SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Racing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/racing/)
-   -   AC72 - On Foils (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/racing/91673-ac72-foils.html)

tdw 09-03-2012 07:30 PM

AC72 - On Foils

This was posted on SA over the weekend but dismissed as a photoshop touch up.

Sail-World however are claiming no spoof ... this is very real indeed.

Check it out if you wish here -

http://www.sail-world.com/photos_201...t_ETNZ004A.jpg

Sail-World.com : America's Cup: Emirates Team NZ foiling on Waitemata Harbour - Images

poopdeckpappy 09-03-2012 09:07 PM

I'm not getting why this was being dismissed, I thought this was borderline old school already.

smackdaddy 09-03-2012 09:15 PM

Re: AC72 - On Foils

That is insane! Serious balancing act.

I wonder what the speed was. I heard the top speed of the 72s have been in the 40s. Wow.

CBinRI 09-03-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackdaddy (Post 917587)
That is insane! Serious balancing act.

I wonder what the speed was. I heard the top speed of the 72s have been in the 40s. Wow.

Whether I'm on port or starboard I don't think I'll have time to get out of the way.

smackdaddy 09-03-2012 10:03 PM

What's interesting to me about these large racing multis is that they are reaching speeds that compete with and surpass most motor vessels. This is especially true when the sea states are up enough that smaller, faster motor vessels have to slow way down to stay stable.

It's crazy to think that the sailboat is becoming the fastest all-round means of sea travel.

tdw 09-03-2012 10:52 PM

CBinRI .... I have enough trouble keeping out the way of the Moth Foilers on Sydney Harbour .... if I saw that thing I think I'd simply duck and pray.

Smack .... I doubt very much if that baby is ever going to cross an ocean ... :eek:

PoopDeck ... A 72' foiler is old school ? Not in my universe.

poopdeckpappy 09-04-2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdw (Post 917623)
PoopDeck ... A 72' foiler is old school ?

Sorry tdw, I'm thinking that may not have come out right; foils have been around for quite some time ( couple decades maybe ) so that's where my old school reference came from and why I didn't understand the dismissal or claims of photoshop, the tech has been around.

However, Foils on a 72' is impressive without question.

Now my arms are tired with all that back stroking:o:)

tdw 09-04-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy (Post 917637)
I'm thinking that may not have come out right; foils have been around for quite some time ( couple decades maybe ) so that's where my old school reference came from and why I didn't understand the dismissal or claims of photoshop, the tech has been around.

However, Foils on a 72' is impressive without question.

Now my arms are tired with all that back stroking:o:)

No sweat .... smiling while I typed, smiling while I read your reply. i had a vague feeling that you had missed something.

I am still stunned to watch the kids out and about on their Moth foilers. One young lad (who went on to win gold in the 470s at the Olympics) went round the lake course we use for the 24hr race at an average speed of 25knots despite missing the start cos his iPod wasn't working properly and stopping to pick up his hat when it blew off.

The thought of the same thing but 72' long is simply mind boggling.

poopdeckpappy 09-04-2012 12:56 AM

A few years back there was a french built foiled trimaran that clocked mid 50's,in the SF bay, it was later clocked in the low 60's but flipped somewhere off France.

night0wl 09-04-2012 01:17 AM

As a member of the race committee of our sailing club, I fear this technology making cruising multi-hulls someday. Imagine the grumbling around club ratings once the first foiling multi decides to beer can!!!!