Okay it's a longshot... Anyone want to sell their Rhodes 22? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Rhodes
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2010

sealover is on a distinguished road
Okay it's a longshot... Anyone want to sell their Rhodes 22?

Have been admiring them for a long time. I have bent Stan Spitzer's ear at the Annapolis show for 2 years now. Have read that giant 55 page packet cover to cover multiple times. Have sold myself and the redhead on a Rhodes. Now I just have to find the right one at the right price.

A bit about where I'm coming from: (so this doesn't come across as a want-ad)

Enjoy my Venture 17 but would like a bit more comfort below deck and space in the cockpit, but still be able to rig, launch, sail, and retrieve single-handed. And weekend with the Mrs. Maybe the dogs too. And tow it with a small but capable 6 cylinder pickup. Was looking at MacGregor 22's. Found some nice ones for under $1000. Fit the bill, but if someone listed an underpriced Rhodes in the local newspaper I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat and sell the Macgregor quickly. I've spent the last 2 years putting teak and gear and a GPS in my 17. Did it for myself, but it's not likely I'll get ten cents on the dollar back out of it. I don't want to buy a MacGregor or a Catalina or an O'Day and make it "suit" me only to send it down the line as soon as a Rhodes comes up. So I've resigned myself to enjoying my 17 until a Rhodes appears. But to hurry that along I'm bringing it up here.

I'm an "old Mercedes" guy. I really enjoy the engineering and craftsmanship that went into Mercedes (pre-96, at least) and feel that for someone mechanically inclined, a well-maintained old Mercedes is the best combination of safety, reliability, longevity, and appearance to be had in a $5000 car. I see the Rhodes 22 in the exact same light.

Unfortunately I can't justify the price of a recycled. I think they're a screaming bargain at $20K but at this stage of my life that's a big chunk of money to spend on a recreational object. My spending limit is less than half of that. A quarter of that would be ideal.

Fortunately I'm not real concerned with appearance and more than happy to put elbow grease into it.

Any suggestions or advice for me? Anything to look out for on certain years or certain options?

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2011
Theoretical Sailor

littlejohnw is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to littlejohnw Send a message via Skype™ to littlejohnw
I don't know if you've found your boat yet, but I too was searching for a Rhodes, the Rhodes Meridian and finally found it. I searched every Craigslist along the East coast. Perchance you may have the same luck: especially right now, it seems that every boat in the world is for sale..... good luck!
"I find the great thing in this world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving: ... we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it -- but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor." O.W.H

s/v Estella
1963 Rhode's Meridian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"... you got to tie yourself to the mast my friend and the storm will end..." coldplay
Old 05-02-2011

I found a $2500 one and went to look at it. Sitting there next to my pickup it looked a lot bigger than the ones at the boat show. Definitely not something I could rig and launch single-handed in 10 minutes. If I had a slip or a spot next to the ramp I'd get an R22. But it's too big to fit in my garage.

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
Old 03-08-2014
A perfect day!

chrissailorman is on a distinguished road
Re: Okay it's a longshot... Anyone want to sell their Rhodes 22?

Sealover...did you ever get a Rhodes? I'm on my second. First was an older 22 from '74. My current is an '86... What a great boat..they really designed this boat right. First of all there is the furling main..simple design but works really well. Simple pull on the furling line and into the mast it goes..same with jib...simple design, never jams....one thing...never can be rigged alone. Mast with sail inside is heavy but with a simple "A"-frame on the bow deck and a crutch to hold the mast up a bit to start...it can be raised with only one person's help. flared hull, huge flat cockpit, as big as most 26 footers or more, comfortable seating, solar charger atop the cabin, depth finder, motor hoist...all very good features...keep looking. I found mine for $8000 in very good condition. Keep looking...hope you find one.
Old 03-08-2014
A perfect day!

Ps...I bought that boat back in 2000...still going strong. The previous owner was in his early 80s, and it was time to let it go....never know. And as far as a boat for single handed sailing...this is it. Controls are all in rear of cockpit, winches for jib within easy reach..traveler for main is right overhead, above the transom, the biggest stretch is the jib furling line mounted on the back of the cabin. I often like to sail while standing on top of the transom, leaning against the rails mounted on the back and sides..great view from up there...
Old 03-09-2014

No I never did. A year ago I bought a Venture 21. A 1976 model that appears to have never been used, but sat in the sun ever since. Nobody ever even put a compass on it. New teak, wiring, and a good wax and I have my bigger boat that I can rig, launch, and sail single-hand. Not as beefy as the Rhodes, but it fits in my garage and tows easily. I still like the Rhodes but no way they fit through a standard garage door.

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
Old 03-09-2014
A perfect day!

Heard a lot of good things about Venture...glad you're hooked up. Crazy about the garage thing!
Well it's getting closer..planning my prep work and improvements and looking forward to another good season of sailing!