Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > S2
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2008

dneeper is on a distinguished road
8.0b Toerail

This past November I bought an 1981 S2 8.0b and now that the weather has improved here in North-East Ohio I've starting working through my list of problems that need to be addressed. The previous owner left the boat uncovered over the winter, and I had a lot of water come in around the chainplates and I also suspect the through-hull screws on the aft starboard toerail. I plan on removing and re-caulking the chainplates this weekend, and I'd love to re-seal the toerail but I'm a little concerned about removing it. I can feel the bumps under the fabric inside the cabin where the backing nuts are, but I'd hate to have to cut away all that fabric in order to get to them. I was just wondering if anyone has removed their toerails and could relate what kind of pain it will entail?

Thanks,

Don Neeper
Cleveland, OH
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2008

P8dawg is on a distinguished road
I just didn't want you to think noone was listening. I also have a 8.0b but don't have any problems with the toerail. I am experiancing some wobble in the middle posts of the stern lifeline system probably dueto years of messingabout with the outboard. The strip that covers the deck joint is also visually suspect in the stern area but hasn't shown any leakage and looks like it could be quite a job. I am just going to keep sailing
Old 04-10-2008

oops didn't mean to post yet. I'm just going to keep sailing andhope for the best.
Old 04-11-2008

Thanks for the reply, P8dawg - I was beginning to wonder if I was just talking to myself! Last weekend I did remove and re-caulk the starboard chainplate and the nearest stanchion, as well as the stanchion next to the port chainplate. I didn't get to the port chainplate due to lack of time, and the fact that it looks like I'll have to remove some wood trim in the head closet in order to get at one of the nuts.

I'll be doing some more work on the boat tomorrow and we've had some rain this week, so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that I took care of the problem and the toerail isn't really leaking. I couldn't tell for certain and knew that the chainplate and stanchions were definitely leaking, and I also felt some wetness in the fabric over one of the toerail nuts. However, I couldn't tell if the water was just travelling or if the toerail nut was really leaking. I've also got some kind of a leak over the quarter-berth but haven't yet identified what that problem is.

Ah, the joys of owning a nearly thirty year old boat! I have a May 9th launch date so I'm looking forward to getting in the water for the first time.
Old 04-14-2008

I bought mine last year. Even though it had been sitting in the owners backyard for over twelve years, I was very lucky and haven't had to do any real extensive repairs. We sailed her from August to November and were very pleased with the boat. I come from a multihulls background but I really am enjoying my foray into monohulls.
Old 04-15-2008

dorourke is on a distinguished road
Sorry to have been away so long, I haven't been able to reply to anyone's questions.

I have re-sealed many screw holes of my toe rail and I need to let you know that you may need to replace many of the screws. I found that the assemblers of the 8.0 have used longer screws than necissary and cut half way thru the screw then just breaking them off leaving a terrable burr as well as severely deformed threads, be prepared.

I suggest you remove one screw to get a proper measurment on the length, then determine the ammount of fasteners you need and buy a few more. Replacing them with new good ones is worth the dollars as well as your time.

The nuts behind the bulkhead can be removed with a costome made box end wrench, if you know someone with a tourch and a welder you can make one simple enough, I did this by cutting off the open end and welding another useless wrench end to lengthen the handle, I also had to make a bend in the wrench that the tourch made possable.

By the way dneeper, I got my 82 8.0B in Sandusky and brought her home to the Monroe Micigan aria and am very pleased on the handling and speed of it, you'll find your boat a pleasure to sail

Have fun this summer!

Dennis

Last edited by dorourke; 04-15-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-16-2008

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the reply and the heads-up on the toerail screws. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, but it's beginning to look like re-bedding the chainplates and stanchions may have stopped the leaks and I may not need to touch the toerail after all, or at least not this year! :-) Although I am glad to have this information in case I do need to make more repairs in the future. I did also identify the leak in the quarter-berth, and once again it's the aft port stanchion. I'm eventually just going to have to do them all over the course of the next few weeks and months as time permits.

The previous owner had my boat at Edgewater marina in downtown Cleveland, and I'm just going to leave it there for the next few years since I live on the West side and the boat is only fifteen minutes from my house. In fact, I stopped by this morning to hose down and pump out the bilge on my way into work. :-) I may eventually move it out to the Sandusky or Catawba area in the future, but right now it's very nice having it so close and convenient.

Don Neeper
S2 8.0b "Sea Sharp"
Old 04-18-2008

dorourke is on a distinguished road
If you do move to Sandusky, check out Battery Park Marina, It's the best place and the price is below most other marina's. It only took me three hours to sail to Put In Bay and only an hour to Kellys island.