SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Rhodes 22 Ownwers

19K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  chrissailorman 
#1 ·
Are there any other R22 owners using this forum? I am new to sailnet and trying to figure out how to navigate the various fourms, pages etc...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi CP
I used to have one. Sold it about 10 yrs ago. Great boat (but then, aren't they all...well....no, but most are.)
Guy I sold it to changed the name...bad liuck if you don't perfornm "The Ceremony" and he sank it, at least partially.
Only seen a half dozen or so.

#4 ·
I have one that I still sail here on the Maine coast. I have modified it some. I like it very much.

It is fast and capable. Its shallow draft gives it an advantage here in the strong currents some of our "protected" waters enjoy.

I have beefed it up in several ways for safety. i am a former boat builder so the doing of those "upgrades" was not expensive.

I have sailed it through "The Old Sow" off Eastport many times.

Mine is an older one.

How is your experience with yours coming?

It is one of several boats we enjoy here in Maine. Being retired allows me time to play.

George

#6 ·
Wasswagler,

Go to rhodes22.com and rhodes22.org and you'll find hours of entertaining reading and pictures and a listserve forum.

Ranked number one by this website's owners' survey which is impressive, but you'll want to read the entire survey before going out and buying a Rhodes. As a hobby I continually look at new and used boats. I own a Rhodes22 and haven't been able to find a boat that better fits my needs.

Good luck!

Lee

#7 ·
I just bought a Rhodes 22, I am encouraged by all the good things said about it. I have been looking for an owners manual on line and cant seem to find one. Would like to know if anyone knows where I could find one. This is my first big sail boat so I know I have a lot to learn

#10 ·
I've got a question for the Rhodes 22 crew - My garage door opening is about 90" high. Can I back the boat and trailer into my garage? Also, what is the length of the whole works on the trailer? I really liked the thought that went into the Rhodes 22. I first saw it at the Annapolis boat show and it seems like the best match for my wants/needs. If it fits in the garage! In pictures it looks like the mast rides very high on the trailer. I'm hoping it can be sat on the coachroof or off to the side before I back it in?

Anyone go the "recycled rhodes" route? May I ask what you paid and how you liked the experience?

Thanks!

#11 ·
Recycled Rhodes22

Sealover,

I don't keep my boat on a trailer but you can contact the manufacturer to see if one will fit in your garage. The length might be more of an issue than the height. The outboard and trailer tongue will add a few feet to the boat.

You'll pay about $5,000 more for a recycled boat. Sounds like a lot of money but you can work with the manufacturer if you don't want the full recycling. Painting the topsides is about $2,500 of it and although it makes the boat look new you can certainly live without it. On the other hand the cheapest quote I found in the Annapolis area (Kent Island) was $3,300. Based on the number of complaints (none) I'd say that most recycled Rhodes owners are happy with the program.

One of the best parts of the program is that you can add new boat options such as a motor lift, solar panels, instruments, etc. You can even add recycled options but used or new it will cost you.

My boat was recycled in 2004 and you're more than welcome to take a look at her.

Good luck!

Lee

#12 ·
Length isn't an issue -- I designed my garage with automotive and marine hobbies in mind -- it's a full 40 feet deep. If I angle it in there I should have room for the tow vehicle and trailer. I have about 90" of clearance to fit under the opened garage door hanging there from the ceiling.

#13 ·
90" may not be enough

I have a 1993/2008 recycled Rhodes 22, Muireann. With the mast up on the mast support for trailering she's every bit of 12' tall at the back end. You can drop the mast to the cabin roof (or the aft rail) and she'll be much shorter. I haven't measured the high point in that configuration, but would guess that it would be the bow pulpit (plus mast and furled sail thickness). There's a good 18" of snow around my boat right now or I'd go measure it for you.

Mike Cheung
s/v Muireann, 1993/2008 Rhodes 22

#14 ·
Thanks Mike. I suppose I could slide the mast aft enough to have it clear the pulpit then slide it forward through one of the openings in the pulpit? That's how I do it on my current boat. I suppose I could shorten the pulpit by a few inches if it were necessary. I really should just move out into the country where I can have a boat sit outside.

#15 ·
that may work ....

.... I think you might get the bow pulpit in under 90" on the trailer, but it will be close. You won't have any trouble sliding the mast rig fore and aft to do as you suggest. You'll have to pull the rear mast support, but that's easy.

I have about the same opening you have in my "barn", but have been lazy and not put Muireann inside for the two winters we've owned her. I have plenty of space for her outside and, so far at least, she doesn't seem to mind.

HMC

#16 ·
This is good to know. Thank you. Homeowner's association won't let me park a boat outside. The president's kind of a jerk about stuff like that too.

-RS
(President of the Homeowner's Association)

#17 ·
response to sealover PM

Sorry to answer a PM out here in "public", but I haven't posted enough yet to be deemed worthy to post PMs ... lol

Sealover,

I'm located in Ohio just south of Cleveland not near the Chesapeake. We sail Muireann mostly on Lake Erie.

#20 ·
I'm on my second Rhodes 22, Blue Hawaii...it's an 86 I bought used in 2000 for $6000 or $8000, can't remember which. Has many of the hot features they offer, but the main one, no pun intended, is the innermast furling main. This can't be beat...I don't think there's another production 22 out there with this feature. Love the looks I get the first time someone sees it roll out... It's loose footed and no battens but I've never seen it as a handicap...works like a charm.roomy and great for singlehanded sailing...but you all know that.... Rummy, read a lot of your posts on the Rhodes site. Great that you have a good group to sail with. Currently moving to Great South Bay out of Patchogue, off the south of Long Island,from Moriches Bay.. Looking forward to a great sailing season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.