Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Sabre
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2007

tomgee is on a distinguished road
Sabre 28 main sheet rigging

I'm a new owner of a 1980 Sabre 28. As it's currently rigged, the main sheet is cleated on the cabin top with no easy way to run the sheet to the winch which is on the cockpit coaming. It also makes single handed sailing impossible.

Does anyone have a better solution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
More info would help.

Is it a cabin-top traveller? if so and you need a winch, it may be better to add parts to the mainsheet to make it easier to use. This will require some blocks and a longer mainsheet.

It it's feasible to move the traveller/mainsheet into the cockpit area, then it would be more at hand while sailing. Again, it sounds like you need to increase the purchase to make it manageable though moving the mainsheet attachment aft on the boom immediately gives you better mechanical advantage and you may not need the extra tackle.

If it's already in the cockpit area, then you might consider changing to a bottom block with cleating after you increase the power of the system. Also a ratchet feature on the bottom block will help manageability when the wind is up and when you are gybing in a breeze.

it may also be possible to add a "fine tune" section, that pulls on the "fixed" end of the sheet with another multipart tackle. This multiplies the power greatly, but doesn't give you a lot of adjustment/foot of takeup. However it allows further sheeting at heavier loads without a winch.

Good luck - try to set it up so that a winch is not required - much faster and more effective to use that way.

Last edited by Faster; 02-17-2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-17-2007

Yes, it is a cabin top traveller. Unfortunately, the boom doesn't go that far over the cockpit. (you can see it in the picture on my profile page.) And there's a dodger that's covering the front of the cockpit, so I don't think that would be feasible, although I like the recommendation of not having to rely on a winch.

I wonder if anyone's put blocks at the mast foot and tried to route the sheet forward, then to the side and back towards the cockpit?
Old 02-20-2007

cercole is on a distinguished road
mainsheet winch

I don't think you would need a winch for the mainsheet on a 28 foot boat. But don't listen to me check with the Sabre Yahoo group.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sabresailboat/

Good luck
Old 05-22-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgee View Post
I'm a new owner of a 1980 Sabre 28. As it's currently rigged, the main sheet is cleated on the cabin top with no easy way to run the sheet to the winch which is on the cockpit coaming. It also makes single handed sailing impossible.

Does anyone have a better solution?
I wouldn't go overboard on the effect of a cabin top mainsheet on singlerhanding. My CS has the same setup and I find it only a little inconvenient relative to singlehanding. The mainsheet is largely set-and-forget untill you change course, its the traveler you need to change on each tack, once again inconvenient if not lead to the helm but not a barrier to singlehanding. My advie is don't worry about it and enjoy your boat.

If you really want to change it, I'd start with the traveler controls first, you might look up pictures of Giuletta's control lines, he has the only good setup of control lines lead to the helm that I have ever seen. The sheet leads forward to the gooseneck down and out to a turning block on the deck, back to the secondary winches, and is double-ended.
Old 06-04-2008

photos of cabin top main sheet rigging

Hi,

I looked at pictures of Giuletta, but I didn't see the analogy since that one has the traveler at the end of the boom. Pictures are a good idea though.

Any Sabre 28 owners care to post pictures of their cabin top main sheet rigging? It'd be great to see some comparisons.

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2008
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
Tom, where are you in RI? I am at Brewers Cowesett now, and will be in Wickford and Jamestown for the summer.

If you wanted to get fancy, you can add a 4:1 setup for the mainsheet at the traveller and run it back to a cam cleat in the cockpit.
Old 07-06-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
In case you're still following this thread... here's a link to a running rigging rebuild on my Sabre

Running Rigging Plan - Page 6 - SailNet Community

It's a 34 but maybe you can get some ideas...

craig
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.