Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > S2
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2014
I break <-> I fix

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
New S2 7.9 owner, offer accepted.

I have been a Catalina Owner (Capri 14.2, Capri 22, and Capri 25) for now must be 15 years. I've been VERY happy with the quality of those boats, and they've all sailed quite well.

Our little lake sail club races every 2 weeks during the summer, and a couple charity races, and our "A" fleet is referred to as the "One Design" fleet, but is actually a mix of S2 7.9s, J/24s, B25, J/22, my old Capri 25, and a Hunter 25.5 (yeah I know where did that come from).

Anyway, at our peak we had (5) S2 7.9s, we are now down to (3). In an effort to help "build" a true One Design fleet, I decided to sell my Capri 25 which was rated just slightly slower than the 7.9, and to buy a 7.9.

I have looked at several 7.9s.. and honestly they are all getting pretty water-logged. The decks are literally falling apart where owners haven't rebedded hardware over the years. It seems fair to say that one little mistake turns these boats into sponges... and quickly so (shame too). I saw one that wasn't addressed in the last year, and turned it from a potential race crushing machine into a nearly worthless complete redeck project boat.

So I found a later model 7.9, a 1986, with a Yanmar diesel inboard (yeah I know if my intent is to race the inboard isn't the best model as no matter how you slice it, its slower). However I am about done with outboard motors... so far most of the owners of the diesels in our area have had good luck with them, I hope to join them. I've been through 4 outboards in 2 years (all used 2 strokes)... I could have purchased an inboard and installed it for what I wasted on those things.

So this particular S2 is a high 400s hull number, and has only a couple glaring issues... where the spinlocks are on the cabintop (an obvious aftermarket install) the core is delaminated/hollow. The places these boats typically have problems (chainplates, mast step, and stanchion bases) aren't bad (they seem pretty solid actually). I didn't hire a marine surveyor because we are talking about an under $7k boat (actually under $5k). The boat is pretty generic, with the 2 instruments (bulkhead compass and speed/depth) both not working (so they are useless holes in the bulkhead). I did all my "hull testing" with a 3/4 inch box wrench tapping around the hull listening for dead spots.

All the sails are tired... 2 rough practice mains, and 1 crisp 100 jib, and a barely used spinnaker (typical of these older race boats, people race them about 1 season, then not again for years)... but the 155 racing number 1 is practically unusable.

The price I am getting the boat for allows me to build this boat the way I want though, and I can take my time outfitting it from scratch the way I'd like. The bottom is ablative (hard ablative VC Offshore I think).. but there are enough pits, and rough spots that I'll likely have to do another bottom job (ugh). I hated doing that 2 years ago on my Capri 25, but it pays to do it yourself so you can make sure it's perfectly fair.

It has workable standing rigging, but the running rigging is really tired. When all is said and done I'll probably spend as much on this boat as one completely equipped now, however they won't be where I want to be, so I feel this is a better approach for me.

I hope to come back to this forum and ask other S2 owners their experience at large when I come across problems... Of course I'll also join the S2 7.9 association.

I don't have many pictures, as it wasn't a top priority (yet).. but I have a few as proof a 7.9 was involved.

Old 09-07-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: New S2 7.9 owner, offer accepted.

Woohoo! Congrats Schnool!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2014

Summmitfun is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the purchase! I had a 8.0 & sailed on a 7.9 in the next slip. I had to rebed stancions & deal with gel cracks at the bases. Mine had the OMC Saildrive. The 8.0 was a tank; 7.9 much faster. Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to Summmitfun For This Useful Post:
ccriders (10-06-2014)
Old 09-07-2014
I break <-> I fix

We had an 8.0 in our club, and you are correct, those things are beasts compared to the 7.9.
Old 09-07-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Congrats.. good boats with a rep for winning.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-08-2014
I break <-> I fix

Faster/Smack thanks...
I'm going to need lots of luck getting this one back in shape.
First things first.. must find a trailer, gonna borrow one from the club to get it home.
Old 10-06-2014
I break <-> I fix

HAHA.. changed plans...
I purchased hull number 68, that is the outboard model. I officially own and is sitting in my driveway (for now).

Here is a shot of her as I towed her home to PA from MI.

I bailed on the last S2 I put an offer in on... He just had some things he needed to work out before the boat was 100% ready to go, and I was looking for something a bit more turn-key.

Can't wait to get my new ride in the water though. I want to see what all I need to address to make the boat competitive for next season (we have like 3 more weeks of sailing left before the lake starts to turn solid).
Old 10-06-2014

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

ReCongrats! How is the sail inventory on this one?

Old 10-06-2014
I break <-> I fix

I have (2) number 3s... (110 I think) one is pretty decent shape.
I have (1) laminate number 1 (155), that's pretty tired (that'll need replaced)
(2) possibly (3) mainsails, one is a Doyle Boston dacron racing main with less than 1 season on it (looks brand new).
(3) different spinnakers, (2) have about 3 seasons on them, light usage.

I figure my first 2 purchases for sails will be a 155 loadpath, and maybe a main loadpath the following season.

Bottom is quite smooth... noticed about 6 blisters (might be some more) JUST starting to show... so that's on my winter project list to repair (which honestly is no big deal to me). Bottom needs a couple coats of VC17m of course, but that's not honestly a big deal.

Looks like the rudder was just rebuilt/faired. The daggerboard was kept indoors.

I am not real fond of the outboard, but if it runs I'll use it... 7.5 hp yachtwin but has an alternator (which I sorely miss from my Capri 22 with the 6hp johnson)... that also means I'll finally have a reverse again..

I'll know more once I sort through the boat. Honestly I banged on the hull, found no soft spots... looked at a couple of sails, and said, OK we're good boat's sold! I've seen so many of these boats in such terrible shape it was just nice to see one that wasn't falling apart.

I found the port cockpit seat forward of the traveler is wet/waterlogged. I figure that's a pretty minor fix in the grand scheme of things.

Prior owner told me that the boat was dragged across a metal pole at a gas station, and the gelcoat was messed up (since repaired)... so I expected the gelcoat on port side to be non-matching (and it is). There wasn't corresponding fiberglass work there, so it MUST have been surface only.

Boat appears to have had the bow eye section repaired, owner told me they caught a transom in a heated race at the nationals. Damage was localized to the bow eye, and the repair looks professionally done, and stronger than original.

Mast step was already repaired... this is a big deal on these... The mast step gets gelcoat crazing and starts to let water into the substrates, and it waterlogs, and eventually rots the core out... this is a real PITA to fix, and get the mast step level. The job was done quite well, it's all nicely solid, and boat was raced like that in 2005. The color gelcoat around the repair is slightly lighter white, but isn't a glaring difference that one would notice unless looking hard for it.

So this boat has some REAL battle scars, but that's OK with me. It's the right configuration properly smooth and sounds like fast. The rest to me is eye-candy (something I'm pretty good at fixing).
Old 10-06-2014

Gary M is on a distinguished road

Congrats...nice boat. And by the way that Starboard cabin top winch is not nearly big enough.

Have fun.

Tags
electronics , fiberglass core , painting , repairs , s2 7.9

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.