Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Who pays for the food and beer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Whenever I sailed as crew, and later when I actively raced my own boat, the practice was:

On beer-can and single day races the skippper provided the beer, soda and snacks (never-the-less, most of the crew seemed to bring along a 6-pack of their own and at the end of the season we had to unload a sizable amount of "moveable ballast" in the form of unused 6-packs). Following the races the skipper usually paid for dinner, although in those daze that was usually $1 a piece hot-dogs or hamburgers; and,

One long distance races, the skipper usually provided sodas, water and snacks and at least one good meal a day, usually dinner, plus dinner and drinks for all the night before the start (to moderate that number of pre-race drinks) and dinner and drinks once the race was done. Each crew normally contributed their proportionate share of meals for the race itself, or their proportionate share of the costs of provisioning, plus, again, the amount of beer or wine each person thought they might consume--plus enough for one other crew--keeping in mind that ours were "dry" boats--i.e., for safety sake, when off soundings, we limited ourselves to one beer or glass of wine with snacks before dinner (sun downers) and a second, only, with dinner itself.

The big deal wasn't beer or wine, or even food, but "treats". Cookies and snack-cakes/pies and like and one-bite candies (Snicker's mini's etc.). Four daze into a race and short on "treats" some guys would trade a watch for a couple of Snickers mini's (if the watch commander would permit it). We always carried a hidden stash of Snickers, Hershey's Kisses, and the like and usually a chocolate cake and a bottle of bubbly for the night before a finish. Even if we didn't win, show or place, we were pleased with the effort.

FWIW...
What? No plentiful free beer? And you wanted me to do the Vendee with you? Forget it now. I'll just do the Americas Cup instead.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2012

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hey,

On the boat I crew on, for Thursday night beer can racing, the owner provides a few subway sandwiches, soda, a few beers, and some chips and cookies.

The crew does a lot of work getting the ready to race and then putting it away. The owner has a nice boat with good equipment. We try to keep it nice and to sail fast.

Barry

Old 07-25-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

For buoy racing the vast majority of boats I have raced on the crew brings their own lunches, and most bring some beer, or whatever else they want to drink. most skippers have water, gatorade, chips and some beer on board. I actually prefer to bring my own beer so I don't end up having to drink Bud Lime or some similar swill

I certainly don't take it personally if a skipper doesn't supply all of my food and drink, although I do show my appreciation if he does! To me it is not about getting free beer, it is about whether I enjoy racing on that boat with that team.
Hull#101
Old 07-25-2012

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

I race as crew and do not expect the skipper to feed me or supply drinks. I figure they spend a lot of money on their boats so I can supply some food and drink and anticipate the other crew will contribute as well.
Old 07-25-2012

xsboats is on a distinguished road

Who pays for the beer and food on races depends on how well you sail !
Old 07-25-2012

ckmeans is on a distinguished road

I think it's fine for the owner to have some stuff on board...But it's a bit rude of the crew to expect it and they should always bring their own...You wouldn't show up to a party without bringing something right....
Old 07-25-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
What? No plentiful free beer? And you wanted me to do the Vendee with you? Forget it now. I'll just do the Americas Cup instead.

Brian
Brian--

Having seen the effects of a too well "lubricated" crew at the time of an emergency, we were/are very conservative with Alcohol on the yacht while underway, even when just "cruising". More than one prospective crewman has declined (or been declined) when he/she learned of this policy. My wife's cousin, from Chicago, refuses to sail with us because we limit alcohol consumption. Of course, this is the same guy who, with his crew, got so loaded on a race (on Lake Michigan) they ended up in Wisconsin the next morning rather worse for "where" (SIC).

I'm sorry you'll be missing the Vendee but I'm sure you'll have a great time at the A/C. From what I understand, the latest Crop of A/C boats are anything but dry!

svHyLyte

PS: Stopped in St. Pete the other day but couldn't find you. Are you "on the road--or rhode--again?
MarkSF likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 07-25-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

"Racing boats" whose crews get drunk during a race are party barges. That's not racing - that's stupidity. The boats I've raced on were not "dry" but had a 1-drink/day max. Even so, none of us had a drop of booze. We have a job to do.

After the finish in South Padre Island, however, I somehow ended up in Wisconsin the next morning.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-25-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

As #2 boat in an overnight series, our clever skipper bought two rounds for the #1 boat when they pulled up a table next to ours. Figuring, if he could get them hungover...(G)...all's fair in love and war, right?

But all this discussion would be remiss if not to mention, there are still many YCs that sponsor weeknight racing, where the YC puts out a buffett and cash bar after the races. Skipper has the YC membership, often buys the first round, but the whole crew can join the buffett.
Old 07-25-2012

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

I'm not a serious racer. We do our local club's Wednesday night series and the occasional day-long or two-day-long race. We also take crew for 2-5 day cruises. I pick up all expenses that I would otherwise pick up if no crew came along - fuel, dockage, entrance fees, etc. I provide ice, some beer, and access to the ship's stores, including booze. Sometimes I'll bring a bucket of chicken or cheese for a Wednesday night race. For "big" events, like the Governors' Cup, I'll also provide shirts and hats with the boat's logo. When we provision, I'll either assign crew responsibility for a certain meal ("Kathy, you make lunch on Saturday. Brian, you have breakfast on Sunday," etc.) and I assign myself a meal as well; or we'll split the provisioning costs and have one designated cook. Our crew nearly always bring beer or a bottle and often bring things to eat, even onr non-provisioned day sails and evening races. Currently, we've got about 9 bottles of assorted spirits aboard since even we can't keep up with the donations to the liquor locker.

What kind of crew do we get? Certainly not professional-grade crew, but we don't have a problem filling the manifest.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!