Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > S2
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2007

marcusdesade is on a distinguished road
Engine and prop info needed!

Hi all,

I just bought my S2 9.2C in July and I am very happy with it, generally. I am trying to wring another knot or so of speed out of her when under power, however and I although I got most of the original manuals, there was no manual for the mechanical gear. She's a 1983, and powered by a Yanmar 2GM. I have no idea whether the engine's ever been opened up, its RPM seems governed to run at 2100, max. The engine plate says its rated at 15 HP at 3400 RPM, but there's no way this engine would ever hold together running at that speed, I'm sure. The prop looks like it could be original, and I didn't get any numbers off it.

I have been looking all over the 'Net to engine specs without luck. I would like to source a rebuilt 2GM, preferrably a 2GMF (freshwater cooled) to repower with.

I'd also like to hear from any folk who have upgraded their props and had good experience. I had some pretty pathetic performance on one trip where I averaged 3.5 kts. due to current (no wind, had to motor) and from what I can find out I should be getting about 4.5 at least.

Can anyone throw me some scraps of information?

Regards,
Marcus
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
ummmm...you might want to relax a bit...if you want a speed boat,
then go buy one...sailing is about chillin and relaxin..no speed required..
of course unless you're into racing such as Giuliette...and lets face it, you can"t afford that mess...
Old 10-24-2007

rperret is on a distinguished road
marcus,

try looking at yanmarhelp.com or marinedieseldirect.com.

there is something wrong with that motor if you are not able to get past 2100 rpm. but i assume you have done the usual and customary troubleshooting - compression test, fuel injector, timing, etc, etc.

btw - when you state you have manuals - which manual? owner or SERVICE manual (either yanmar or Clymer) I have a clymer and could look up some specs for you.

Rick
Old 11-02-2007
kansailr

bcates is on a distinguished road
S2 and the 2GM

Marcus

I have an 83 S2 9.2 (since 86) and it is a great boat. The 2GM is a great engine. The "Sweet Spot" on this engine is 2700 prm. It will run there all day long on about 3/4 to 1 gph and push the boat along at 4.5 to 5.5 kts. I would guess I have put a 1000 hours on the engine and it's never hiccuped. THe key is regular oil changes and filter changes and do keep an eye on water in the fuel tank. Make sure you use good fuel and oil additives. I use BG products in both.

I am current looking at a new prop to see if I can get another kt or so - this is the one I am checking out. We'll see how it performs - see this site
sailcdi.com/ppmain.htm

Anything else, drop me a note...

Buck
Old 01-12-2008
Santana 525 PRESTO

ericroline is on a distinguished road
Cal 9.2 with 2GM20, 14Dx12P RH prop. Rpm will go to 3600 while underway , but will not go much over 2400 while at the dock in forward. The engine RPM and hull speed are at about 60% efficient, 40% prop slip, up to 3100 RPM which is max hull speed. More RPM does not equate to more hull speed.
Old 07-16-2009

kiminpr is on a distinguished road
Extendo Prop for S2 9.2C?

Hey bcates! - I just found your older post (below) on the propeller change and I am wondering about the outcome. I have an S2 9.2c 1983 - I've had it about a year and a half. The engine is original - not sure about the prop, but likely original as well. The engine is in great shape - I've only been running at 2000 RPM's but am just reading the forums and realizing maybe I can run it a little harder. The boat has absolutely no steerage going in reverse, and one thing led to another and I found the extendo prop from performace propellers. I am wondering if the 1" larger dimension prop and having it a little more toward the aft might help. Can you let me know what what RPM's you run at, what your speed is, and what propeller information you might have? I am pulling the boat out in a week and a half for bottom paint, so it would be great to change it then if I knew it would have a benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcates View Post
Marcus

I have an 83 S2 9.2 (since 86) and it is a great boat. The 2GM is a great engine. The "Sweet Spot" on this engine is 2700 prm. It will run there all day long on about 3/4 to 1 gph and push the boat along at 4.5 to 5.5 kts. I would guess I have put a 1000 hours on the engine and it's never hiccuped. THe key is regular oil changes and filter changes and do keep an eye on water in the fuel tank. Make sure you use good fuel and oil additives. I use BG products in both.

I am current looking at a new prop to see if I can get another kt or so - this is the one I am checking out. We'll see how it performs - see this site
sailcdi.com/ppmain.htm

Anything else, drop me a note...

Buck

Last edited by kiminpr; 08-06-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-20-2009

jefframage is on a distinguished road
repower - more hp needed

grreat lakes sailing. wind and waves would slow my 9.2c down to nothing when trying to get from point a to point b.

Had Volvo penta 2cylinder - i repowered temp with M5424 3 cylinder diesel. can now achieve nearly 8 knots if I want to push it. 6 knots easy in most all conditions. 25 hp. I won't live with less than that ever again.

repower is advised to get you some speed and torque in current. suggest Beta marine Kubota based.

go to at least 20 hp, closed cooling loop.

jj_ramage@yahoo.com
Old 09-20-2009

jefframage is on a distinguished road
btw, speed wasn't the issue, consistency was

I can handle 5 - 6 knots all day long, no issues. What I couldn't deal with was the slowing down due to small waves / wind on the nose.

I had the volvo rebuilt, I had the prop changed, it was all just irrelevant due to available Horsepower.

If your prop is to aggressive, you can't get the rpms. It's a balance.