Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: dnf because of county police boat?

Ok, so I did hear from the fellow who was stopped.
Apparently the Westchester County police boat was hovering near the #8 buoy which was the upwind mark.
The sailboat trying to make the mark initially tried to head in front of the police boat which was moving. Then he changed course to pass the police boat by the stern which was about when they stopped him.
Sounds to me as though the sailboat was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Perhaps I could also say that the police boat was as well.
Obviously the racer's course took him within close proximity to the police boat which seems to be the reason for boarding.
I still don't get the "improper speed" citation though.

I'll be giving any/all LE vessels a wide berth even when racing. We sometimes have to dodge tugs with barges and other large ships; this just adds one more category of boats to avoid.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

It sounds more like "improper speed close to another vessel", rather than "improper speed" per se. It also sounds a bit like the cops thought there was going to be a collision, got a little pissed, and went after the sailboat for anything they could think of. Depending on how close the sailboat cut it, I might be pissed too. Face it, racing boats are still obligated to follow the COLREGS, or Inland Rules, as the case may be.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 05-22-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-22-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

One could always go to court, plead not guilty, then stall the procces as many times as possible, to make them wait for hours at a time til their case comes up, then ask the judge for another delay, on any excuse you can come up with. They hand out tickets on the assumption that you will simply plead guilty, which only encourages them to be abusive.
Old 05-22-2013

boz86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
One could always go to court, plead not guilty, then stall the procces as many times as possible, to make them wait for hours at a time til their case comes up, then ask the judge for another delay, on any excuse you can come up with. They hand out tickets on the assumption that you will simply plead guilty, which only encourages them to be abusive.
In some jurisdictions they might be on overtime for court days, could care less if you delay. They're getting paid anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to boz86 For This Useful Post:
weinie (05-22-2013)
Old 05-22-2013

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Apparently the Westchester County police boat was hovering near the #8 buoy which was the upwind mark.
The sailboat trying to make the mark initially tried to head in front of the police boat which was moving. Then he changed course to pass the police boat by the stern which was about when they stopped him.
Sounds to me as though the sailboat was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Perhaps I could also say that the police boat was as well.
Obviously the racer's course took him within close proximity to the police boat which seems to be the reason for boarding.

I'll be giving any/all LE vessels a wide berth even when racing. We sometimes have to dodge tugs with barges and other large ships; this just adds one more category of boats to avoid.
Aren't the local authorities notified of scheduled races. Even if they wern't, it's usually pretty obvious when a race is in progress. What was the police boat doing sitting in the middle of a race?
Sounds like a simple case of cop on a power trip.
They are never wrong. Even when they are.
Old 05-23-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

@Knotty,

Yes, that is one of the things some club members are hoping the club will do is notify the various LE authorities of our racing schedule, including the buoys we use and our racing schedule.
I agree that the cop(s) wanted to issue some kind of citation to him and when they found that his flares were un-expired, pollution placards in place, adequate pfds they chose "inappropriate speed".

@SBS,
I'm sure that is what the LEO's on the police boat thought. The conditions were light winds (10 k or less) so he could not have been going much more than 5 knots BUT he was likely quite close to them.

If I got this citation I would protest it in court though. Poor little 40' police boat with 400 HP engines threatened by sailboat moving 5 mph.

Another suggestion I heard was for the owner to frame the citation which is essentially for "speeding" in a keel sailboat. How often does that happen?
davidpm and paul323 like this.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-23-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

I would frame it and hang it up. Definitely :-)

The cops probably felt it was bold to sail so close to them, they were probably unaware the buoy was a marker, or that a race was even going on. Or they may have thought it was annoying that all those sailboats were cluttering up the channel.
Old 05-23-2013

steel is on a distinguished road

Isn't a power boat still to give way to a sailboat under sail? If they kept heading across the bow of the police boat I thought the police would have to give way.
Old 05-23-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post

I would suggest that the person contact Senator Charles Shumer, as he is supposed to be working with the local LEOs to reduce the number of boardings and get them to communicate between themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
Isn't a power boat still to give way to a sailboat under sail? If they kept heading across the bow of the police boat I thought the police would have to give way.
Good luck with that. I would doubt they even know the rules of the water. They sure are not going to give right away even if it is due. On the Hudson they are thick with post 911 "Homeland Security" money every department has boats and they like to show there presence.
CalebD likes this.

Last edited by miatapaul; 05-23-2013 at 11:57 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to miatapaul For This Useful Post:
Sal Paradise (05-23-2013)
Old 05-23-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

This is nothing more than abuse of power. I'd fight this tooth and nail.
Color regs do apply and the LEOs either don't know them (bad enough) or feel that they're above the law (even worse).

The sailboat didn't break any laws. Period. I honestly would try and make an example out of this situation and involve people from the club and other local officials. It's bull$hit. They have nothing else better to do so they abuse the little power that has been given to them.
knothead likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to zz4gta For This Useful Post:
knothead (05-24-2013)