SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   S2 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/s2/)
-   -   Keel bolts & Mild Steel Washers (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/s2/46161-keel-bolts-mild-steel-washers.html)

scuppers 08-17-2008 10:00 PM

Keel bolts & Mild Steel Washers

Since the list has had no activity in quite a while, I thought I'd start a new thread. For those of you S2 owners who have boats with keel bolts, how many of you now have rusty mild steel washers on your keel bolts? Anyone have an inkling why S2 used mild steel washers instead of stainless washers? The gentleman who surveyed my boat indicated that I should swap the mild steel washers for stainless. Wadda y'all think? Good idea, or...?

dorourke 09-04-2008 05:57 PM

Absoutly swap them. When mild steel rusts away there is a good chance of un secured mounting because of the washer litteraly decinagrating possably resulting in a loose keel. You probably would know this already, but you should replace them one at a time. I don't know the torque specs on them, you might want to find out about it.

Dennis

Gary M 09-06-2008 03:11 PM

Definately replace them and then tourque the new ones. I replaced mine on my 9.1. There are stories about why it was done but it was plain dumb. Considering they were a fairly quality consious builder it really makes no sense.

Gary

rperret 09-17-2008 11:34 PM

Yes, good idea to replace with stainless backing plates - note that I say plates and NOT washers since the washers do not distribute the load as much as a large stainless backing plate - just make sure there are no sharp edges or corners on the backing plate.

i have yet to find keel nut torque specs but - i suspet around 100-150 ft lbs would do the trick - also place two stainless nuts on the bold and use loctite.

Rick

Quote:

Originally Posted by scuppers (Post 355330)
Since the list has had no activity in quite a while, I thought I'd start a new thread. For those of you S2 owners who have boats with keel bolts, how many of you now have rusty mild steel washers on your keel bolts? Anyone have an inkling why S2 used mild steel washers instead of stainless washers? The gentleman who surveyed my boat indicated that I should swap the mild steel washers for stainless. Wadda y'all think? Good idea, or...?

scuppers 11-03-2008 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rperret (Post 370454)
Yes, good idea to replace with stainless backing plates - note that I say plates and NOT washers since the washers do not distribute the load as much as a large stainless backing plate - just make sure there are no sharp edges or corners on the backing plate.

i have yet to find keel nut torque specs but - i suspet around 100-150 ft lbs would do the trick - also place two stainless nuts on the bold and use loctite.

Rick

Hi Rick and all,
Just out at the boat on Saturday (she's on the hard, unfortunately, after a GREAT sailing season), and I looked carefully at the keelbolts and the mild steel washers. ACK! The washers appear to be bedded in 3M 5200! Now what????????? How in the heck do I remove them (not the bolts, the washers)??????:confused::confused::confused:

Faster 11-04-2008 02:00 AM

Assuming you have access, try taking a piece of wire (like piano wire or heavy gauge guitar string) and cut through the 5200 under the washers. Use a couple of pieces of dowel as handles. If you can cut through under the face of the washer the edge bond should be breakable.

I think there are 5200 solvents, but you may not want to use them in that area; you really only want to get the washers out, not risk attacking the rest of the seal.