Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012

allene222 is on a distinguished road
Re: StartLine Sailing Racing Android App

I am happy to see that we have worked out a cross link agreement and this thread it active again. Here is a photo of StartLine running on a Nexus-One phone.

Some questions came up on the best way to use this app. Looking at this display for an example. You want to do a modified Vanderbilt start. You decide that you want to start 9 seconds from the port pin. You set up by getting your boat near the desired distance from the layline and head away from the line. You adjust your heading to stay 9 seconds from the layline. You know, from a practice run that it takes 15 seconds to gybe and accelerate so when you see the time to burn read 15 seconds you start your gybe and head to the line. This is the start that the winning America's Cup Regatta boats used in the fleet races. They started way away from all the other boats that were all waiting near the line and hit the line at full speed at the gun.

The advantage of this strategy is that you set up well ahead of the start so you can get in position without killing time at the last minute. You arrive at your position on the layline and it doesn't really matter if you are early or late as you will be sailing away from the line until your time is right and in doing so you are still set up perfectly for your desired start. This is just one of many possible strategies, all of which will work.

Allen
L-36.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Allen--

I'm glad to see that you and Brian/Sailnet have reached an accommodation. I think your "App" can/will prove very useful to the racing set. Good luck and good racing!

Cheers!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 11-24-2012

For the next week, the pre-release version of StartLine version 2 is on the Google Play store for free download. It will expire in about a week but I would like to invite people to try it and give me feedback on what they want to see included in version 2. The main difference is that more traditional features are included like a distance to the line screen and 5 minute count down timers. The Gun/Sync button does different things depending on what state the timer is in. If you long press it it might do something different than if you just tap it, for example. This allows it to be reset and to have the number of minutes increased before it starts.

The $5 version will be updated with all the pre-release features when everyone's wish list is either incorporated or it is explained that the functionality is already in there.

Thanks to everyone for the support.

Allen
L-36.com
Old 11-26-2012

paulk is on a distinguished road

Kind of agree with both Brian and Overbored. Is this like talking on your cellphone while you're driving? Whether I'm headed to Bermuda or 'round the buoys, if I'm looking at a screen instead of the boats around me any time within three minutes of the start, I'm likely to hit something expensive. If I have crew to tell me what the screen is showing, they could just as easily be sighting the line and warning me about other boats hidden by the jib at the same time. Oh, and think about buying an ad. (Bet the guys on SA aren't so polite.)
Old 11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Kind of agree with both Brian and Overbored. Is this like talking on your cellphone while you're driving? Whether I'm headed to Bermuda or 'round the buoys, if I'm looking at a screen instead of the boats around me any time within three minutes of the start, I'm likely to hit something expensive. If I have crew to tell me what the screen is showing, they could just as easily be sighting the line and warning me about other boats hidden by the jib at the same time. Oh, and think about buying an ad. (Bet the guys on SA aren't so polite.)
Do you do your starts without a watch? No GPS to help you get to the marks? Obviously no Velocitek or Rock Box Blue.

Personally I find this app very helpful. I mount a tablet in the cabin where I can see it with a quick glance. On a tablet the numbers are 1 inch high and easy to see quickly. I know there are some boats that can use this on a phone hand held but not all. This is a very powerful app for very little money. I think I might raise the price to $49.99 to gain some respect for what this thing can do. This is not a toy.

As far as buying an ad goes, lighten up folks. I can't buy one if the folks at SA don't reply to my request for a quote can I? I put in my request before I made the first post in this thread as I recall.

Perhaps a little background. I worked building electronic test equipment for 21 years. I have a dozen or so patents to show for it. I consider myself something of an expert on test methods. Then I went to a small company where we happened to invent the cable modem. I went from engineering to become the divisions VP/GM. From there I went to a big blue company you all know and love where I was GM of a small operation. I left there and ended up writing the L-36.com web site and keep that up for the sailing community. That is a free site although it does generate a small amount of revenue. It is ranked above many other sailing sites, just above Quantumsails.com for example but nowhere near this site. I have had my boat since 1989 and am presently enjoying some success in our club racing. It is not high stakes racing but we won 85% of our races last year. I tried every racing app I could find at the time and wrote the shortcomings of them in articles on L-36.com for all to see. I did not want to write this app but did because nothing else was acceptable. This one works in race conditions.

I am sure you are a hot shot racer and don't need any help to win every start and if so more power to you. I am trying to help people who could benefit from an app that is more powerful than much of the dedicated equipment out there that costs hundreds of dollars. That said it isn't for everyone.

Allen
L-36.com
Old 12-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by allene222 View Post
For the next week, the pre-release version of StartLine version 2 is on the Google Play store for free download. It will expire in about a week but I would like to invite people to try it and give me feedback on what they want to see included in version 2. The main difference is that more traditional features are included like a distance to the line screen and 5 minute count down timers. The Gun/Sync button does different things depending on what state the timer is in. If you long press it it might do something different than if you just tap it, for example. This allows it to be reset and to have the number of minutes increased before it starts.

The $5 version will be updated with all the pre-release features when everyone's wish list is either incorporated or it is explained that the functionality is already in there.

Thanks to everyone for the support.

Allen
L-36.com
I released version 3 today. It is a significant upgrade in terms of additional features. I started another thread with details.

Tags
android , app , racing