SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Saildrive on an 8.0

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  dorourke 
#1 ·
I have a 77 S2 8.0 with a sail drive.

My saildrive does not run steady. It will speed up then go back to normal. Speed up may not be the best word for it. Could it be fuel. I use a water /filter seperator (looks like an oil filter). Or could it ignition.

Thanks

#3 ·
Try closing your mixture needle valve all the way and then opening it up 1 1/4 turn. that should be the first thing to do. if that is done and still getting the oscillation check the low idle setting on the throttle arm, it might be set too low, if this is the case, what you need to do is to turn in the throttle adjustment screw on the starbord side of the engine and at the bottom of the throttle arm link in a turn or two. And still if you have the problem you should try moving the throtle cable jacket foreward a little by loosening two screws on the throttle housing bracket and sliding the throttle cable foreward a little at a time untill you are getting a steady and a little higher RPM at idle. Make sure you have the engine off when doing any of the adjustments.

Dennis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.