booze. I am not saying we race quite that serious, we have fun, but Jaysus H... I mean, all the beers for when you get there anyways. If you are drinkin underway, you ain't racing (right). How damn much beer can 5-6 guys drink after the last buoy? Well, nevermind that last comment. The basic point remains though (snicker).

Brian
Moderator or (snicker) otherwise; you end up with a crew dedicated to the boat, not to the beer and feed bag. It's a small part of the issue. If you're suggesting that the best sailors do it for the beer, you're way off the mark. They do it for the skipper, however way he-she manages. I'm appalled that a moderator would even suggest such idiocy.
Old 07-24-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

I don't race my boat lot and only in one or two distance races a year. Usually I've asked the crew to bring a few things and give a list so I don't end up with provisions for a month at sea. I provided all the food and most of the beverages and my wife does duty as sea cook. I've also sprung for shoreside accomodations for the crew to get a nights sleep before heading home.

That was in the past. This year, my financial position has significnatly eroded and is certain to get worse for the foreseeable future. In the next 20 minutes I'll be sending a message to my crew for the biggest race I'll do this year, that I simply cannot do as much as I did last year. We'll see if I'm posting for new crew tomorrow.
Old 07-24-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Wednesday nights:

I've been providing beer, ice, soda and chips. After a while, some of my crew decided on their own, that it would be fair to contribute, so they do.

Distance races and practice days:

I provide a 2-foot sub (or two), and ice. The crew brings whatever drinks and snacks they feel like having. If it's an overnight race, I'll also provide breakfast.
When the weather was cooler, I whipped up omelettes, bacon, coffee and toast.
Now that the weather is hotter than six hells, it's been hard boiled eggs and iced coffee.

With one exception (whom I fired), my crew has been very appreciative of my generosity, and has started kicking in more for food and beverages as they began to realize that not only was I feeding and equipping them, but that I was also pouring money into my boat to improve it for them.

I won't let 'em pay for any boat material though. That's my domain and I won't let anyone have a financial stake in the boat itself.
SVAuspicious likes this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 07-24-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Whenever I sailed as crew, and later when I actively raced my own boat, the practice was:

On beer-can and single day races the skippper provided the beer, soda and snacks (never-the-less, most of the crew seemed to bring along a 6-pack of their own and at the end of the season we had to unload a sizable amount of "moveable ballast" in the form of unused 6-packs). Following the races the skipper usually paid for dinner, although in those daze that was usually $1 a piece hot-dogs or hamburgers; and,

One long distance races, the skipper usually provided sodas, water and snacks and at least one good meal a day, usually dinner, plus dinner and drinks for all the night before the start (to moderate that number of pre-race drinks) and dinner and drinks once the race was done. Each crew normally contributed their proportionate share of meals for the race itself, or their proportionate share of the costs of provisioning, plus, again, the amount of beer or wine each person thought they might consume--plus enough for one other crew--keeping in mind that ours were "dry" boats--i.e., for safety sake, when off soundings, we limited ourselves to one beer or glass of wine with snacks before dinner (sun downers) and a second, only, with dinner itself.

The big deal wasn't beer or wine, or even food, but "treats". Cookies and snack-cakes/pies and like and one-bite candies (Snicker's mini's etc.). Four daze into a race and short on "treats" some guys would trade a watch for a couple of Snickers mini's (if the watch commander would permit it). We always carried a hidden stash of Snickers, Hershey's Kisses, and the like and usually a chocolate cake and a bottle of bubbly for the night before a finish. Even if we didn't win, show or place, we were pleased with the effort.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 07-24-2012

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough

We casually buoy race. I provide drinks (including good beer) and light supper. It doesn't cost much, and I am happy to host. Sometimes the extra beer goes to Blt2ski's crew. They seem to go through it a bit faster than we do..

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 07-24-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_hunter View Post
Moderator or (snicker) otherwise; you end up with a crew dedicated to the boat, not to the beer and feed bag. It's a small part of the issue. If you're suggesting that the best sailors do it for the beer, you're way off the mark. They do it for the skipper, however way he-she manages. I'm appalled that a moderator would even suggest such idiocy.
For the beer....

BTW, hope everyone realizes that was a lot of tongue and cheek??

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: