SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

MD7a engine alignment

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  pacpcc 
#1 ·
The engine sits on 4 engine mounts that provide up or down adjustment, and the facility to slide the engine from left to right.

Measuring the gap between the couplings, I can get it to about 15 thousands at 9 o'clock. It looks like I have the up and down adjusted ok, but it seems I need to twist the engine to correct the side-to-side clearance, and i can't see how to do that.

I can slide the engine left and right, but that doesn't seem to be the answer. I need to twist it, ie, left side forward, and/or right side back, and the mounts don't seem to allow this.

Am i missing something (hopefully) easy?

#2 ·
you're right about needing to twist the motor, but instead of left side forward, right side back, try front side left and backside right. The holes where the motor mounts bolt into the stringers are oblong. Try loosing those bolts to slide the bottom of the motor mount pad a little bit. Some of the fancier motor mounts have threaded adjustments between the pad and the engine that allow you to make this adjustment but I doubt your Volvo does.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.