Old 05-12-2013

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: AC 72 crashes, 1 dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
They said the wind was 20K gusting 30k.
Regards
Paulo
As indicated in the OP, I saw the higher estimates as well. But another article stated:
" Organizing official, Iain Murray, said conditions Thursday afternoon were typical on San Francisco Bay, which often sees hard-blowing winds. The Artemis was operating in winds of 15 to 20 knots, with occasionally stiffer gusts."
As usual, info and speculation run wild early on. "Boat broke up before pearling", "Broke up after pearling" (very different implications!), "very windy, "average wind", etc.
Tried to bring up the wind archives for Angel Island on Iwindsurf, but can't do it for some reason.

Last edited by L124C; 05-12-2013 at 05:12 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
As indicated in the OP, I saw the higher estimates as well. But another article stated:
" Organizing official, Iain Murray, said conditions Thursday afternoon were typical on San Francisco Bay, which often sees hard-blowing winds. The Artemis was operating in winds of 15 to 20 knots, with occasionally stiffer gusts."
As usual, info and speculation run wild early on. "Boat broke up before pearling", "Broke up after pearling" (very different implications!), "very windy, "average wind", etc.
Tried to bring up the wind archives for Angel Island on Iwindsurf, but can't do it for some reason.
Yes, it was said that the boat break first then pitch pole but if it had break the way it was said I doubt it would have pitch polled. The official statement is clear about the wind (18/20K with stronger gusts) and about the boat not being broke before pitch polled. They deserve more credibility than the newspapers...but they can be wrong.

regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 05-12-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-12-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

There needs to be something that will prevent a catastrophic event like pitchpoling a cat doing 40 kts with crew that will be tossed like a tissue box in a car crash.

Its possible that the boat should be designed to self destruct and absorb the energy, like cars essentially do today. See if Ellison has enough money to agree to that.
Plake198 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
There needs to be something that will prevent a catastrophic event like pitchpoling a cat doing 40 kts with crew that will be tossed like a tissue box in a car crash...
Big multihulls can do that even if in smaller ones it is much more easy. Here you have another one doing that:

Asking for the impossibility of a cat pithcpoling at speed is as impossible as asking for the impossibility of a race car to flip over. It is not easy but it can happen.

You can ask for special equipment (that they already on the AC) and about training regarding the situation. You can also study safety precautions and I am quite sure that is going to be made, as well as training in what regards these situations but you cannot completely prevent danger or risks when high speeds are involved (only diminish risks), in sailing racing boats, racing motor boats and racing cars, unless you limit their speed to a safe one...and of course...that would not be racing anymore.

Regards

Paulo
L124C likes this.

Old 05-12-2013

Some interesting takes an news:

Patrizio Bert Ellis Italian team Luna Rossa - one of only three challengers of American defenders - is considering the withdrawal. ...In a statement from Prada boss and team owner Patrizio Bertelli, for decades with his Luna Rossa team one of the most passionate Cup-hunters, it said on Saturday: "The America's Cup is not good in its present form. It has passed from a romantic cup to become an extreme sport. I'll let my team decide whether we go ahead and accept any answer....

Yacht magazine:
The new America's Cup should be the Formula 1 of the seas. Now it is... With all the terrible consequences.

Oracle skipper James Spithill had said during a presentation of the Youth America's Cup in San Diego: "The more you accelerate, the faster sail du But there is a danger that you drive into a wall." Spithill was at the wheel, as the defender of the catamaran capsized in October 2012.

Google Tradutor

Old 05-12-2013

L124C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Some interesting takes an news:
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]Patrizio Bert Ellis Italian team Luna Rossa - one of only three challengers of American defenders - is considering the withdrawal. ...In a statement from Prada boss and team owner Patrizio Bertelli, for decades with his Luna Rossa team one of the most passionate Cup-hunters, it said on Saturday: "The America's Cup is not good in its present form. It has passed from a romantic cup to become an extreme sport. I'll let my team decide whether we go ahead and accept any answer....]
Was Mr. Ellis not aware someone could be injured or killed when he signed up? Simpson's odds of being killed driving to the practice were probably much higher than being killed during it. Yet, most of us drive. It's cliché, but I think it needs to be said to keep things in perspective.
Give me the action and athleticism of the current format anytime over the "romance". I'd bet almost every AC sailor would agree. If left to Ellis's "team", I'm guessing they stay in .
Even knowing the risks, how many of us wouldn't jump at the offer to take the guest spot on the AC boats? I for one, wouldn't hesitate!
I save my romantic sentiments for my 40 year old mono hull and the Master Mariner regatta every year. I think our sport needs something exciting to watch, with cutting edge technology. The current format certainly qualifies, and yes...includes some risk. What worth doing doesn't? Well...I guess you could stay home and read War and Peace, but....

