SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Ranger (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/ranger/)
-   -   Ranger 26 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/ranger/46903-ranger-26-a.html)

gmbandco 09-08-2008 09:53 PM

Ranger 26

I am the proud owner of a 1974 Ranger 26, bought on Ebay in July. I love the boat. Does anyone know of a copy of the owner's manual that I might copy? Also, does anyone have any tips or tricks on this boat? So far I have added a Boomkicker (I had one on my previous boat), and Winchers. I'm putting together a whisker pole. I sail on the Hudson river, north of NYC, in a section called the Tappan Zee.

Thanks in advance.

George

mjhdolfan 10-26-2008 10:38 AM

me too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmbandco (Post 365325)
I am the proud owner of a 1974 Ranger 26, bought on Ebay in July. I love the boat. Does anyone know of a copy of the owner's manual that I might copy? Also, does anyone have any tips or tricks on this boat? So far I have added a Boomkicker (I had one on my previous boat), and Winchers. I'm putting together a whisker pole. I sail on the Hudson river, north of NYC, in a section called the Tappan Zee.

Thanks in advance.

George

I purchased my 1974 Ranger 26 at the end of June 08. How do you like the Boomkicker? I sail on the Pamlico River/sound in North Carolina. The boat I purchased is in need of some cosmetic help, so I would love to see some pics of your boat for inspiration. Thanks

mjhdolfan@hotmail.com

gmbandco 10-29-2008 01:47 PM

Greyhound is about to be hauled, so I will try to get some pictures before I put the tarp on. I built a tarp frame out of PVC tubing, so I will take a picture of that before I cover it up.

I really like the BoomKicker. I put one on my previous (smaller) boat, and it made a big difference to me. The topping lift kept fouling on the mainsail leech, and if I unclipped it I always forgot to reattach it, so the boom fell into the cockpit.

I am moving the main halyard winch from the mast to the starboard doghouse roof and installing a Garhauer rope clutch, so I can properly raise the main from the cockpit. I added a Tiller Tamer, which self-steers the boat while I tend to the rigging. The shift and throttle controls for my Tohatsu 9.9 are mounted on the sides of the tiller. Those improvements mean that I can singlehand in all but the most blustery conditions.

I also got a gas piston to support the hatch (same kind that supports the rear window on my Honda Passport). I'll put that on sometime this winter. :D

Matt Galo 11-12-2008 02:07 PM

1973 R26

Also, bought mine on e-bay. 2005 I've done alot of work to her. She is real sweet to sail. I still have many more things that need done thought. Maybe some day she'll be complete. Maybe..

jbwoodbury 11-16-2008 10:33 PM

Ranger 26

I just bought my first sailboat a 1973 Ranger 26. I am lookking for an instruction manual. Did you ever find one?

john:

jbwoodbury 11-16-2008 10:35 PM

What size boomkicker did you use?

gmbandco 11-17-2008 11:05 AM

I have a copy of the user's manual as a pdf, supplied by a member of the Ranger forum. I'll email it tonight. It's not too complete.

I got the K0400 Boomkicker. The boat is just at the high end of the recommendation, but it works well.

George

gmbandco 11-17-2008 11:07 AM

Sorry, I got the K0750 Boomkicker.

gmbandco 11-17-2008 06:35 PM

Here is the R-26 owner's manual.

jbwoodbury 11-17-2008 07:25 PM

If you had to do it again would you go with the boomkicker750 or one bigger?
I don't see the R-26 owners manual.

Thank you for the info.

john