S2 9.2A questions - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 Old 06-04-2013

Re: S2 9.2A questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIvories View Post
SantaSailor or anyone out there with an S2 9.2.

I'm in the process of having vinyl lettering made for my S2 9.2 A. Problem is, the boat is wrapped, and kind of far away until I sail her home.

I'm wondering if name should go to the left of the backstay plate as it is on this boat, or whether it could go below that plate? Just wondering if I need to squeeze it to the left of that plate, and what size to get.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Jonathan
I put mine below the plate.
Plenty of room.

Dennis Miller
S/V Mustang
S2 9.2A
Jacksonville, FL, USA
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 06-04-2013

Yes, big problems getting under the Shands.
I have been under twice at low tide with the fenders indicating 45 ft. I broke off the VHF antenna on top of the mast hitting the bottom of the Shands Bridge....

I have since added a 14 inch tri-color light on top of the mast so will definitely NOT be going under again.

Dennis Miller
S/V Mustang
S2 9.2A
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #13 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago
Fair winds.

I agree with most of the earlier comments. Move the traveler down some when it gets windy. I have roller furling, but had a new 125 made to replace the 150 Genoa on my 9.2. We sailed "flat" much of the time on Raritan Bay with the genny rolled up to about 125 or 135 anyway. As you roll it up, it loses its shape. My thought: A 125 still has pretty good shape rolled to 110. We'll see.
I'd love to have a drifter of some sort for lazy days.

My next project his summer is to replace the first reef lines with dyneema to reduce friction. With one reef in the main, and the genoa furled part way, you can sail comfortably and balanced in a blow. I agree that the S2 is not especially tippy and is always dry.

If anyone is interested in my 150 genny, let me know.

Sailing area: Raritan Bay, NJ
Boat: S2 9.2A
post #14 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Thanks for reviving this thread RaritanSailor. I've spent the last 2 seasons with a 155 furling genoa which came with
the S2 9.2A. But many times I've felt overpowered, and I've had a problem with the big genny backwinding the mainsail, despite trying different block positions for the genny sheets. Now I'm looking at getting a new genoa made, a 135, easier to handle,
can reef down to 110 with a decent shape (esp with foam at the luff). And better for single-handing than a 155--what a workout...

Then my plan for the following year is to get a cruising or asymmetrical spinn. It can really move you in very light wind, and I have a halyard for it. A friend with an S2 36' swears by his asymm in light wind.

One improvement I'm happy with is the whisker pole I rigged. Makes a huge difference downwind.

I'm interested in any ideas for making the S2 a little faster if anyone has any. I like to club race, and would like to keep up with the pack more!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.