SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   S2 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/s2/)
-   -   S2 27: Mainsheet is lead through Spinlock clutch...Opinions? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/s2/43281-s2-27-mainsheet-lead-through-spinlock-clutch-opinions.html)

scuppers 05-18-2008 11:16 PM

S2 27: Mainsheet is lead through Spinlock clutch...Opinions?

S2 27: Mainsheet is lead through Spinlock clutch...Opinions?

So, on my new (to me) S2 27, the traveller is on the cabin top. The
mainsheet is lead through a turning check block, then through a
Spinlock lever-style rope clutch--a double clutch that also holds the
second reef line. As an old dinghy sailor, I'm not likin' this
arrangement very much, although it appears to be standard OEM on the
cruising version of this model boat. What's the verdict from the brain
trust on this. Good, bad, simply ugly, or a broach waiting to happen?
What's a good alternative, a hexaratchet with a cam cleat mounted on
the traveller? Other?

Thanks.

sailingfool 05-18-2008 11:48 PM

I've never seen a mainsheet go thru a clutch - do the two lines share a singel winch? It would be surprising if this is the OEM setup - I would worry that someone might release the wrong line by mistake.

Unless it isi sharing a winch, I would lead the main sheet to a its own cleat of any type, my preferance would be a jam cleat.

knuterikt 05-19-2008 06:24 AM

Having the mainsheet led through a rope clutch is quite common on (newer) cruising boats, it can be a bit awkward when sailing singlehanded or shorthanded.

The PO of my boat (Benetau First 38) rearranged the mainsheet to what is called a “German sheeting” arrangement, using the spinnaker winches for the mainsheet and using the genoa winches for both genoa and spinnaker.

This spring I did another improvement in the main sheet arrangement:
Originally the control lines for the traveler were cleated at the end of the traveler, a bit unpractical since you would have to go out on the side deck around the dodger to adjust or dump the traveler.

I mounted a sheave in the traveler beam leading the line back to the cockpit using new spinlock PXR cleats to cleat the line. This operate in a neat way you lift the rope to release and you drag downwards to lock the line.
Now am able to control the traveler from the cockpit – I can even do it from the steering wheel.

Knut

sailingfool 05-19-2008 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knuterikt (Post 316416)
Having the mainsheet led through a rope clutch is quite common on (newer) cruising boats, it can be a bit awkward when sailing singlehanded or shorthanded. ..

Knut (from Knute? as in Rockne? WOW)
What I don't get is why anyone would run a mainsheet through a clutch unless the main sheet had to use a shared winch. Otherwise, it would seem a lousy way to ontrol a line that is either played, or set and forgot.

knuterikt 05-20-2008 12:35 PM

Hi
My name is a common name in Norway its derived from the Norwegian word for a knot (knute)

To your question SF;
Here in Europe at least, there is and has been a tough price competition in the lower price segment for cruising boats. The boat builders are saving costs by reducing the number of winches and other equipment. To make this work you need clutches to lock the ropes.

I recently sailed a 47 footer (Hanse 470) equipped with only 4 winches. Two primary winches one on starboard and one on port side of the cockpit used for everything except the spinnaker sheets. This boat has a self tacking foresail so the two sheets are set on each side.

I agree that having the main sheet set on a clutch can be a bad solution, but there is a simple way to overcome this. Only use the clutch on the main sheet when the winch are being used for other purposes (reefing, tensioning Cunningham ++) then put the main sheet back on the winch (given that you have a self tailing winch) and open the clutch.

The reason I mentioned the “German sheet” is that most boats with the setup Scuppers described has the main sheet on the coach roof, giving a long distance between the helmsman and the mainsheet.
I feel this to be a greater problem than sharing winches for multiple purposes, especially when sailing short- or single- handed.

On a regatta boat you would probably not use mid boom sheeting and winch for main sheet at all, but on a cruising boat it can make sense.

Just my thoughts.
Knut