Join Date: Jan 2007
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
S-2 stanchion backing plates
I just replaced all stanchion as well as bow,and stern rail backing plates on my 34 Pearson. The manufacture used fiberglass and other than being nasty from years of water penetration they held up fine. I made new and thicker ones using epoxy resin. I laid up a large sheet of fiberglass aproximently 1/4" thick and cut into appropriate sizes with a box knife and straight edge just before it got too hard, this you'll have to use your judjment on. The balsa core had deteriorated some 1" to 2" around where the stanchion bolts go through the deck and liner. I dug all the rotted balsa out using several sizes of Z-shaped heavy gauge wire and blew out the rest of the junk with compressed air. This took several months of tapeing the holes at night and pealing it off during the day to allow it to dry. Then I filled each hole with VERY SLOW cure epoxy putty using a soft putty knife. It took a long time but the results were better than great.
Last edited by RaggedyMan; 01-04-2007 at 04:51 PM.