Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > S2
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2007

SkipperSteve is on a distinguished road
Smile S2-9.2 c

Fellow Boaters, I recently chartered a 35 Jarkan in Australia and was very impressed, however they are as rare as hens teath so my interest has moved to the S2 9.2 center cockpit cruiser but have not had first hand experience of this boat. Can anyone tell me the advantages or drawbacks of this apparently small yacht.
My ambition is to buy one and sail it to the UK either East or West as at present I am working in Malaysia
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Steve...I would not suggest this boat for ocean passagemaking as it is of coastal build quality and is quite tender with high windage and an uncomfortable motion in a seaway. It is an excellent live-aboard boat with lots of room and quite adequate for coastal cruising.
Old 11-25-2007

Hi Camaraderie,

Thank you for the positive response, I agree a high windage small cruiser is not best suited to an Atlantic crosing but the reasons I have been reviewing the S2 go beyond the one passage, and as with all matters afloat budget is a major factor. With the strength of the Pound, the American market the obvious choice, added to the fact that my wife tolerates days on the water to placate the salt water in my blood. I need something that she will have room to breath in and stamp her mark. I suppose what I need is more like a floating caravan(trailer). Mooring fee's are very high in the UK so length is also a factor and the sailing I will be doing once I get home will be coastal with the odd hop to Europe. As to the comfort in a seaway, the majority of my sailing has been single handing my small 22ft Pandora around the UK coast which I can assure you is very much seat of the pants stuff as she pitches and rolls to my movement about her alone. I have suplimented this by various charters throughout the world on much bigger craft (big by my standards).
My ideal would be a Westsail 32 for the crossing, but I must consider the practicalities of such a slow heavy boat around the strong tidal waters of the UK. Two have flown the nest once the third has embarked on a carear and retirement looms maybe I could upsize again. as for now the S2 has a lot going for her, hopefully enough comfort and space to encorage my wife on the water more often.
Old 11-26-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I understand your rationales, but it is still a bit unwise to attempt an ocean crossing in an unsuitable vessel. I'd agree with Cam's assessment of this particular boat.

Since you expect to get a "good deal" in the American market, perhaps you'll have enough left over to arrange to ship the boat to the UK as deck cargo. Investigate that angle, and keep in mind that sailing across the Atlantic is not "free" either. There are real costs in gear and provisioning, and hidden costs in your time involved in the crossing. The net difference in real terms may not be so much, especially if you consider what might not go well on a 1st crossing in a boat not meant for such voyaging.

Also a trip like that may well put your "reluctantly sailing" wife off permanently should you convince her to join you on this venture.
Old 12-02-2007

Faster and Camaraderie I thank you both for your candid opinion,
I am starting to agree with you as to the suitability of the S2 for such a perilous journey. If I could guarantee fair winds and sunshine then my opinion may not have been swayed but I know this is less than likely.
It is only since a charter and subsequent tour of Sydney harbour’s sheltered waters in recent weeks that raised the comment from my wife as to the convenience of the center cockpit with walk through arrangement on the Jarkan 35. [a favourable comment is always valued from a woman who doesn’t like the water] A layout she found far superior to that of either the Beneteau Oceanis 373 we chartered in Croatia last year or the Jeaneau Odyssey 40 we chartered in Lankawi. It is for that reason alone that my attention has been attracted to the S2 9.2c, to attract my wife onboard, not for the crossing, a venture she believes is a dream but to get her onboard for a weekend or more at a time.
I mentioned my ideal would be a Westsail or something of that ilk as I am not a lover of overly buoyant craft, unfortunately when they come on the market they are usually beyond my purse. The Ericson 35 has always been a more modern favorite of mine so I think I shall return my attention in that direction. Thank you once again for your valued opinions
Old 01-23-2008

Captsomer is on a distinguished road
I lived on a 9.2c for about 5 years. I found it to be very well built, comfortable, and strong. I don't know about an extended ocean crossing, but it would be great for living aboard, coastal cruising or the Bahamas. I think that with a few reasonable upgrades, they would suit this duty well. I loved mine and I miss it. I know a guy in Cincinnati who has one in great shape (my old one) and he and his wife love it as well.
Old 04-29-2008

surehart is on a distinguished road
S2 9.2c

Hey all,
We just bought a 1977 9.2c. There were no manuals, etc., onboard and the PO was absolutely no help, so it's been an adventure figuring the systems out and bringing everything back to life.
She had been neglected for several years, but after a gentle power wash to remove the Oregon State Flower covering we found her sound and dry. Amazingly, there was no water in the bilge. Good thing, because the bilge pump had been inoperational for years without power.
Following is a list of components we've dealt with and brought back to life:
Engine: 2QM20 rwc. Replaced the tach drive unit after full service
Batteries: New gr27, starting, 2 6v Trojan golf cart, house
LPG: New external hose and 10# alum. horizontal tank
Oven: 4-burner Magic Chef w/oven. Replaced oven pilot
Refrigeration: Addler Barber Danfoss cold plate. Replaced the control module
Hot water: On-demand LPG. Repaired freeze-burst in coil
She sails well and feels solid and responsive. Comfortable for two large adults and the dog.
We'd be interested in communicating with other 9.2c owners.
Old 06-23-2008

kiminpr is on a distinguished road
We too just purchased an S2 9.2C this past April. It's a 1983. Appears to be in terrific condition except that the compression post is sinking into the floor... We noticed that the table did not sit down completely on its little hooks. We have had a techy look at it and it appears to be something that can be fixed without huge cost. Has anyone had experience with this issue? I would love to see some pics of the (re)finished product.
Old 06-23-2008

surehart is on a distinguished road
I've heard of this happening, but not to S2s. Usually due to standing water in the bilge which rots out the base. It is a simple fix. Good luck!
Old 06-26-2008
Old Salt

mikethecapt is on a distinguished road
Hi,
I have a 1978 S2 9.2C that I have lived aboard since 2002. I am at the tail end of over two years of a complete re-fit that included a new engine, rigging, sanitation system, hull and deck paint, a complete bottom gel strip (330 blisters) letting the boat dry out for over 8 months before applying 10 gallons (yes 10) of west systems epoxy, 4 gallons of interlux barrier coat and 3 gallons of trinidad bottom paint, new batteries, new dodger and bimini top, and a bunch of other "stuff". I'm right in the middle of replacing the main floor frame under the compression post and let me tell you it is no small job. (of course, to be fair, it seems that nothing really is.) I have pictures of almost everything and if you email me at *** what a bummer!!! I can't post my email address, lets see... okay so I can cheat... it's "mikethecapt" and it's at hotmail, got it? Great! I will be happy to share all I have and all I have learned about this great little boat. I work as a professional mariner and have spent the last 34 years at sea on ships of all sizes and have lived aboard or at least puttered about various small boats my whole life. although this boat is no where as stout as say a southern cross or a westerly, it is more than robust enough to hop up and down the coast or sail the caribbean. With that being said, pick your weather and don't be a fool and you can sail anywhere provided xxxx dosen't happen, but knowing that it can and sometimes will, well that's why it's called freedom. There's a ton of lesser boats sitting on the hook in paridise because there owners didn't know that they couldn't sail them that far. Good luck and congrats on finding what I think is one great little cruiser.

Mike Ahearn
S/V Plan B