Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > S2
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2008

Gary M is on a distinguished road
I have an 1984 S2 9.1 that I had to replace the mast step that is a very commom problem with the 9.1s and I assume it is the same on your boat. Check the 9.1 web site, there is lots of info on various issues with these boats. If you want specifics of how I fixed mine, PM me.

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2008

surehart is on a distinguished road
Last Thurs. I hauled our 9.2c for the first time since we bought her last fall. No blisters and there was still zink left on the shaft. Dropped the mast to install mast steps. Also the KBW10 tranny needs to be rebuilt. Hope to get her back in the water next week.
So the list goes on:
1) Bottom prep and paint
2) Tranny rebuild
3) Mast steps install
4) Dripless shaft seal
5) New zinks (including engine zinks)
6) New mast wiring
Important note: When hauling, make sure the strap is behind the prop and just in front of the skeg or too much pressure may bend the prop shaft. There's not enough room aft of the keel and forward of exposed shaft for a hauling strap.
Old 07-21-2008

lofrpc is on a distinguished road
22 Year owner of S2 9.2C with lots of opinions/maintenance experience

Folks. It took me seven years to do it, but I finally found out where that leak in the v-birth (that kept filling the forward bilge) came from. Turns out the anchor locker is a pre-fab unit glassed into the bow. It had seperated from the hull where the drain holes for the anchor locker are. So, . . . when the anchor locker was wet it ended up funneling the water into the v-birth area. Took out the decorative board at the foot of the v-birth and filled the void between the locker and hull with 5200. Voila! The forward bilge has been dry ever since. Perhaps a better fix would have been to construct a threaded tube fitting to go through each drain hole and then bed that in 5200. That, however, is beyond my mechanical abilities. Any questions about S2 9.2Cs? I will be pleased to share my experiences! Love the boat, although there are tradeoffs, . . as with any vessel.
Old 07-22-2008

SkipperSteve is on a distinguished road
Thanks Guys and Gals,
You all seem to love the S9.2 in your own way and everyone appears happy with the coastal performance and accommodation she offers in both the aft & central cockpit arrangement. I have still not had the opportunity to see one of these little ships first hand as work is always a priority. The only real response to my question came from “Camaraderie” whom, I deduce, is talking from the experience and platform of a bigger vessel.
With further research I have concluded that the S9.2 c is not the boat to cross the pond, because of its high volume and cork like reputation. Though my intent is a onetime one way trip I would hate to struggle on the journey due to bad Ocean going qualities, to find that I wish to go further but the boat doesn’t.
I have yet to overcome the belief that every boat is a compromise so I am now pursuing a cross section of heavy displacement, Long/Full keeled vessels between 30 & 33ft of which there are few examples. As I have never been a lover of the retractable center plate/board, I have narrowed the field to five or six potentials; Cape Dory 30 & 33, Bombay clipper 31, Westsail 32, Downeaster 32, or the Yorktown 33, Has anyone any views on these???
The Hunt goes on. My present boat ‘Rip Tide’ will find her way down the family ladder and the new vessel will be named ‘Ebb Tide’ when I find her
Thank you all
Old 07-23-2008

To those of you suffering compression post problems

I should suspect that there is water in your bilge, which is infiltrating from the anchor locker, to the front bilge, then spilling over into the stoareage areas under the setees in the main cabin, and under the are where the compression post is. For years, I would find water in the shallow area under the compression post during our rainy season here in Florida. I always though that, somehow, it was getting in via the mast fittings. Not so. Since I fixed the anchor locker problem there has been NO water EVER in the area under the compression post (thus, no rot in 22 years). See my posting on page two of this site with regard to how to address the leakage problem from the anchor locker.
Old 07-23-2008

Please see my posts on page two of this web site. Always happy to discuss my experiences with the S2 9.2C (lofrpc@yahoo.com). Please note I will be away from the computer for most of next week, but around after that.