dnf because of county police boat? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 13Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 62 Old 05-23-2013 Thread Starter
Tartan 27' owner
 
CalebD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,030
Thanks: 7
Thanked 130 Times in 122 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: dnf because of county police boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
This is nothing more than abuse of power. I'd fight this tooth and nail.
Color regs do apply and the LEOs either don't know them (bad enough) or feel that they're above the law (even worse).

The sailboat didn't break any laws. Period. I honestly would try and make an example out of this situation and involve people from the club and other local officials. It's bull$hit. They have nothing else better to do so they abuse the little power that has been given to them.
While part of me agrees with this sentiment the slightly more practical side of me thinks that it is important to pick your battles wisely. In this case I believe that the owner who was given a citation may very well see it thrown out in court.
There is an active racing program at this club and I am certain that some action (however minor) will be undertaken on behalf of the racers.

Thanks for the Chuck Schumer link Miatapaul.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CalebD is online now  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 62 Old 05-23-2013
Dirt Free
 
boatpoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,418
Thanks: 19
Thanked 51 Times in 48 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: dnf because of county police boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
Isn't a power boat still to give way to a sailboat under sail? If they kept heading across the bow of the police boat I thought the police would have to give way.
Not necessarily. The sailboat is the "stand on" vessel and must maintain his course. The police boat was the "give way" vessel.

If the sailboat was rapidly changing course while rounding a mark he was not "standing" on his course.

This is a regular argument between power and sailboats. It makes things very difficult for a powerboat trying to stay out of the way of a sailboat when the sailboat jibes and tacks and demands that the powerboat keep changing course to stay out of its way. If this is what happened I don't blame the cops for being ticked off.

Be the man Sharon thinks I am - wg
I can do that
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- wg
Be the master of your own disaster - wg
If you're not laughing, you're not doing it right. - wg
if you can live with the consequences, go for it. - wg
I yam what I yam an' thats all that I yam. - Popeye
boatpoker is online now  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #23 of 62 Old 05-24-2013 Thread Starter
Tartan 27' owner
 
CalebD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,030
Thanks: 7
Thanked 130 Times in 122 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: dnf because of county police boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
If the sailboat was rapidly changing course while rounding a mark he was not "standing" on his course.

This is a regular argument between power and sailboats. It makes things very difficult for a powerboat trying to stay out of the way of a sailboat when the sailboat jibes and tacks and demands that the powerboat keep changing course to stay out of its way. Ifthis is what happened I don't blame the cops for being ticked off.
I mostly agree with this. I'm pretty sure that the COLREGS do not mention a boat engaged in racing as being exempt from the navigation rules. Often, racing skippers assume that their race is the tantamount consideration and they are quite used to maneuvering in tight quarters with each other.

Perhaps a polite call on channel 16 would have alerted the police boat of the sailboat's intentions. Perhaps not.

I still don't understand how a sailboat traveling 5 knots is moving at an 'improper speed'. I also have no clew as to why the police were hanging around a navigation buoy in the first place, but of course they can go where they damn well please, can't they?

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CalebD is online now  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #24 of 62 Old 05-24-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 13,863
Thanks: 64
Thanked 334 Times in 314 Posts
Rep Power: 8
   
Re: dnf because of county police boat?

Do we know the full story here yet? While the LEOs may have been jackwads, so may have been the sailboat.

People always assume based upon their predispositions.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Minnewaska is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #25 of 62 Old 05-24-2013 Thread Starter
Tartan 27' owner
 
CalebD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,030
Thanks: 7
Thanked 130 Times in 122 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: dnf because of county police boat?

Yes, Minne.
I heard from the owner of the sailboat who was stopped.
He used the word "buzzed" to describe how he encountered the police boat. He was in pretty close quarters with the fuzz and initially attempted to pass their bow but changed course to pass them astern. The boats had to be in close proximity.
The sailboat owner thought he was racing and trying to make his upwind mark.
The police boat thought the sailboat was razzing him by getting so close.

If the police boat had not been hanging around the windward mark this would likely not have happened.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CalebD is online now  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #26 of 62 Old 05-24-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 13,863
Thanks: 64
Thanked 334 Times in 314 Posts
Rep Power: 8
   
Re: dnf because of county police boat?

Interesting situation. I'm trying to think of how I would handle it. I do not think I would have buzzed the LEO, but if I did, I would have shouted an apology to be sure we were good. I wonder what they actually did. Any chance they felt the LEO was in the way and deserved it? If so..........


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Minnewaska is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #27 of 62 Old 05-24-2013
Senior Member
 
MarkofSeaLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,874
Thanks: 46
Thanked 177 Times in 156 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Dock
Re: dnf because of county police boat?

A sailboat in a race will maneuver much much closer than someone who is not in a race or a racer.
Many cross tacking situations the give way boat will miss the stern of the stand on vessel by just a foot or two. It's normal in racing but freaks the non racers out.

I guess the cops don't know nothing about racing.

Stupid of them.
The racer should take it to court.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MarkofSeaLife is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #28 of 62 Old 05-24-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 13,863
Thanks: 64
Thanked 334 Times in 314 Posts
Rep Power: 8
   
Re: dnf because of county police boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
.....

I guess the cops don't know nothing about racing.

Stupid of them.
The racer should take it to court.
The racer should take it into account. If you race, the idea that you come in much closer quarter than most are comfortable with, should be well understood. It would typically take a bit of diplomacy and tact to undertstand that and defuse a situation, before it becomes an issue.

While these LEOs could be jackwads, all LEOs deal with aggressive "I hate LEO" personalities everyday. Easy job to become jaded before you've ever done anything.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Minnewaska is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #29 of 62 Old 05-24-2013
Senior Member
 
MarkofSeaLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,874
Thanks: 46
Thanked 177 Times in 156 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Dock
Re: dnf because of county police boat?

I do get your point.

I don't know what an LEO is but water police should understand what goes on in their jurisdiction.

Many racers have been in races where one mark stuffed up means much more than one race.
When I was doing Olympic trials the whole fleet finished inside 2 minutes. The difference between one tiny slip up was the difference between getting a place and coming 14th.

Even 8 year old kids in Optimists are going to shave the butt of a boat that's between them and a mark.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MarkofSeaLife is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #30 of 62 Old 05-24-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 13,863
Thanks: 64
Thanked 334 Times in 314 Posts
Rep Power: 8
   
Re: dnf because of county police boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
.....

Even 8 year old kids in Optimists are going to shave the butt of a boat that's between them and a mark.
Yup, I do it all the time with another sailboat on a conflicting tack. At least close enough that non-sailing passengers think we're going to crash. Usually, the other skipper and I pass a non-plussed waive from our respective side deck perch.

I would never do that with a power boat, especially an LEO (law enforcement officer) that I would have no reason to think would understand.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Minnewaska is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
POLICE: Sex abuse suspect tries to escape in sailboat - South County Spotlight NewsReader News Feeds 0 11-02-2011 06:00 PM
Police looking for suspects in alleged boat robbery vega1860 General Discussion (sailing related) 5 10-25-2011 07:29 PM
Storm Damage. Boat Saved by Police. WanderingStar Gear & Maintenance 16 03-20-2010 01:56 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome