Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2012

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
Re: racing rules question narrow channel

Regardless of the rules, pushing another persons boat is bad sportsmanship. I would try to take the high road, and not further compound anothers bad sportsmanship with my own, however if the deck is stacked there is no point in further competition.

There are plenty of race clubs, where the competition is fair, and rules are enforced evenly, (with some allowance for newbe's). And the other members are friendly, and work toward the best possible race for all, not how to take out the other boats.

I have gotten good advice from other club members, as well as techniques on how to improve my time, and abilities. I would go where I could sail and be appreciated.
Old 08-05-2012

bobbylockes is on a distinguished road

its just a social evening sailing as they reminded me when I protested.. however collisions are not social events. I can't think of more anti-social behaviour than pushing a boat into the reeds after screaming that "should've fallen away". If the incident was a one-off I would've forgotten it but these incidents follow this sail referee like a bad smell. I'm indeed wondering where else I can sail.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Honestly it sounds like the guy's just a peckerhead. I think you need to repeatedly humiliate him on the course in the next few races. That always works.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-06-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

How do the other racing members of the club feel? Perhaps it's time for new administration.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 08-06-2012

I suspect no-one else would run the administration of the 'club'. No-one is particularly enthusiastic.

They have been the core members of the club since its inception 12 years ago, it is only the past 2 years that they took over because no-one else wanted to do it. They are doing their best to promote the club and get sponsorship (they used to run a harbour on the lake so they know alot of people) but despite their efforts the better sailors are leaving or have left. I'm also part of the club committee , but more a silent member with no real function just to make up the numbers so the club could deemed a legal club in the eyes of the local council. Year on year for the last 5 years members have been cancelling their subscriptions. I think its dropped from 200 to 36 paying members. There used to be at least 10+ boats each friday with 2 or 3 people in each boat. Now its barely 6 and some are single-handed. Other clubs on the lake are suffering a similar fate though. It makes me mad to think of their behaviour and how good sailors cancelled their subscriptions. My girlfriend just told me that she never became a member because of the shouting, aggressiveness and arrogance. Before I became a member they would tell yarns of fist-fights back on the dock after the race because someone cheated. It's such a shame these people can't play fairly without the need for a referee because it's such a nice lake and course.
Old 08-06-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Sounds like the ship is sinking and it is time to go elsewhere.

Send in your notice: "You are all wankers and I'm going to sail with real sailors."

Best of luck. I feel for you.
smackdaddy likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 08-06-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"I think its dropped from 200 to 36 paying members."
So where did the other 164 people go? And if they didn't go somewhere else, that's your chance to ask them to form a new club with some different attitudes.

Meanwhile...you get a 10# Danforth and about six feet of line, attach it to your friend's keel, and watch the show when he gets into shallow water and his boat simply bogs down and anchors itself.
Old 08-06-2012

I'm in the club committee with these 3 other guys from the other team. I've penned a very short email (one sentence) to cancel my subscription from next year. And another email with the link to the rule that Tempest posted and that my decision to cancel description is not just based on the one incident but the atmosphere has been bad for some time. Not sure whether to send both, one, or none. Many thanks for the balanced responses to this. Much appreciated as I enjoy sailing on this lake from that harbour on a friday evening. I love the challenge of trying to sail as efficiently as possible. I only started sailing 7 years ago. It's pure magic plucking horse-power out of thin air, literally magic. Having passionate sailors to sail against is also important, however sailing against habitual aggression and disrespect cancels out enjoyment like a hole in the boat. It's a very, very tough decision! all the comments are very much appreciated. together they give a very balanced view.

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Everyone has a different tolerance level for BS. This is supposed to be fun for you. If you find that it's more BS than you need then finding another more pleasant club might be the ticket.

On the other hand, I've never let anyone or anything drive me away from something that I love. I've always outlasted my enemies, detracters, distracters..
In my experience... they all step on their own D@@ks sooner or later.
So if this is a place that you really enjoy, would like to be part of, and feel that you can contribute to it's improvement, then stick around, kill em with kindness and professionalism and let them impale themselves. They will eventually self-implode.

If you do stick around, Gentle pressure- Relentlessly Applied.. could effect the changes you desire.
Sailormon6 and smackdaddy like this.
Old 08-06-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Everyone has a different tolerance level for BS. This is supposed to be fun for you. If you find that it's more BS than you need then finding another more pleasant club might be the ticket.

On the other hand, I've never let anyone or anything drive me away from something that I love. I've always outlasted my enemies, detracters, distracters..
In my experience... they all step on their own D@@ks sooner or later.
So if this is a place that you really enjoy, would like to be part of, and feel that you can contribute to it's improvement, then stick around, kill em with kindness and professionalism and let them impale themselves. They will eventually self-implode.

If you do stick around, Gentle pressure- Relentlessly Applied.. could effect the changes you desire.
This^

And like I said, just start beating the guy consistently. Winning's the best revenge.
Tempest likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40