Sabre 30 "smile"? - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-26-2016 Thread Starter

Sabre 30 "smile"?

Hi,

My wife and I are looking to purchase our first boat. Today we looked at a Sabre 30 and noticed something slightly alarming; a large crack near were the keel meets the hull. He assured us this was just cosmetic, and nothing to be concerned about. Does anyone else seen this on a Sabre 30? Photo attached.

Thanks all,
Sam
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160326_080858_1459045342574.jpg  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-27-2016

Re: Sabre 30 "smile"?

Last year as I was looking for a boat, I saw something similar on a Sabre. They also have what my surveyor referred to as Sabre rot (leakage around the mast that rots out the bulkhead between the head and the settee). When I saw something like that I ran away.

There's enough money to be spent on catching up on deferred maintenance on an otherwise sound boat. You don't need someone else's headache. Might not be a big deal, but then again it might be. For me, I wasn't willing to take the chance. Granted, I eventually doubled my budget to get the boat I wanted, but definitely no regrets.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-27-2016

These cracks are real common on external ballasted boats. This one looks to be really minor compared to a few I've seen. Lead or iron does not have the same flexibility as the hull whether it be wood, or glass. Open it up with a church key and fill with LifeCaulk, 4200/ 5200 or any suitable caulk, sand smooth and paint. This is assuming there are no keel bolt issues which judging from the minor and limited crack would doubt.

post #4 of 12 Old 03-27-2016

Looks like the fairing is falling off the keel from the picture, typical stuff.
Making sure the boat isn't suffering from Sabre rot is important.
I've replaced the bulkheads, compression step, cabin sole on my 28. Lotta work but the hull & deck were sound & I picked her up for very short money. Would I buy a project boat again, no way. They are great boats so if the 30 you're looking at is sound, don't hesitate because of the keel faring.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-27-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses,

The 30 that we were looking at has a deck stepped mast; is that still susceptible to Sabre rot? I knocked all the cabin top with my knuckles and didn't hear anything that sounded off.

I did notice a small amount of punky, water damaged wood where the starboard aft lower chain plate is bolted on. All the deck hardware has been re-bedded so I think the leak has been stopped and based on what my sailing instructor said the damage doesn't seem to extensive. The main bulkhead, where the shroud chain plates are mounted, looked great.

The owner is asking $12K (USD) and I am trying to figure out if that is reasonable. He has owned the boat for the last 8 years and does not know when the standing rigging was replaced, so that probably needs to be done soon. The bottom should be stripped, and faired. This would be a good time to wipe the smile of it's face. Also the sails are in what I would call "fair" condition. Then there is that MD7a.... :/

Thanks all!
post #6 of 12 Old 03-27-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinchen View Post
Thanks for the responses,

The 30 that we were looking at has a deck stepped mast; is that still susceptible to Sabre rot? I knocked all the cabin top with my knuckles and didn't hear anything that sounded off.

I did notice a small amount of punky, water damaged wood where the starboard aft lower chain plate is bolted on. All the deck hardware has been re-bedded so I think the leak has been stopped and based on what my sailing instructor said the damage doesn't seem to extensive. The main bulkhead, where the shroud chain plates are mounted, looked great.

The owner is asking $12K (USD) and I am trying to figure out if that is reasonable. He has owned the boat for the last 8 years and does not know when the standing rigging was replaced, so that probably needs to be done soon. The bottom should be stripped, and faired. This would be a good time to wipe the smile of it's face. Also the sails are in what I would call "fair" condition. Then there is that MD7a.... :/

Thanks all!
Your surveyor or broker should be able to give you 'recent sales' figures for the Sabre. I would ask for that before I made an offer on any boat you choose. It's an invaluable source to help you from overpaying. Just as with real estate comparables, you don't really get a sense of the true condition, relative to the subject boat, but at least it may give you an upper bound for price. I made the mistake of not knowing about that information when I made a bid on the first boat I was interested in. Big mistake, the sellers had severely overpriced the boat, and I had no clue.

A new rig, new sails and a new bottom sound like you might be putting another 10-15K into the boat. The first question I would want to know the answer to is, is there another 30 footer out there that doesn't need all that extra work and what is the price of that boat?
post #7 of 12 Old 03-27-2016
Learning the HARD way...

If you get to the point of having it surveyed, have the surveyor remove and retorque the nuts on the keel bolts (or 4).
Before I bought my boat, the hull/keel joint looked like this;

The nuts in the bilge looked like this;

After removing the nuts, the bolts looked like this;

Better to have the current owner fix it on his dime, than you fixing it on yours.
elliowb likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-27-2016

If you think there is any punky wood you need to tap on the bulkhead with a hammer, especially where the chainplates bolt through. Also be sure to check the bottom of the bulkhead where it is glassed to the hull under the seats. If the get a thud sound, they're toast. It wouldn't hurt to bring a long screwdriver with you & see if it is easly driven into the compression step under the mast. You can access this from the forward bilge access cover. MD7A, unless this is a fresh water boat, it's at the end of it's usefull life. If the bulkheads & mast compression step pass the muster, negotiate a deal knowing you'll need to replace the engine along with the water lift muffler & probably the fuel tank in the near future. They don't call them Good Old Boats for nothing.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-27-2016
al brazzi

In todays information world finding the worth of any Boat relative to model anyway, is too easy. Just put "Sabre 30 for sale in GOOGLE and shop. Look at gear and condition the best you can from pictures, I saw one I think a 32 that had a dark waterline inside the Boat 12" above the floor. On a 12K Boat you can easily spend that much on sails if you want, in that price range you will spend that much in 5 years for dockage and at least that much in maintenance especially with a sail or two. Easily that much for a motor.
You better be handy, believe me yard bills will kill you so better be able to do a wide range of work yourself. That keel crack might not be too bad by itself, valid comments on the keel bolts but it will be tough to get a surveyor to take things apart or an owner to let them.
These Boats are getting older every year be prepared for the unexpected.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-27-2016
Wes

Hey,
What year is this boat? How many hours are on the motor? Fresh water cooled?

Just broad reachin' through life...
Alberg 30/ #196 Griffin's Faith

Last edited by Wes; 03-27-2016 at 07:43 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.