Sabre 28/30 for a newer sailor? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 Old 07-15-2015
gdr

Re: Sabre 28/30 for a newer sailor?

My wife and I purchased a 1986 Sabre 30 III last fall - our first boat, after two years of learning in dinghies of various types. Like you, we were attracted to the overall build quality, and I also like the somewhat better sailing characteristics compared to the admittedly roomier Catalina 30.

If you're looking at the 30s, I think you'll have a tough time finding what you want for $25k, but maybe you'll have better luck than we did. We purchased last October, maybe cheaper this time of year? Our hull, deck, engine and sails were all in great shape (ok, just good for the sails), but we needed to do some rigging work, and a lot of the plumbing had been neglected. We bought the cheapest version we could find that had the big four (hull, deck, engine, sails) well maintained, and we've ended up investing a fair amount more money and time in fixing a lot of the creature comfort bits that had not been properly cared for. At this point, I ask myself whether or not we saved any money going with the low price option. I think the answer is no, but I at least know that everything that I've fixed is in great shape now rather than hoping that we wouldn't discover hidden problems with a boat that appeared to be turn-key. Of course, your mileage may vary...

In any case, I'm happy to share more about our experience. Drop me a PM if you like.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 Old 07-15-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdr View Post
My wife and I purchased a 1986 Sabre 30 III last fall - our first boat, after two years of learning in dinghies of various types. Like you, we were attracted to the overall build quality, and I also like the somewhat better sailing characteristics compared to the admittedly roomier Catalina 30.

If you're looking at the 30s, I think you'll have a tough time finding what you want for $25k, but maybe you'll have better luck than we did. We purchased last October, maybe cheaper this time of year? Our hull, deck, engine and sails were all in great shape (ok, just good for the sails), but we needed to do some rigging work, and a lot of the plumbing had been neglected. We bought the cheapest version we could find that had the big four (hull, deck, engine, sails) well maintained, and we've ended up investing a fair amount more money and time in fixing a lot of the creature comfort bits that had not been properly cared for. At this point, I ask myself whether or not we saved any money going with the low price option. I think the answer is no, but I at least know that everything that I've fixed is in great shape now rather than hoping that we wouldn't discover hidden problems with a boat that appeared to be turn-key. Of course, your mileage may vary...

In any case, I'm happy to share more about our experience. Drop me a PM if you like.
This sums up my entire fear with an older boat...
post #13 of 29 Old 07-15-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdr View Post
I'd love to hear more, btw, but PM requires more posts than I have... and I'd sooner not spam the forum just to get my post count up.

post #14 of 29 Old 07-15-2015

Just be sure whether it's a 28 or a 30 it isn't suffering from Sabre rot.
Chain plate leaks over the years takes it's toll on the salon bulkheads & mast compression post step.
There was a 30 for sale in Salem, MA for 15K, don't know what shape it's in.

I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!
post #15 of 29 Old 07-15-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
Sabre rot
Sounds painful.
post #16 of 29 Old 07-15-2015
gdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtloves View Post
I'd love to hear more, btw, but PM requires more posts than I have... and I'd sooner not spam the forum just to get my post count up.
I just sent you a PM. I wonder if you can reply - even if you can't post?

In any case, I left my cell number. Perhaps we'll chat soon.
post #17 of 29 Old 07-16-2015

We moved up from a 22' sailboat to a 28' sailboat without any issues, and have been a huge fan of the extra room/displacement...however, with a new addition to the family we will be looking to move up in a few years. That said, I don't think 28' would be to much to handle for a couple as their first "real" sailboat. With a budget of $25K, you could likely look at an early 90's Catalina 28...we have a late 90's C-28 and have been very happy with her...don't believe all the naysayers and their anti Hunter/Beneteau/Catalina stance...they are great boats for their purpose...coastal cruising...and since you likely won't be crossing any oceans on a 28' boat...they should suit just fine...they can be lower in cost which generally means you can purchase a newer version...as far as I'm concerned, newer = less headaches. If you have plenty of time and like the DIY aspect, and older boat is great...but for those with less time, it's just not for me...
dirtloves likes this.
post #18 of 29 Old 07-17-2015

From what I see, on the left coast at least, his budget is fine for a 28-30 ft but OP I'd also include a the Catalina 27 in your searches as well...
dirtloves likes this.

1988 C22 Owner
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 29 Old 07-17-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
From what I see, on the left coast at least, his budget is fine for a 28-30 ft but OP I'd also include a the Catalina 27 in your searches as well...
How would I find a C27 or C30 versus a Sabre 28 or 30? Slower, more comfortable, less well built?
post #20 of 29 Old 07-17-2015
gdr

I don't have a lot of experience on the C30, but - from what I've read - I'd add flatter or "less likely to heal" or "more weatherhelm" or however you'd like to describe it to your original list. The C30s are definitely roomier - both inside and in the cockpit, and the newer ones have a nice walk through transom that I think is an attractive feature. I'd also comment that there are a zillion C30s out there, so parts, advice and resale are all reportedly good with these craft.
dirtloves likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.