Last edited by L124C; 05-12-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-12-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
There needs to be something that will prevent a catastrophic event like pitchpoling a cat doing 40 kts with crew that will be tossed like a tissue box in a car crash.

Its possible that the boat should be designed to self destruct and absorb the energy, like cars essentially do today. See if Ellison has enough money to agree to that.
a. Yes, you can do things to make pitch poling difficult. Slow down to monohull speeds. The reality is that this sort of racing will always push to the limit; if we make the hulls better... then we add more sail! So in performance mutihull sailing it will ALWAYS be possible. Unlike ballasted monos, they do not simply lean over.

b. The second paragraph makes no sense at all without explanation. Flying off a capsizing multi is exhilarating, but 95% of the time it is safer than staying.

c. Monos can pitch pole also, if high performance. I've seen it many times. If you built a planing 40-knot-in-20-knot-breeze mono I'm betting she would be a dangerous handful. It isn't a mono-multi issue, it's the power to weight and the no-limits philosophy.

In my mind, if they are not going to be free to build some thing crazy fast, there are other slow sailing venues.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 05-12-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

My point seems to be misunderstood. I'm not suggesting that they engineer a boat that won't pitchpole. I would insist that they engineer one that would not do so catastrophically, therefore, reducing its potential to kill someone. Air bags, crush zones, better gas mileage, etc, were only engineered upon insistence. Someone pushed back on each as unnecessary or impossible.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-13-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
Was Mr. Ellis not aware someone could be injured or killed when he signed up? Simpson's odds of being killed driving to the practice were probably much higher than being killed during it. Yet, most of us drive. It's cliché, but I think it needs to be said to keep things in perspective.
Give me the action and athleticism of the current format anytime over the "romance". I'd bet almost every AC sailor would agree. If left to Ellis's "team", I'm guessing they stay in .
Even knowing the risks, how many of us wouldn't jump at the offer to take the guest spot on the AC boats? I for one, wouldn't hesitate!
I save my romantic sentiments for my 40 year old mono hull and the Master Mariner regatta every year. I think our sport needs something exciting to watch, with cutting edge technology. The current format certainly qualifies, and yes...includes some risk. What worth doing doesn't? Well...I guess you could stay home and read War and Peace, but....
I totally agree.

If offered a ride, I would sign up in a minute. I am an adult and know the consequences. It is about speed, not necessarily wanting to see something macabre happen.

I Had the opportunity to drive a real Sprint Cup NASCAR on Charlotte Motor Speedway by myself and averaged laps of 160 for 20 minutes. Its all about the speed. That's the fascination.

The AC 72 is all about speed and tactics and state of the art design. Cutting edge. So what if it is a somewhat extreme sport other than the genteel days of old.

Listening to the Mamby Pambys trying to make it safer is not the point. You can only make gliders safer to a point. Maybe they should out law them? You can only make hot air balloons so safe, maybe they should be out lawed. How about base jumping.

These are adults making informed consent decisions.

Its sad the man died. Died doing what he loved.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
....Listening to the Mamby Pambys trying to make it safer is not the point......
Are you kidding me? Name calling those that would suggest it should be safer? Someone lost their loved one to a sport that didn't give him any choice whatsoever. This is evidenced by all those that are so enamored by the idea of being aboard an AC racer and going fast, they would accept whatever risk presented. Give his family a call and let them know you think we're namby pambys, if you have the power of your conviction.

Yes, it should be safer. That doesn't require an absolute. I fully reject that the paid crew has any more choice than a factory worker in a dangerous factory. These men aspire to be AC racing crew and have no choice but to accept whatever risk the previous winner decides the next race is going to take. Mitigating this risk to a level where it's not so obvious that people with continue to be hurt or killed is human. There is no need to return to genteel days to do it.

I'm sure you did your NASCAR laps without a helmet or any other safety features, because you're no namby pamby.

Jeanneau 54DS

Tags
america's cup , artemis , crash , fatality

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.