Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012

MITBeta is on a distinguished road
Re: racing rules question narrow channel

So why didn't you luff him up instead? Or tack and get out ahead of him? Or slow down, let him go by and tack under him?

I'm not saying you weren't right, but you still had a lot of options.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2012

bobbylockes is on a distinguished road

I mentioned the racing rules are written by gentlemen for gentlemen to my girlfriend. "Gentleman?" she said, "you are racing in holland..." !!!

MITBEta,
I did try to luff up but he repeated that I should've fallen away. So I fell back to avoid a collision as it was clear he wasn't going to luff up with me. I could've slowed down by letting the jib off, I could've given way in that manner yes. But thats an option that I never thought of as I always fall away or tack in front. Slowing down is worse than falling away as it takes time to lose speed and alot of time to regain the speed (its a hevy boat) and also the rudder is less effective at lower speeds, which is potentially dangerous.

Last edited by bobbylockes; 08-09-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-09-2012

svauspicious,

thanks for the balanced email. I suppose you are correct, the blue boat skippered simply abused his knowledge, experience in the protest room and standing in the club to successfully cheat and behave onthe psot like the judge, jury and executioner. There is no rule that exists that says I couldn't tack in the middle of the channel in order to give way. I was equal distance from reeds both sides of the channel as the witness confirmed. takcing was the lesser of 2 evils.

ultimately in amateur sport requires gentlemanly conduct. And thats what is missing in his boat. You are right rules can't enforce integrity. They can try but I suppose the rule book woul be as big as there are situation.

thanks.
Old 08-09-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

I'm astounded that anyone would suggest that you can't tack under someone and have all rights to luff up within two boat lengths. As described--and we only have your perspective--the other skipper was not only wrong but rude.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-09-2012

luffing up is something the blue bost skipper has never done. He always comes out with the infamous excuse that he wasnt given enough time to luff up. as the rules dont stipulate a time he always gets the benefot of the doubt due to his knowedge of the rules.

I understand the rules such that the 2 boat lengths between boats during luffing up is irrelevant when sailing upwind. 2 boat lengths is only relevent when sailing correcct course downwind. but anyway when I started the tack I was clear ahead and he didnt acquire overlap by the time my boom was on starboard tack, which means I was clear ahead and had luffing rights. Upwind the correct course is sailing as close to the wind as you like as possible. However it's another vague gentlemanly aspect to the rule that the windward boat has enough time to luff up. A gentlemen has patience and takes his time obviously and that is the explanation the blue boat skipper uses when saying he doesnt have time to luff up.
Old 08-10-2012
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylockes View Post
I understand the rules such that the 2 boat lengths between boats during luffing up is irrelevant when sailing upwind. 2 boat lengths is only relevent when sailing correcct course downwind.
Sorry - I wasn't clear.

My understanding is that if a burdened vessel changes course to become the stand-on vessel, the previously-burdened vessel needs to BE the stand-on vessel for two boat lengths before actually privileged.

My understanding could easily be dated as I race with pretty laid-back people and I haven't been in a protest room for a long time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-10-2012

Thats why I aborted the idea of luffing up, I give him the benefit of the doubt. I decided just concentrate on getting speed up, ready for a tack at the reeds. What bugs me the most is that if he'd have been in my position and I'd been in his position, I would've expected him to tack under, and like him I would not have protested. Yet unlike him I would've certainly have given room. And rightly so.

He didn't just want the lead, he wanted to dominate. The arrogance bugs me as well as the unsportsman-like behaviour.
Old 08-10-2012
Mermaid Hunter

Which returns me to my original reaction. He was 1. rude and 2. wrong.

Old 08-10-2012

MITBeta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
My understanding is that if a burdened vessel changes course to become the stand-on vessel, the previously-burdened vessel needs to BE the stand-on vessel for two boat lengths before actually privileged.
I don't think there's anything in the rules about boat lengths, but the privileged boat definitely needs to give the give way boat time to react when asserting that privilege. I was in a race a month or two ago where I was downwind of another boat on the downwind leg of the race, both of us on port tack. The boat upwind of me jibed, called "STARBOARD TACK" and immediately banged into me. In his defense, he apologized and claims the boat got away from him in the jibe, but the point is the same: he didn't give me time to react to his jibe. (No damage done, by the way...)
Old 08-18-2012
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

I wonder: Might the other skipper's behavior improve if you had a GoPro or similar video camera on your boat?

I do not understand the title "referee" although ISAF does have the very similar title of "International Umpire" along with international race officers, judges, and measurers. Holland has only one international umpire, but does have several international race officers and more than a dozen judges. National authorities such as the watersportverbond.nl can also appoint national, regional, or local race officials; I don't know how this is organized in Holland. Jos Spijkerman's rrsstudy blog at blogspot.com might be a good place to find out what is the actual status is of the person on the other boat.