Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012

dugout is on a distinguished road
Re: Who pays for the food and beer?

When I used to race the serious owners provided travel expenses, hotel and airfare, and yes "ships stores". Captain and Crew raced the boat. Even in local stuff, the owner provided ship's stores if he wanted any kind of crew worth having. Crew throws a big party/dinner at the end of the season for the owner and his family and presents a "gift" like a professional aerial photo of the boat and some gag gifts.
I'd be real disappointed if I busted my tail all day and there wasn't at least a cold beer after tagging and bagging, even after a beer can series.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

If you come racing with me, expect to provide at least a packet of biscuits.. and Crew Tax.

Stuffit, I've got a boat to maintain and race entry fees to pay here. You can't expect to rock up happy-as-Larry and head out on a Sunday picnic... If that's what you're after, book a ride on the spectator boat!!
L124C likes this.

Last edited by Classic30; 10-17-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-18-2012

charlie000 is on a distinguished road

I guess it depends on if you are "crew" or if its all one big team.
I crew on a modest keelboat. The skipper and crew are all friends, I would not roll up to a party at his house empty handed. I wouldn't roll up to a race empty handed either. If I felt I was a lesser part of the team I don't think a free sandwich and beer would keep me on the boat. As a celebrated BOAT TRAMP I crew on lots of boats and I go with the flow of the boat, which of course is exactly how the owner wants to run it. Some boats have been alcohol free until we are tied up along side afterwards, all have been fun. Maybe as yachts get bigger crew expectations rise also. How we raced, communicated and celebrated are the factors that decide if I'll crew again. so far haven't found a skipper i couldn't crew for or didn't want me back.
Old 01-20-2013
arrgh!

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road

Does the crew get a vote --- or even a partial vote? they might break the 1-1 tie in your family.

Actually this should be a formula that factors in: your ability to pay, dedication of crew, what weapons your wife owns, thickness of the skin you own, and all divided by love
L124C, bljones and joyinPNW like this.

Vector X + Y
Old 02-04-2013

SailRacer is on a distinguished road

Whatever you do, find out the expected protocol prior to your first day out.

Sail safe!
bljones likes this.
Old 03-24-2013

LASWACK is on a distinguished road

Yet to crew without cold adult beverages and at least snacks, but I never show up empty handed either!
Old 05-14-2013

L124C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
If you come racing with me, expect to provide at least a packet of biscuits.. and Crew Tax.

Stuffit, I've got a boat to maintain and race entry fees to pay here. You can't expect to rock up happy-as-Larry and head out on a Sunday picnic... If that's what you're after, book a ride on the spectator boat!!
On a amateur/beer can level I completely agree. I'm amazed how many people have shown up on my boat empty handed, especially for day sailing. Yet, they will happily accept beer or food anyone is willing to share. I never show up anywhere empty handed. It's just not my nature.
For beer can racing, I think the tradition here is the skipper buys the crew a round at the yacht club after the race. I think it should be the other way around. I guess the logic is: Guys with yachts are rich. News Flash......My "yacht" is 40 years old!

Last edited by L124C; 05-14-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-15-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I don't drink so when I crew I bring what I'll need for gear and food and water. I'm not morally loosed to alcohol but since I don't drink it I don't bring it. I think if you do a six pack should be brought. The if you forget things like water you can feel better drinking theirs since you brought beer for everyone. That pretty much seems pretty standard even on Simeon the more serious boats I raced on. I have found people quite sharing. Unless you habitually show up empty handed and always take they probably won't care. Dot forget to brin something at least the jest few times. People remember that first impression
Old 05-15-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

The skipper on whose boat I crewed the most was a nice, generous man who supplied food and water during the race, and beer afterward.

The only disturbing aspect was the method of delivery: typically, we would be sitting on the rail and a sandwich would be delivered fireman style - hand to hand to hand - and those hands weren't all that clean.
Old 05-15-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
The skipper on whose boat I crewed the most was a nice, generous man who supplied food and water during the race, and beer afterward.

The only disturbing aspect was the method of delivery: typically, we would be sitting on the rail and a sandwich would be delivered fireman style - hand to hand to hand - and those hands weren't all that clean.
James, you need to thank your crew for helping to boost your immune system

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------