Not a Member? 

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Re: Who pays for the food and beer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Around here captain supplies the boat. Crew provide the beer. What is food?
Beer

Except for my first boat where everyone was a dirtbag sailor, including the owner's son who skippered the boat, dad had his own to race. everyone brought their own beer, on long races everyone brought even more beer which was in lew of the food not brought.

Mostly skipper provides food, crew beer, in my experience. A boat I raced briefly last year is owned by a guy who bought a 41' race boat to piss off a girlfriend. He had never raced or even sailed before then. He provided the beer and food which equaled rum and rum. He got two experienced crusty old sailors to help him race and win on his boat. They also threatened mutiny when the quality or rum was not up to par. I remember one of the races in which one of the old guys had some back problems. He still showed up before the race to help out and drink some rum, then walked back to his waterfront condo while we raced then showed up after the race to "help" out some more.

Living in Socal I do not know if I will ever be able to afford a big sailboat, doubt I will be able to ever race one of my own, I would rather break someone elses boat, anyways. Besides the boat, slip, new sails, the other expenses include feeding the crew, maybe a logo'd shirt of jacket. If you have a crew of rockstar sailors it probably also includes hotel rooms on long races.

My current boat just sent an email around to the crew discussing what we can do for the skipper to thank him for our free ride 50 days a year. The discussion focused on the traditions involved and not wanting to insult the Skipper.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2013

On another note I learned to race for the cost of a 12 pack.

When I first learned to race, or moved to a new town, I would buy a 12 pack, and walk the dock with my sailing bag over my shoulder and a 12 pack in my hand asking, "do you need crew?"

No matter wind conditions or crew size I was usually on by the second boat I asked.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-15-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

je-
I'd bet that if you all chipped in and either hired someone, or did the work yourselves, the skipper would be tickled pink to find the entire boat, cabin, decks, all cleaned and the hull waxed and polished as well.
Of course it might be simpler and cheaper to just take him out to a good dinner. (G)
Old 05-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
je-
I'd bet that if you all chipped in and either hired someone, or did the work yourselves, the skipper would be tickled pink to find the entire boat, cabin, decks, all cleaned and the hull waxed and polished as well.
Of course it might be simpler and cheaper to just take him out to a good dinner. (G)
The boat is being taken out for bottom paint on Saturday and we have been invited to do some waxing while its on the hard. I was assigned a 3 day trip late last night that may prevent me from helping out. But having been marginally employed for 7 months, I can't turn down any work. I may have to buy him that dinner, when I'd rather work on the boat.
Old 06-10-2013

L124C is on a distinguished road
Who pays for speakers?

Had a guest put his foot through one of my cockpit speakers! He didn't even mention it until I pointed it out. He sheepishly responded "Oh yeah....sorry man!". Never offered to pay or help me fix it. I wouldn't have accepted anyway, but the offer (or at least pointing it out when he did it) would have kept him on my crew list!
Ironically, when I asked earlier in the day if he wanted to hear some music, he said "No, I prefer the sounds of the sea". I guess he wasn't kidding!
Oh yeah...he also failed the "ice test". I gave him five bucks and asked him to get a block of ice from the Harbormaster. He came back with the ice and my $3 in change. C'mon man....show some class!
Attached Thumbnails
Who pays for the food and beer?-0609131446.jpg  

Last edited by L124C; 06-11-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-10-2013

Stuff4Toys is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Stuff4Toys
Re: Who pays for speakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by l124c View Post
had a guest put his foot through one of my cockpit speakers! He didn't even mention it until i pointed it out. He sheepishly responded "oh yeah....sorry man!". Never offered to pay or help me fix it. I wouldn't have accepted anyway, but the offer (or at least pointing it out when he did it) would have kept him on my crew list!
amen
-

Old 06-10-2013

Dauntless Brent is on a distinguished road

Not to step on any toes. But! If I'm going to crew in a race I feel that the Capt. should be kicking in the beer and sandwiches. I wouldn't have someone helping me paint my house supply their own beer and lunch. Just sayin.
Old 06-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
je-
Bottom got delayed and painted last week. Most of the regular crew showed up on Saturday before the work done and waxed the hull above the boot line in 4 hours. The skipper is very appreciative. We solved the beer discussion by winning the 1st two Wednesdays in a row. The prize was from a really good local brewery.

The best part of that is most of the crew only drinks crappy Mexican beer. The bad part is I am not drinking until I get below 200 lbs.
Old 06-10-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
Bottom got delayed and painted last week. Most of the regular crew showed up on Saturday before the work done and waxed the hull above the boot line in 4 hours. The skipper is very appreciative. We solved the beer discussion by winning the 1st two Wednesdays in a row. The prize was from a really good local brewery.

The best part of that is most of the crew only drinks crappy Mexican beer. The bad part is I am not drinking until I get below 200 lbs.
Well, is that US pounds or those extra heavy Imperial pounds? I make exceptions for local beer, since it does not travel very far it could not possibly pick up many calories! (makes it hard to understand how I have lost 20 US pounds)
Old 06-10-2013

L124C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntless Brent View Post
Not to step on any toes. But! If I'm going to crew in a race I feel that the Capt. should be kicking in the beer and sandwiches. I wouldn't have someone helping me paint my house supply their own beer and lunch. Just sayin.
Just sayin...you'd better be a pro!
For others (unlike "painting a house") sailing is fun. I teach people to sail and crew (on a armature level), for nothing. I provide the boat (slip fee and insurance and maintenance), and any knowledge and experience I have. The least they could do is bring something.
If your invited to someone's home (as a guest, not to "paint" it) do you come empty handed? I hope not!
Pro sailors on the other hand, are skilled athletes, don't make much and their employers generally have deep pockets and expensive toys! "Just sayin!..."

Last edited by L124C; 06-11-2013 at 01:54 PM.