Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Sabre
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2013
Stowaway

juliekristine is on a distinguished road
Input Sought on a Sabre 38

My partner and I are in the market for a 37-40', 1980's vintage boat. The MK I is on our radar screen as a solid, fun boat to sail. The MK II may be too pricey for us.

The boat will be used on the Great Lakes, here in the US. They are a large, and unpredictable body of water. Most of our use will be 3-5 hour day sails, but we do plan a couple of 100-200 mile trips per year.

We value solid boats, good craftsmanship and an enjoyable sail. Although I don't have much sailing experience, my partner has logged 8000+ miles.

Does anyone have experience with the MK I or II? Does the boat sail well, and has it held up? Should the balsa cored hall be a concern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2013

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Re: Input Sought on a Sabre 38

I had a 38 for a couple of years, actually wished I had kept it. Great boat, well made and sailed very well. Quality of workmanship still shows through, as well as the quality of design.

I had no issues with the cored hull, and had not heard of any major problems with them overall.

The mast step can have issues, mine had just been repaired when I bought it. Make sure it has been repaired or budget some $$ to do so. Try and find someone familiar with Sabre to make the repair.

My 38 handled like a 32 and was easily sailed by the two of us, even single handed many times. Roomy, but not as wide as the new boats. The vberth is tough for two to get in and out, with out waking the other. We lived aboard for weeks/months at a time.

Great boat, and the factory will still help you all they can, when you have issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.