Sabre 28/30 for a newer sailor? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 Old 07-19-2015

Re: Sabre 28/30 for a newer sailor?

I have owned several Sabres and a couple of Hunters, and a new Beneteau. All that means is I am a glutton for punishment.

Whether a boat, a car or an airplane - you are always better off buying the BEST condition boat, car or airplane you can afford. Some one has put in parts and hours prior to you getting involved, that will save you $$$, if done correctly. Buying a deteriorating asset (all are unless an Oyster, Ferrari, etc) based on cost alone will end up costing you $$, many times more than what you "saved" by buying a lesser priced boat to start.

Don't be afraid to ask for help anywhere along the way, or ask for a list member in your area to meet you at the boat for his help. Surveyor or a current owner of the boat you are looking at. I have often strolled the docks looking for the same boat, and have not hesitated to ask an owner for the ups and downs of his boat. All were more than willing to talk, show and help.

best of luck.
capecodda, TomMaine and gdr like this.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to kd3pc For This Useful Post:
dirtloves (07-19-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 07-19-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
I have owned several Sabres and a couple of Hunters, and a new Beneteau. All that means is I am a glutton for punishment.

Whether a boat, a car or an airplane - you are always better off buying the BEST condition boat, car or airplane you can afford. Some one has put in parts and hours prior to you getting involved, that will save you $$$, if done correctly. Buying a deteriorating asset (all are unless an Oyster, Ferrari, etc) based on cost alone will end up costing you $$, many times more than what you "saved" by buying a lesser priced boat to start.

Don't be afraid to ask for help anywhere along the way, or ask for a list member in your area to meet you at the boat for his help. Surveyor or a current owner of the boat you are looking at. I have often strolled the docks looking for the same boat, and have not hesitated to ask an owner for the ups and downs of his boat. All were more than willing to talk, show and help.

best of luck.
This is great advice. I've had 5 sailboats, 4 used, 1 new, and 2 power boats one new, one used. Yes, a real glutton for punishment and failing intelligence tests.

I recently refit a power boat and spent 2X the purchase price making it the way I wanted it. Having done this before, I knew what I was getting into when I started, was able to verify that it had good bones, and good systems maintenance. Cosmetics are expensive, but if you like Sabres you evidently like to look back towards the mooring and smile when you row ashore.

Being your first bigger boat, I'd recommend the following:

1. Simple systems. The cost of ownership goes up with everything that makes life nicer on board from fridges to fancy main furling. The more you can live without, the cheaper ownership will be.
2. It can be heavily used, that's fine, as long as it has a knowledgeable owner.
3. Don't buy anything that's been on hard for a few years or not used very much. Everything on it is broken, trust me. More use is your friend if the right owner.
4. Try to get to know the owner. If they seem diligent and honest, go forward, if not run away. A really good owner will be proud of their boat, will be renewing systems all the time, it may be old but it will be clean, everything will work, and will answer the phone when you call them after you buy it. Every boat I sold, the buyer became a friend. Brokers may try to prevent this, but in the price range your dealing with it may be direct deal anyway.
5. Trust but verify, get a survey.
6. Remember that buying is the cheap part. The expensive part is operating cost.

Personally I really like Sabre's, so if you can find a good one I'd definitely do it. For me, a quality built and maintained older boat is preferable to most of the new ones. YMMV.
kd3pc, Ziaduck, TomMaine and 1 others like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to capecodda For This Useful Post:
dirtloves (07-19-2015)
post #23 of 29 Old 10-28-2015

Hi Dirtloves,
I not sure if you are aware of this but this subject on a Sabre 28/30 was recently covered by the SabreSailboat Yahoo Group. It might be helpful if you check the archives of this Yahoo Group.
Mike

post #24 of 29 Old 05-26-2016 Thread Starter

Not to reopen an old thread, but hey... I bought a Sabre 30. She's a beauty.
Hudsonian likes this.
post #25 of 29 Old 05-26-2016
Just another Moderator

Updates and followups are always good... and congrats.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #26 of 29 Old 05-26-2016

I'm happy for you. All best.
post #27 of 29 Old 05-26-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtloves View Post
My wife and I are thinking of getting our first real boat for next season, after a lot of looking we both keyed in on the Sabre 28 or 30 as potentials over competing models (Catalina, Pearson, et al.)

Are these reasonable boats for a first time owner? I've done dinghy sailing and am doing my ASA101 this summer.

I'm drawn to the (seemingly) higher build quality of these boats, does that seem to result in fewer issues overall?
This is rare wisdom for a first time boat buyer. The 28 or 30 Sabre's are very reasonable boats to start with - for a reasonably cautious new sailor.

Good all around sailers(excellent choice for your beautiful sailing grounds), a traditional boat layout - that is time proven, and a well known New England boat to re-sell.

I think you'll find that sailboats are a mass of parts. If those parts are higher quality to begin with, they tend to far outlast lower quality parts.

As a few have said, I think the real value in used boats today are the ones that are priced the highest. That extra up front cost usually represents huge investments the seller has made in upgrades. You'll buy those expensive upgrades for pennies on the dollar.

On the other hand, if a boat in good condition comes along that you like, and at a very reasonable price - be ready to buy it.

Good luck.
capecodda likes this.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #28 of 29 Old 05-26-2016

During my pre-purchase research on boats, I have come to appreciate the very detailed, impartial, and excellent sailboat reviews of Marine Engineer and certified boat surveyor, Jack Hornor (Now deceased, unfortunately). It is his reviews of Sabre boats that has caused me to place the Sabre 28 and 30 in my top 8 list of boats to look for.

Here is his review of the Sabre 28:

Used Boat Reviews - SpinSheet

Of the Sabre 28 he said:
"You will find the construction details of the Sabre 28’ among the best of any 28-foot production boat on the market. Secondary bonding and attachment of bulkheads and structural members is almost always flawless."

His review of the Sabre 30 is at:

Used Boat Reviews - SpinSheet

Of the Sabre 30, Mr. Hornor said:

"Sad to say, but they just don’t build them like this anymore. At least, production sailboat builders don’t build 30-footers like this anymore."
and

"The quality of construction and attention to finish detail are well above those of typical production boats aimed at first-time boat buyers,... "
and

"For many used boat shoppers, there comes a time when, for about the same amount of money, they must decide between an older boat with some pedigree and prestige and a newer model of less noble heritage. I can make strong arguments either way, but for those who opt for pedigree, the Sabre 30 offers good value, style, and longevity."

and

"The Sabre 30 makes no pretense of being a race boat or even a racer/cruiser, yet I suspect most would find her performance quite acceptable as a cruiser and even club racer under the PHRF handicap system. The five-foot, two-inch draft version offers sufficiently improved windward performance over her shoal draft counterpart to justify the extra foot, and I would opt for it unless draft is critical for your area of use."

Last edited by midwesterner; 05-26-2016 at 04:45 PM.
post #29 of 29 Old 05-26-2016 Thread Starter

The Jack Hornor reviews were a big resource while i was choosing which boats I would consider... we're still in the process of purchasing, survey next weekend with a notoriously tough surveyor. That being said, she's been well cared for and that's obvious all over the place. Can't wait to get her out under sail.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.