LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Who pays for the food and beer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Wednesday nights:

I've been providing beer, ice, soda and chips. After a while, some of my crew decided on their own, that it would be fair to contribute, so they do.

Distance races and practice days:

I provide a 2-foot sub (or two), and ice. The crew brings whatever drinks and snacks they feel like having. If it's an overnight race, I'll also provide breakfast.
When the weather was cooler, I whipped up omelettes, bacon, coffee and toast.
Now that the weather is hotter than six hells, it's been hard boiled eggs and iced coffee.

With one exception (whom I fired), my crew has been very appreciative of my generosity, and has started kicking in more for food and beverages as they began to realize that not only was I feeding and equipping them, but that I was also pouring money into my boat to improve it for them.

I won't let 'em pay for any boat material though. That's my domain and I won't let anyone have a financial stake in the boat itself.
I think that reflects the relationship you have with your crew. Together you've come up with something that works. Great.

I raced on one particular boat for several years that had a similar kind of evolutionary relationship. The owners realized that they weren't feeding and watering the crew as much as in previous years, the crew was showing up for boat work days, and something else was appropriate to thank the crew. At the end of the season we got nice little (inexpensive) pewter cups with the name of the boat and our big wins. It was great, and the next work day on the boat had a huge turn-out.

In my mind it isn't quid pro quo, it is a relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
I certainly don't take it personally if a skipper doesn't supply all of my food and drink, although I do show my appreciation if he does! To me it is not about getting free beer, it is about whether I enjoy racing on that boat with that team.
Relationship.

On a related note, y'all keep talking about chips. Really? The grease and oil on fingers isn't a problem for you? No issue with slips and stains?
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

I typically stock Sun Chips, which have little or no oil in them. We also typically only eat on the motor back in.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 07-25-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

It starts as a "transaction". Then it becomes a "relationship" if the transaction works out well.

As for chips - hell yeah!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-25-2012

lapworth is on a distinguished road

There was a thread asking why people think sailors are cheap. Not trying to brake the bank but dam you can buy a 30 pack for $20. There where times Bubble told us not to bring any more because his boat was getting to heavy.
Old 07-25-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

I’ve always thought of sandwiches and beer as a token of appreciation bestowed upon the crew by the skipper. I figure that if the crew were going to give up their Saturdays for me, at least I ought to feed them. When we went to the Nationals, I also sprang for the big dinner – after all, if it wasn’t for them… Putting them all in matching shirts and ball caps is also a token of appreciation and besides, its easier to spot them in the beer tent when we are all sporting our “gang” colors. I suppose that at the entry level, crew might be willing to spring for food and drink just so they could get some experience. But at the level of racing I’m involved with, I don’t expect to get free matching Musto foulies, but I also don’t expect to have to self cater either.
CBinRI and SVAuspicious like this.
Old 07-25-2012
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

I race my own boat and on others. For regular rides I try to pick up the bar tab every now and again. Bring a bottle of booze, or some jerky or chips. I know exactly what the skipper puts into a racing boat, and it's a lot. Does it make a difference in the $10-15k yearly budget? Not even a dent, but I know the skipper appreciates it.

On my boat, I supply food, drinks and maybe a snack while on the boat. I don't do the small club races, or weeknight racing. For regulars, I'll have tech shirts made and hand those out (like I have any regulars...).

I believe there is a minimum you should do, then if you win, you should do more. Reward the extra effort. When we won DTB, I went ahead and picked up the hotel room for the crew. Won coastie cup, and bought lunch/drinks for the crew. Seeing as my crew is in their 20's, a bar tab can be $150-250 without much effort. Just part of the game.

I'm not sure how to get regular crew and keep them. I've tried everything. Food, hotel, booze, clothes, tech gear, new sails, etc. And still, I've never had one crew come out to roll on some new bottom paint. I've even offered to supply the crew with matching spray tops or foulie jackets. I get nothing. Hardest part is to get people to commit who have the same goals you do. Everyone seems to have better things to do.
Old 07-25-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Putting them all in matching shirts and ball caps is also a token of appreciation and besides, its easier to spot them in the beer tent when we are all sporting our “gang” colors.
Oh yeah, I remember you guys...

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-25-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

You got a fine looking crew there Smack, but I’ll stick with my own boat bunnies for now.

smackdaddy likes this.
Old 07-25-2012

CBinRI is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by obanarama View Post
I've always provided beer, snacks, and sandwiches for my Tuesday night can racing crew. My wife just realized this and says I'm too generous. I say its what every skipper does for his race crew.

Who's right?
Me too. Food and beer. Or else they might not come next time.
Old 08-01-2012

Stuff4Toys is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Stuff4Toys

I provide SubWay Subs and all the water we can possibly think about drinking. I don't drink alcoholic beverages, so the crew will often bring a few bottles of beer to share on the ride home.
-