Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Replacing Chainplates on a Sabre 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Julie.. in this listing you can see the port aft chainplate bolts and backing washers in the cubby.. I imagine they are all installed this way as MS describes.. This is a pretty basic DIY once you've got the new plates made up.

Pic # 4 shows the three chainplate locations on deck... pic #12 shows what I'm describing above.
Thanks! I see where they are bolted in and they are accessible. That shows in #13, 14 & 16 too. Looks pretty simple. I'm a little confused about the $13K reduction in the one we looked at.

I'll need to do a little more research.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Julie,

If the construction is similar to my 1985 Sabre 34; As Maine Sail says the chainplate replacement is pretty simple. However, if the chainplates are corroded and need replacing it you might have the additional problem of having to replace the bulkheads that they are attached to? ( to be determined) In which case, you would need to step the mast, remove all the wood trim and cabinetry to access the bulkheads. A proper inspection would determine if the bulkheads needed replacement. On my vessel, Sabre covered them with vinyl, so you might have to peel some of that back to expose the wood and sound it out, or use an awl or something to determine if the water intrusion caused any rot. Also these bulkheads are tabbed in to the hull. They would need to be removed and the old tabbing would need to be ground out before the new bulkheads could be made up and tabbed in. ( if you can get the old bulkheads out in one piece you can use them as templates, otherwise you could try to template them in place, before removal. If the above is the case, this may not be as simple as just replacing the chainplates, which is pretty straightforward.

I'm going to try to attach a photo of an example.

If the bulkheads have any rot, this is a much larger project than simply replacing the chainplates. Most of the bulkheads are pretty accessible. The forward shroud in the Head is the most buried. If you have any dimpling of the hull around the chainplates, it would be one indication that the bulkheads have been weakened. I don't want to scare you, but be careful and inspect everything.
Old 11-17-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Wow, nice, I was surprised by the low $39K list price for a Sabre...
Old 11-17-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

I know of a couple really nice S-34 MKI's for sale...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 11-17-2012

I just re-read the disclaimer: price was just reduced $13,000 to allow for repairs where the shroud's chainplate attaches to the inside of the hull

This sounds like structural repairs to the hull are needed. Scaring me off isn't what concerns me. Buying a huge problem does.
Old 11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I know of a couple really nice S-34 MKI's for sale...
Ah, but at what price?
Old 11-17-2012
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road

JulieMor,
We own a 1984 Sabre 34, a Mk I just like the 1978. As Maine Sail mentioned, it's very easy to replace the chainplates on the S34-I. We simply unbolted all of them, inspected, and ultimately replaced them. We had Garhauer Marine make us new chainplates, since the price they offered was excellent as was the workmanship.

As others have also mentioned, I would question whether the reduction in price is because there is rot in one or more of the bulkheads to which the chainplates attach. This would cause the repair costs to sky rocket, unless of course you're capable of doing the repair yourself and have the desire to do so.

Hope that helps!
-J
JulieMor likes this.
Old 11-17-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
Ah, but at what price?
Julie with boats it is pay now or pay later. The cheap fixer upper will ALWAYS cost more in the long run than buying the cleanest, best maintained boat you can find.. Don't be fooled by low prices thinking you are getting a deal.

I have watched far too many people pour gobs of money into a "fixer upper" and still not be "done" or have finished boat yet are sooo upside down in the boat, from a fair market value proposition, that it makes it a very poor investment, not that any boat isn't.

The idea some have that it costs less when fixing it up "pay check to pay check" is also not very sound. You still spend more over time that you would having paid a lump sum for a clean and ready to go boat. It may feel like you paid less, but only in rare occasions would you.

If a boat is rare a "fixer upper" can be a great option but to bring a generic old fiberglass boat from the 70s or 80s back to life when you can buy one already brought back to life for a fraction more than what you'd need to spend is not the best choice. All boats need work even boats in the top 2% so you will ALWAYS have time to putter and work on a boat if that is what you enjoy.

Here's a prime example. A neighbor enlisted my advice when looking at two Catalina 30's. One was in top notch condition, a genuine pristine boat needing nothing but your own fresh linens. The other boat needed nearly everything and was very poorly maintained and cared for but less $$$$$. My neighbor got hung up on the $$$$ aspect and not in the REALITY aspect despite hours of discussions. He fit the true definition of a naive or inexperienced buyer, he knows that now..... .Some things you simply can not teach.

Both boats were the same year, same model and only 8k apart in asking price with the most expensive, at that time, being about 32k asking (not selling). Fast forward three years....

A gear box
A re-power
New standing riging
New Furler
New running rigging
New canvas
New sails
Numerous deck core repairs
Wiring upgrades
Batteries
Interior cushions
Wet bulkhead repair
Mast Step
Keel repair
Bottom job
etc. etc. etc.

By the time the boat was "close to" as good as the one for 32k, which he likely could have purchased for 29k, he was sooo upside down it was not even laughable.. For the "junker" he paid 24k which was only approx a 5k up front difference. Three years later he had over 60k, 35k in "fixing" into a 24k purchase price Catalina 30.

Sadly the boat was still worth 28-29k just what the one he didn't buy could have been purchased for.... For 5k more the other boat was already there. This little escapade in penny pinching the initial purchase price cost him $25,000.00 more........ Moral of the story, don't be penny wise pound foolish.... A little more up front, on a pristine example of the boat you want, often goes a LOOOOOOONG way....

Any Sabre 34 that needs that type of repair work, rotted bulkheads, HAS NOT BEEN WELL MAINTAINED. I don't even need to see the boat to know that...
CalebD likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 11-17-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-17-2012

I'm doing the checks & balances. I don't want to get caught in that trap.

The problem is this, let's say I plan on spending $30K for the boat after all is said and done. If I have to wait until I have $30K on hand, that day may never come. Living on a fixed income means you never get a raise while the price of everything goes up. That's a very real scenario.

But buying anything now will not mean buying something in such bad shape I can't sail for years or that it's going to break me. I won't do that. I have my experience in construction to draw on and that should at least give me enough background to know a disaster when I see it.

Right now I'm pricing out everything I can to see what the materials would add up to for that particular boat to be sailable and be to our liking. I've already started a spreadsheet. Then I'm throwing in labor I can't do and another 10%-20% on top of that. If I arrive outside what comparable S34s are going for, it's time to move on.

Maybe I'll apply for employment at Sabre, learn the skills and use them to help make owning a less painful reality.
Old 11-20-2012

Here's some pics: