Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Sabre
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2009

diegokid is on a distinguished road
First Boat

The wife and I are looking for our first boat. We found a Sabre 34 MKII that the wife loves. I haven't really found anything negative on these boats to speak of so is there anything I need to look for such as any known problem areas. Boat was made in 1990.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2009

nuffoftexas is on a distinguished road
I guess no answers is your answer. Most all issues, and only "minor" ones at that, were worked out prior to 1990. I won't say "you can't go wrong" with a Sabre, however they are fine boats. Can't wait to get mine. Good luck.
Old 09-11-2009

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
check the mast step for water intrusion...other than thiscan't think of much. Our 38 was one of the best boats we have ever owned. only negative was getting in and out of the vberth at night...

dave
Old 09-17-2009

Sabre

We just got home from our trip to the Smokies. Wife had a blast climbing Chimney top. We are set to take the Sabre for a full day sail on the 10th of Oct. She is looking foward to seeing how it does.
Old 11-15-2009
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
So diedgokid, how did the Oct. 10 sail go? Did you buy the Sabre? It's been more than a month man, fill us in.

MGM
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Old 11-15-2009

Sail

The sail on the 10th was a bust. We went out and about 30 minutes into it the wind just died. We waited for awhile but in the end we ran the engine around for about 45 minutes and checked all the systems, they were all fine as I knew they would be. The owner will be out of town for a few more weeks.

The other boat we liked is a precision 27. We are taking it out this coming weekend. It has enclosed head for the wife and everything else we need and is trailerable to bring home for storms and maintenence. I can't seem to find any reviews on this boat though and there isn't much info out there. Funny thing is that both of these boats, P-27 and Sabre 34 MKII are a Jim Taylor designs.

Eltronics package on the P27 won't come close to the Sabre though. The wife is leaning towards the Sabre as am I unless the P-27 is outstanding.
Old 11-29-2009

P-27

I thought the P-27 was starting to do well when the wind picked up rather briskly it being half the weight of the Sabre it took off. The wife on the other hand freaked out when it heeled over considerably more than any other boat we've ever been on. She made the comment that if we get a boat she wants a bigger one, (the 34), yep I even caught the if part.

I'm giving her some time to cool so she can figure this out, don't care to sail by myself.
Old 11-29-2009
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
Friend, it sounds like you're buying the Sabre 34, a fine boat that will provide your wife with a stable ride, until the winds blow 20+. Suggest you don't take her out in that weather right away. Or if you do, reef well and maybe fly just one sail. I find my boat does quite well with just the head sail deployed in a strong wind. Fastest I've ever had her was on a trip from Baltimore to Rock Hall, wind a whipping 20-30 and just the Genoa set... made it back in record time and hit 9.5 SOG as displayed on the GPS.

Keep us apprised, and good luck...MGM
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD

Last edited by mgmhead; 11-29-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-29-2009

Wifes

I just hope she doesn't let it detract her from sailing at all. I'll give her a week or two and see what she says. She does like the 34 but I liked the 27 too for being trailerable and costing a little less than half the 34.
Old 12-01-2009

dvzee1 is on a distinguished road
Sabre 34

I just purchased a 1984 Sabre 34MKI after researching and looking for over a year. The Sabre is well built and seems to have a proven design. I am looking forward to many hours of enjoyment from her.