Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Sabre
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2008
supernoob

82sabre is on a distinguished road
Getting a Free Sabre 28

Well this boat pretty much fell into my buddy and mines lap. I know she's nothing special now but eventually she will be. Either way it can't be much better than this for free, she's been through both Wilma and Katrina. We already know that we need to to replace the bulkheads, we are scared/excited to see what we are getting into and I will most likely be posting questions on here as we go along for any help or advice. BTW it's a ketch rigged 1982 28 foot sabre. I can't post any pics yet because my post count is below ten, that's pretty lame.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2008

TomandKarens34 is on a distinguished road
WARNING - SHARP LEARNING CURVE AHEAD ! Please be prepared to reduce expectations.
Old 06-03-2008
supernoob

haha yeah we are well aware, but it's going to be a bunch of us working on it, a couple of us have worked refurbishing yacht interiors and doing basic work on boats. Our buddies dad is also there to help who is a very experienced sailor. SO it is definitely going to be a group effort. We aren't in any particular rush either.
Old 06-03-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
welcome aboard! You can use the "song thread" to get your post count up to 10 where you can post pictures.
Off course you know that free boats only cost slighty more to fix up than a pristine boat at the market price. But then you'd miss all the fun!
Old 06-03-2008
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
It only took me 3 years of working EVERY weekend to get mine fixed, and mine wasn't even free. Having a crew to help will speed things up, but friends will become scarce as the project drags on. Buckle down for the long haul.

Worth it? yes Do it again? not if my wife has anything to say about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 06-03-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
you thinks its free

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
welcome aboard! You can use the "song thread" to get your post count up to 10 where you can post pictures.
Off course you know that free boats only cost slighty more to fix up than a pristine boat at the market price. But then you'd miss all the fun!
yea sure...next thing you know theres slip fees, ohh new sails, oh new hoses, and on and on and on...oh wait till you paint the bottom LOL

Congrats BTW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 06-03-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Sure seems like a great deal to get a free boat - but sounds to me like the PO may have had trouble giving her away. A 28 ft ketch is very rare, but being wrecked by 2 hurricanes may have made this boat even more difficult to sell.

Seriously, congrats on the boat - and best of luck with refurbishing the little lady.
Old 06-03-2008
supernoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
yea sure...next thing you know theres slip fees, ohh new sails, oh new hoses, and on and on and on...oh wait till you paint the bottom LOL

Congrats BTW
Yeah luckily right now we have a spot for the next month behind my friends house until his dads trawler comes home. Then we're moving it to another house on the ICW. It also came with two sets of sails, thank God. The boat was redone by its previous owner and taken on one cruise, then the man fell ill from a heart condition and hadn't been able to really use it for about 6 years. It's stayed afloat through Wilma and Katrina without a working bilge, so she's a lucky one I guess. I know this is going to be a huge project, but I am very excited because I know that I am going to be learning a whole lot, I'm only 22 so I feel like this will be good knowledge to carry with me. I feel that not having the initial cost of buying the boat helps a lot, there will most likely be three main people seeing this project all the way through, and occasionally helping hands lent from bored friends.
Old 06-03-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
You will learn a lot fixing up the boat...no doubt, just know when to stop spending $$ on it I don't seem to know how to do that

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 06-03-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Welcome to Sailnet and enjoy the project. I think it's a tremendous opportunity to learn that boat inside and out. T37Chef's advice is right on the mark, know when it's time to stop sinking money into it. In the meantime have a ball and keep us posted of your progress!