Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > S2
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007

rperret is on a distinguished road
S2 27 Class Association

Any S2 27 owners out there? That is - owners of the S2 27 "Performance Cruiser" built from '85-'87.

I'm looking to get a small class association started and website.

If interested, PM me offline.

Rick
S2 27
US 40521
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2008

scuppers is on a distinguished road
Rick,

Now that you have had your 27 a while, what is your overall impression of the 27? Any cored hull issues?

Thanks.
Old 03-08-2008

See below - copied from my post on the sailboat owners.com website in November.

BTW- no issues so far with cored hull - was surveyed before purchase. Also, S2 is known for good build quality and layup (certainly their Tiara powerboats are known)

#######

Have had the 27 for one season. Also, have spoken to another S2 27 owner, and have looked at some posts in other sites. Here is more or less my comments in random order...overall i am happy with the boat.

1) is a relatively stiff boat that sails well to windward - can point very well. not too bad in lighter air.

2) not that fast downwind for some reason. need to fly the chute to get speed.

3) thoughtful placement (for the most part) of exterior sail handing gear, halyards, sheets, etc.

4) quality materials and very good build quality thruout - which is typical of S2/Tiara sail and powerboats.

5) the 1987 has a redesigned interior which seems better than the 85-86

6) is a mainsail driven boat - you can sail nicely with main alone - although the stock main has too much roach and gets caught on the backstay easily in light air.

7) the inboard yanmar 9hp is underpowered. in any seaway or chop or wind or tide, you will be lucky to get her over 4-4.5 knots - in low wind with current - and a clean bottom and prop with 6 people, I struggled to get over 5 knots - really needs a 12-13 hp motor.

8) you need to check the keel/blige area - some reports of cracking of inner liner to hull - but only in an area where there was no use of fiberglass cloth - so likely it is cosmetic.

9) the bilge design is not very good - way to shallow and no real way to place a pump effectively.

10) handles on a dime - it has a real tight turn radius and the rudder is well balanced.

11) these boats have a cored hull (and deck)- some people are not bothered by this - so you need to have a GOOD surveyor do a GOOD moisture check.

12) check chainplate areas - are prone to leaking (like most boats....) the spinnaker downhaul block also can leak - need to check that area too

13) generally she likes to sail in 10-15 knots with 3-4 people on board. since she's lighter than most 27 footers (5K lbs vs. 6-7 lbs) she'll start to heel more quickly in heavier air.

14) the life line stanchions are strange - the uprights mount such that you have to remove the base in order to remove the upright - which is not a good design in my mind.

15)i am thinking that the boat would motor better with a fixed 2-blade prop - but would suffer speed under sail

16) if you plan to race her - i think she suffers from a PHRF rating that is too low - the boat has a SA/D of 17 vs. C&C 27 MkV which has a 19-20 SA/D - yet the rating is the same - the boat is more a true "performace cruiser" than racer cruiser.

17) the location of traveller in middle of cockit is not great - you get your shins bruised...

Last edited by rperret; 03-08-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-09-2008

Rick, thanks for your input. It's very helpful!

You have helped me narrow down my choices, as I consider "moving up".
Old 10-24-2008

Coghead is on a distinguished road
Rick,
Since I don't have 10 postings yet, I can't PM you, but I wondered if you were able to get your class association off the ground. Anyone else have information on such an owners group?
Old 10-29-2008

BobS2 is on a distinguished road
also an S2 27 owner

I am also too recent a member to pm Rick. I acquired my S2 27 this summer and have enjoyed her thoroughly. Down to my last two weeks of the season on the Chesapeake... Please post any progress, Thanks.
Old 11-03-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS2 View Post
I am also too recent a member to pm Rick. I acquired my S2 27 this summer and have enjoyed her thoroughly. Down to my last two weeks of the season on the Chesapeake... Please post any progress, Thanks.
Hi BobS2,

What year is your boat? What is the hull number?
Mine is an '87, Hull #80.

One more to add to the roster of happy 27 owners!
Old 11-04-2008

BobS2 is on a distinguished road
Hull number

Hull #50. Officially a 1986 boat, but it must be early '86 as the serial number indicates the hull being laid up in 1985.
I'm a happy owner although I'd agree the <10hp diesel is a bit wimpy for a tough current in some inlet.
The only problem I have is an odor issue. Apparently the P.O. left the holding tank full for several years of yard storage. I was told the hoses can get saturated, and I tried the wipe-with-a-rag-and-smell test, but didn't get an obvious blast of stink. The tank is pretty well obscured behind bulkheads so off season I guess I'll start pulling components til I get there. It's not a fresh sewage odor. It's just a vague acrid rankness that I can't pinpoint.
Old 11-11-2008

Sorry guys - work has left me with not much time to pull together a website. However, I can start a yahoo newsgroup where we can share files, info et al.

I will PM each of you individually with my email address so i can gather your email address and add you to the newsgroup.

sounds good?

Rick

The grocery stores the super mart, uh huh
Little girls still break their hearts, uh huh
And men still keep on marching off to war
Electrically they keep a baseball score

The beat goes on, the beat goes on...
Old 11-11-2008

i would check two things re odour.

1) bilge - are you getting any water in the bilge?
2) water tank - my smells awful - and i need to swap out the water lines - a future project as I don't use the tank...

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS2 View Post
Hull #50. Officially a 1986 boat, but it must be early '86 as the serial number indicates the hull being laid up in 1985.
I'm a happy owner although I'd agree the <10hp diesel is a bit wimpy for a tough current in some inlet.
The only problem I have is an odor issue. Apparently the P.O. left the holding tank full for several years of yard storage. I was told the hoses can get saturated, and I tried the wipe-with-a-rag-and-smell test, but didn't get an obvious blast of stink. The tank is pretty well obscured behind bulkheads so off season I guess I'll start pulling components til I get there. It's not a fresh sewage odor. It's just a vague acrid rankness that I can't pinpoint.

The grocery stores the super mart, uh huh
Little girls still break their hearts, uh huh
And men still keep on marching off to war
Electrically they keep a baseball score

The beat goes on, the beat goes on...