Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Ranger
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
dw, you still with us?
"I just don't know how strong the stock glass (safety glass with a laminate in it like a car safety glass) really is. Any ideas on this?? Thanks!"
Couple of years ago I was helping to replace a set of portlights with new exact replacements from Mark Plastics. My friend was baffled at how to get the old ones out, because the glazing sits in 1" wide plastic channel that in turn is heavily siliconed into the inch thick cabin side and whatever wasn't leaking didn't want to budge. I said "Let's just knock 'em out and implode the frames" and he said no, that's Lexan, you can't just knock it out.

I took the standard 16" ball peen hammer, ball side out, and went "tink" just from my elbox, backhand. The acrylic, very much not Lexan, portlight blew right out and we proceeded to blow them all out and implode the frames.

How strong are your portlights? Well...If you have a spinnaker or whisker pole "up there" somewhere and it decides to come visit the portlight under storm conditions one day....Doe anything less than 1/4" polycarbonate still seem reasonable to you?

When in doubt, go to a glazier, get a scrap of what you've got, put it in a vice and go "tink" with a ball peen hammer. If it survives, go "WHACK!" with the same hammer. When you get one that survives, that's the minimum glazing to look at.

Unless you're just daysailing with "ceiling and vision unlimited" type days.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2009

dwoodriff is on a distinguished road
Portlights R33

Hi - Actually, the portlights in my R-33 are glass.

Does anyone know where to get replacemanr gaskets for the four FRONT SMALL ports?
Thanks - Dennis
Old 07-08-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Same things apply to glass, dw. Scratches less, smashes more easily, still no way to know the strength unless you know the material exactly. Or test it. Hopefully it has the greenish cast of "safety glass" to it, so it doesn't become daggers when smashed. (Or a logo in the corner?)
Old 07-08-2009

alwheeler98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slagbuster View Post
I recently purchased Fandango, a 1971 Ranger 33.
I think my husband and I eyed her at her at the Mass Maritime auction. I definitely got the impression she was well loved by the PO. I'm glad she found a good home.

If you want to PM me a link to the pics, I'd be interested in taking a look.

If it's the same boat, we had an email exchange with the PO, and my husband (I think) got survey info from him.
Old 05-27-2010

sailordave02702 is on a distinguished road
I have Selah, a 1972 Ranger 33, on Mount Hope Bay, MA
Dave Harrold
Old 07-30-2010

treydix is on a distinguished road
Ranger 33

Hey Guys,

I know this post is old but there is a lot of talk from many Ranger owners so figured I take a shot. I have found a 1976 Ranger 33 and was curious on value? It needs a top coat, bottom job, sails are in decent shape, motor is the original Atomic 4, and the boat is over all in okay condition, fresh water kept. What would a boat in that condition be worth, I know its a vague question but a ball park guess from a few people would help me out. Thanks.
Old 07-30-2010
Plausible Deniability

They're asking 17-29,000 on Yactworld. 17 for an A4, 29 for a new diesel, which means 17 for an A4. Less the (ka-ching) retail price of the top and bottom jobs, give or take what "decent" sails might be, any other differences and the usual asking versus selling difference.

Compare those to the boat you're looking at, then see how motivated your seller is.