SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Racing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/racing/)
-   -   dnf because of county police boat? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/racing/99717-dnf-because-county-police-boat.html)

CalebD 05-21-2013 08:22 PM

dnf because of county police boat?

We raced last Sunday on the Hudson near the Tappan Zee.
One of the PHRF racing fleet was stopped by a Westchester county police boat.
I was not nearby when the sailboat was "pulled over" so I am not sure what prompted them to do so.
End result: stopped boat received a dnf for the race and a citation for "improper speed". WTF? Improper speed?
I guess all their flares were not expired and their pollution placards were in place, but "improper speed"? On a 30+ foot sailboat? Really?

If I find out more details I will post but at first blush this seems like the LEO's were having fun harassing these sailors, nothing more.

knothead 05-21-2013 08:56 PM

Re: dnf because of county police boat?

I would be interested in hearing the facts about this. Never heard of a sailboat being cited for excessive/improper speed. There must be something else going on.

capttb 05-21-2013 09:02 PM

It's an issue that has had to be addressed in other places subject to inland rules.
http://www.thelog.com/Local/Article/...ts-Council-Nod

CalebD 05-21-2013 09:34 PM

@knotty,
Agreed. I do not know the full story and I was not on the stopped sailboat. Much I do not know.

@capttb,
That is all well and good for Newport Beach Harbor but the area this boat was stopped in is a navigable channel that tugs with barges and other commercial traffic come through at 10+ knots regularly.
I'm pretty sure the guy was not in any 5 mph speed limit area. He did say he kind of "buzzed" the police boat after he rounded an upwind mark. My guess is that the police boat thought the guy came too close to him and "pulled him over" for it.
I still don't get the "improper speed" citation though.

Unkle Toad 05-21-2013 11:38 PM

if your going to "buzz" a police boat you must be going at least 8 knotts .. I think I read that somewhere ..

seriously I really like finding out about these things and how different laws and stuff work in different areas I am interested to find out what really happened and why they were stopped.

BubbleheadMd 05-22-2013 08:00 AM

Is it possible that the police thought that he was going to slow in the channel, creating a hazard? "Improper speed" doesn't have to mean speeding.

Even so, the charge is bunk. Sounds like the Law just had a bug up their ass that day.

Seaduction 05-22-2013 08:27 AM

Geeesh! The nerve of those cops; parking right next to a racing buoy and getting irked because the racer "buzzed" them?! Like sitting on the track at the Daytona 500 and pulling over the "speeders" whizzing by!:hothead

Sal Paradise 05-22-2013 08:27 AM

On the Hudson River we have many police boats. This has been written up extensively in local papers such as the Times Herald Record. One guy got stopped like 8 different times crossing Newburgh Bay a few years ago, each time by a different agaency. The local talk is that any boat with women in bikinis will get stopped at least 4 times in a day.

They stop boats just because that is the job. There are damn few rescues and almost no crime. Difficult to justify a $200,000 boat and two $100,000 salaries and then put no stops on the daily report. Many LE's on these boats come off as smug and heavy handed and they probably couldn't care less about a sailboat race. They want to make a stop, they make it. Expired flares are a favorite citation on the Hudson. And if they can't find anything to write, they write something vague. I have been stopped because they " couldn't see my registration sticker" I pointed to the bow and said - its right there. Then they said they wanted to do a safety check. Mandatory. The boat could have been stopped just because they were close and caught the attention of the officers.

zz4gta 05-22-2013 09:21 AM

More facts please.

RobGallagher 05-22-2013 09:29 AM

Yea, more facts.

Some, notice I use the word "some", racers can be very rude. Someone should have put the word "RACERS" under seaplanes in the ColRegs pecking order. :)

edit: Colregs and Inland rules as S/V Auspicious so kindly pointed out. :)