Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: dnf because of county police boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
This is nothing more than abuse of power. I'd fight this tooth and nail.
Color regs do apply and the LEOs either don't know them (bad enough) or feel that they're above the law (even worse).

The sailboat didn't break any laws. Period. I honestly would try and make an example out of this situation and involve people from the club and other local officials. It's bull$hit. They have nothing else better to do so they abuse the little power that has been given to them.
While part of me agrees with this sentiment the slightly more practical side of me thinks that it is important to pick your battles wisely. In this case I believe that the owner who was given a citation may very well see it thrown out in court.
There is an active racing program at this club and I am certain that some action (however minor) will be undertaken on behalf of the racers.

Thanks for the Chuck Schumer link Miatapaul.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2013

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
Isn't a power boat still to give way to a sailboat under sail? If they kept heading across the bow of the police boat I thought the police would have to give way.
Not necessarily. The sailboat is the "stand on" vessel and must maintain his course. The police boat was the "give way" vessel.

If the sailboat was rapidly changing course while rounding a mark he was not "standing" on his course.

This is a regular argument between power and sailboats. It makes things very difficult for a powerboat trying to stay out of the way of a sailboat when the sailboat jibes and tacks and demands that the powerboat keep changing course to stay out of its way. If this is what happened I don't blame the cops for being ticked off.
Old 05-24-2013
Tartan 27' owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
If the sailboat was rapidly changing course while rounding a mark he was not "standing" on his course.

This is a regular argument between power and sailboats. It makes things very difficult for a powerboat trying to stay out of the way of a sailboat when the sailboat jibes and tacks and demands that the powerboat keep changing course to stay out of its way. Ifthis is what happened I don't blame the cops for being ticked off.
I mostly agree with this. I'm pretty sure that the COLREGS do not mention a boat engaged in racing as being exempt from the navigation rules. Often, racing skippers assume that their race is the tantamount consideration and they are quite used to maneuvering in tight quarters with each other.

Perhaps a polite call on channel 16 would have alerted the police boat of the sailboat's intentions. Perhaps not.

I still don't understand how a sailboat traveling 5 knots is moving at an 'improper speed'. I also have no clew as to why the police were hanging around a navigation buoy in the first place, but of course they can go where they damn well please, can't they?

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-24-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Do we know the full story here yet? While the LEOs may have been jackwads, so may have been the sailboat.

People always assume based upon their predispositions.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-24-2013
Tartan 27' owner

Yes, Minne.
I heard from the owner of the sailboat who was stopped.
He used the word "buzzed" to describe how he encountered the police boat. He was in pretty close quarters with the fuzz and initially attempted to pass their bow but changed course to pass them astern. The boats had to be in close proximity.
The sailboat owner thought he was racing and trying to make his upwind mark.
The police boat thought the sailboat was razzing him by getting so close.

If the police boat had not been hanging around the windward mark this would likely not have happened.

Everybody has one:

Old 05-24-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Interesting situation. I'm trying to think of how I would handle it. I do not think I would have buzzed the LEO, but if I did, I would have shouted an apology to be sure we were good. I wonder what they actually did. Any chance they felt the LEO was in the way and deserved it? If so..........

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-24-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

A sailboat in a race will maneuver much much closer than someone who is not in a race or a racer.
Many cross tacking situations the give way boat will miss the stern of the stand on vessel by just a foot or two. It's normal in racing but freaks the non racers out.

I guess the cops don't know nothing about racing.

Stupid of them.
The racer should take it to court.

Old 05-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post

I guess the cops don't know nothing about racing.

Stupid of them.
The racer should take it to court.
The racer should take it into account. If you race, the idea that you come in much closer quarter than most are comfortable with, should be well understood. It would typically take a bit of diplomacy and tact to undertstand that and defuse a situation, before it becomes an issue.

While these LEOs could be jackwads, all LEOs deal with aggressive "I hate LEO" personalities everyday. Easy job to become jaded before you've ever done anything.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 05-24-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

I do get your point.

I don't know what an LEO is but water police should understand what goes on in their jurisdiction.

Many racers have been in races where one mark stuffed up means much more than one race.
When I was doing Olympic trials the whole fleet finished inside 2 minutes. The difference between one tiny slip up was the difference between getting a place and coming 14th.

Even 8 year old kids in Optimists are going to shave the butt of a boat that's between them and a mark.

Old 05-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post

Even 8 year old kids in Optimists are going to shave the butt of a boat that's between them and a mark.
Yup, I do it all the time with another sailboat on a conflicting tack. At least close enough that non-sailing passengers think we're going to crash. Usually, the other skipper and I pass a non-plussed waive from our respective side deck perch.

I would never do that with a power boat, especially an LEO (law enforcement officer) that I would have no reason to think would understand.

Jeanneau 54DS