SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Ranger (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/ranger/)
-   -   Ranger 33 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/ranger/48490-ranger-33-a.html)

greyrider 10-30-2008 03:36 PM

Ranger 33

I noticed on the website for P. Winklers Vibrant, that the windows had been replaced. They appeared to use the original outside moulding. We recently bought Wind-Borne, a 1975 Ranger 33 that was a one owner and is in great condition. The windows however are really fogged and need replacement. I removed one of them and it appears that the entire unit, including the "glass" is moulded together. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Bill Smith

BAC 11-28-2008 02:44 PM

Window replacement

I pulled out mine as well. Very difficult to separate trim from plastic window.
Mark Plastics was mentioned in earlier threads as a company in
CA that would do replacement windows. I called and the number was discontinued...now what.

Please let me know if you find anything. I planned to replace the port lights with SAR (Super abrasion resistant) plastic. Actually has a coating of glass on the plastic to prevent scratches.

b.courson@comcast.net

BAC 11-28-2008 03:01 PM

r33 windows

mark plastics

greyrider 12-12-2008 05:07 PM

Ranger33 windows

I was able to find Mark Plastics in Corona CA. The number is 951-735-7705. They have the original molds and were able to remanufacture a new set of windows in about 2 days. The cost was 1100.00. They use a polycarbonate acrylic now which is much stronger and scratch resistant than the old plexiglass. The improvement to the appearance of the boat and ability to see out with crystal clarity is amazing. Certainly worth the $$.

PS. Mark works with you in person and is a great help.

Bill Smith

dwoodriff 01-16-2009 02:38 PM

R33 windows

I took out my R33 windows which leaked badly, dismantled them, put some weatherstripping from Lowe's in the grove where the glass (1972 boat) fits into the aluminum channel, then rebeded them back on the boat. The butyl tape (roofing) I put on the outside between the flange and cabin sides when rebeding them is 100%, but the Lowe's weatherstripping in the channel groove lets in just a few drops of water. I will take them all out again this spring and try another material in the channels the glass fits into.

I also am thinking of abandoning the stock windows, glassing over the holes completely and installing ports which open, and are smaller, safer in heavy seas. A lot more work and expense.

The main factor here is strength. I just don't know how strong the stock glass (safety glass with a laminate in it like a car safety glass) really is. Any ideas on this?? Thanks!

greyrider 01-18-2009 04:23 AM

Ranger windows

DWOODRIFF

I didn't have leaking problems with my windows, they were just badly fogged. When I put the new ones in I used a 3M sealant sent along with them. So far, no leaks. Mark of Mark plastics advised me to go with acrylic rather than glass because he felt the slight curvature of the house would put too much stress on the glass and probably crack it in time. Hope this helps.

Bill

dwoodriff 02-03-2009 06:15 PM

sealant

Hi - Thanks for this reply. When you re-bedded them with the 3M sealant, where did you put the sealant? In the grove the window fits into which is an aluminum groove, or between the window frame and the cabin side on the outside of the boat?
Thanks - Dennis

greyrider 02-04-2009 05:56 PM

Dennis,

Mine doesn't have aluminum, it's an all plastic assembly. I put the sealant on the flange that goes against the outside of the cabin.

slagbuster 07-07-2009 09:56 PM

1971 Ranger 33 windows

I recently purchased Fandango, a 1971 Ranger 33. The windows were the orginal safety glass in aluminum frames. 3 had been removed and siliconed. All were fogged, and leaking.

I removed them, seperated glass from frames, not easy, but I took my time and great care not to break the glass. Inspite of my best effort 2 windows cracked, but the glass remained intact.

I visited the local glazier, Glaser Glass in New Bedford, MA. They have a website. If you call, ask for Mike. It was a little bit over $500, for my windows to be replaced with a scratch resistant clear window.

In hindsight, I should have had the frames re-anodized while they were out. I found a great website on home anodizing. Not sure I would try it, but now have a better understanding of the process, and would have had them colored.

I re-installed the windows with butyl rubber tape. This after I had to deal with some delamination around the window cutouts, which the previous owner had also filled with silicone.

We have had one of the rainiest Springs I can recall and they are dry, clear and bright. It was work, and a small cash outlay, but they look great don't leak and are original. I want to tackle the ports next.

I have begun the rewiring process, with a new Blue Seas panel & custom install at the Nav station. I removed the Electra-San unit and installed holding system, new freshwater tank, lines & fixtures, and we are 80% completed with the deck hardware rebedding.

I am looking forward to racing her on Buzzards Bay, once work & shakedowns are completed.

I have pictures of projects if anybody's interested.

As for windows, or hatches, I whole heartedly endorse Glaser Glass in New Bedford, MA....ask for Mike or Iris.

BAC 07-07-2009 10:15 PM

nice to see an R33 in this area

I grew up in Padanaram and used Glaser glass alot...not for a boat but always nice people. I ended up getting all new windows from Mark Plastics for $1,000 since my plastic frames were brittle and the glazing could not be removed without destroying them.

My boat is on nantucket and I head north to Maine for three weeks in August. What is your sailing schedule and where do you sail?

I have had Orion, a 1976 33, for nine years and really enjoy the boat. Not only are the lines classic, as Gary Mull worked for Olin Stevens like German Frers, but it is a fast boat...still.

My email is b.courson at comcast dot net. Give me a shout if you are interested. I have never seen another Ranger 33 and would love to rendevouz sometime.

Cheers,

Bruce Courson