Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > S2
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2007

P8dawg is on a distinguished road
New to the game.

Hello, I have recently purchased a 1978 S2 8.0B. I have been sailing a Stiletto 27' for the last 3 seasons and haven't really been sailing on monohulls since I was a kid on Sunfish. The boat hasn't been attended to for at least a decade, but it seems to be all there. It doesn't have the same keel as is shown on all the blueprints I have seen. It is not as deep and goes all the way to the rudder. The boat does not even have bracing for an inboard engine, so I assume it is a racing variation, or a cheap variation. If anyone knows anything about these previosly mentioned features, and how they effect performance, please let me know. I am very excited about "Cruising" this next summer away.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2007

windswimmer is on a distinguished road
You probably have the shoal draft variety there should be a center board within the keel the inboard was an option so the original owner probably opted for the outboard variety. Mine is set up that way.

Greg
Old 01-16-2007

Thanks

I appreciate you telling me this. I was able to do a bit more research and find out about these two details. I have a hundred questions about the boat, and am looking for some guidance, but I certainly wouldn't want to impose on my only contact in the S2 world. Thank you for taking the time to answer.
Old 01-16-2007

No imposition at all if you have any questions and I can help I will be glad to, I have owned the boat since new it is a 77 b model hull with shoal draft and an outboard I have sailed it on the gulf coast and to La. From Fl and back. while I may not have all the answers you seek I will do what I can to help. Be Safe.

Greg.
Old 02-02-2007

Thanks Windswimmer

Greg,
I really appreciate your help. My hull number signifies mine is also a1977 model. I am currently undoing several years (approx. 25) of neglect. The trailer is solid, but needs a great deal of T.L.C. The hull is an unpleasant brown, but seems to be complete, servicable, and without major scratches, chips or cracks. The interior is gone. I have all the wood, and most of the fabric on the interior of the hull is still in place, but all cushions, curtains, tables, and accesories are a distant memory. Currently, I am completing a brakejob on the trailer. The snow and ice have hampered my progress, but I am still hoping to put it in the water in early May.
As I stated earlier, I have very little experience on monohulls, and even less on cruising monohulls. Although I have been racing catamarans since I was a boy, I now find a desire to have a safer, more stable sailing experience for my family. This boat seems to fit this desire like a glass slipper. Almost everything is there. So far, the only major items that I am missing is a tiller and the map table for the cabin. I haven't been able to find a layout for the interior of this boat, so I don't really know the dimensions of said table. I am assuming that it is utilized to make more sleeping berth avaliable. If this is untrue, would you please let me know?
I would also like to ask you about the performance of the boat. I would guess that this boat won't point near as high as a deep keel, but I don't really have any idea of how much difference the centerboard makes. I am also extremely curious of how it stacks up against other boats. My new racing arena is a relatively small Wednesday night yacht club handicapp fleet. This is largely comprised of Catalina 22's and San Juan 23's. There is also a f-27 tri, but I know how I will perform against him.
Once again I would like to say thanks for the information. This is my first attempt at restoring a boat. I have a great deal of hope and faith that it will all work out really well. I am reassured of this hope and faith by how everything has fallen into place up to this point. Hopefully soon I will have some pictures of "Barefoot Contessa" online and you will be able to see your newest cohort.
Have a great day,
Peyton Adair
Ninnescah Yacht Club
Wichita Ks.
Old 03-22-2007

S2

Peyton,
Sorry for taking so long to reply, I can help with the table as I have mine out at the moment, there is a slight problem however that is I leave for Germany for 3 weeks in the morning. If you can wait until I return I will try to get you digital photos and measurements of the interior and the layout as needed.
As far as performance the boat doesn't point upwind as well as the keel boats, but downwind with the board up it will hold it's own, off the wind (broad reach) it is respectable and if raced I believe it would probably win as much as not. The boat realy shines as a boat that is well built, secure and well balanced. I have sailed many hours on lake ponchartrain at night and in the day light with the the boat trimmed and balanced with no autopilot and no hands on the tiller. There are (no doubt) faster boats but for the size very few more comfortable boats. I hope this helps when I return from overseas if you still need those things let me know I will see what I can do. Be Safe

Greg Myers
Old 03-23-2007

Dear Greg,
Thank you for taking the time to help. Another 8.0 sailor I have met at Sailnet(Dorourke) has already sent me some very descriptive pictures and a hand drawn blueprint that should help me to get the table completed. Sometimes it is hard for me to remember how much fun pleasure sailing is. Often in the past, my sailing has been directly correlated to competition. The description of the boat's performance is spot on for what my family needs. I think my racing will be done on another boat, at least for the time being. Well, maybe one late season regatta, if my monohull skills are worthy. But I'm getting ahead of myself. We need a substantial amount of rainfall before my wide boat will even fit in her slip. Thanks again for your help.
Peyton