Might buy a Saber 34' - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-17-2015 Thread Starter

Might buy a Saber 34'

I've just found out that a Saber 34 is available in my area for under 10K. I'll be getting more info tomorrow and possibly looking at it this weekend. If so, is there anything other than the mast step and the head/shower bulkhead that I'll need to pay extra attention to?

Please keep in mind that I've never owned a sailboat so this will be a completely new experience for me. In short, use small words, talk/type slow, pictures help... =)

I'm excited that I may join the sailboat club much sooner than I expected but don't want to miss the obvious problems because I'm a novice.

After I look at it, probably with a friend who has some experience and has owned several boats, I will get the survey if it looks like a good deal. As I understand it, the boat has been out every season, fresh water in the Great Lakes and is on the market because they are getting too old for it. Apparently, it's hard for them to even go below on it anymore.

I have no idea what sails, equipment, extras the boat will come with at this time. I'll post more once I've had a look.

Thank you for all input.

Dos
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-17-2015
Old enough to know better

Re: Might buy a Saber 34'

Any Saber 34 for under 10K will require a lot of work to bring it back to snuff. That said they are beautiful boats, well made and you seem to know the big issue, the bulkhead/mast step. Decks are also an issue if any soft spots. From my experience boats owned by people too old to boat anymore often have a lot of deferred maintenance. Much due to a lack of being able to do what they used to, and some to the fact that they may not be able to see it.

I looked at one boat I liked a lot, but it was pretty rough. the owner was remembering things as he bought the boat 20+ years ago, like the sails that were brand new before he bought it. Well yes they were new then, but not anymore and no those green stains are not going to just wash out and leave a new like sail! But on the plus side he was very pleasant to talk to and if I had made an offer it would have likely included sailing time for him. He really seemed to not want to let it go.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-17-2015
Just another Moderator

Certainly worth a look.. the reason for the low ask may simply be aging owners unaware of the value, or, more likely, it's rooted in good reason - but the only way to know is to check it out.

Best of luck, keep us posted

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

post #4 of 10 Old 02-17-2015
Tartan 27' owner

What year make of Sabre 34' is it?
Is the engine still in good shape? (A new engine will cost more than $10K most likely)
Are the sails old & baggy? (New sails for a 34' boat can run $5K)
Chainplates & rigging in good condition? (New standing rigging can run $2K+)
Old electronics are old electronics that likely don't work. You can add new stuff on at your leisure but still not cheap.
Is the head & holding tank in good order? does it smell bad?
Condition of bottom? decks (not spongy)?

Owning a boat is like having a girlfriend or two with endless "honey-do" lists.
That said, Sabre is a well respected brand and < $10k for a 34' boat is a bargain if there are no big "gotchas".

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-18-2015

Don't get your hopes up too high. A Sabre 34 is a great boat and that is an unusually low price for one, even if it's a project. These days, the well maintained higher priced examples of a design are the greatest values for your dollar.

On the other hand, don't wait too long to go see it, just in case. Great deals do come along but they will not sit long.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-18-2015 Thread Starter

Hopefully, I'll get to look at it this weekend. I don't know the year or anything else about it right now. I'll update as I find more info.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-18-2015
Learning the HARD way...

Six years ago I looked at an '84 Sabre 34 with an asking price ~$30K. The decks were soft, the interior had been flooded, the sails were mildew plantations, and the engine was a collection of parts in a box. The mast step looked OK though...

It has been said elsewhere in SailNet that the difference in price between a well maintained boat, and one requiring some work, is usually (I would say always) not worth the difference. Also, the purchase of a sailboat is not a (sound) financial decision.

That said, let us know what you find!

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #8 of 10 Old 02-18-2015 Thread Starter

I"m sorry to say that the boat was unavailable. I don't know if it was sold or sunk, just that it wont be mine...
post #9 of 10 Old 02-18-2015
░░░░░░░░░░

Too late, Dos. A Sabre34 for 10k? I just bought it.

Kidding. Only because I don't know where it is and can't move fast enough!

One thing to beware of on Sabre's in general, assuming this was the old Sabre company, is that they built "furniture class" interiors. If you need to get behind any of the cabinetry, you may have to literally climb inside and start a complicated disassembly project. And you way want to buy a fire ax for damage control access, in case you need access "now".

But they tend to be very well made, very nicely handling, and at that price GO LOOK before I find out where it is.(G)

As with any old cheap boat, deck, rigging, bulkheads, chainplates, engine, keel or centerboard...there can be many reasons for "cheap", caveat emptor and good hunting.
post #10 of 10 Old 2 Weeks Ago

If the engine runs, and it is floating, a Sabre 34 is probably worth quite a bit more than $10,000.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.