Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Sabre
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Replacing Chainplates on a Sabre 34

We saw a Sabre 34 that had been reduced $13K because the chainplates need replacing. I'm pretty sure they are embedded.

Does that cost sound about right if you were to have a reputable yard do the work?

The pics look great. The bio looks pretty good. I could buy the boat today, for what it's priced at, but it would still need the chainplates replaced and probably some other work.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Replacing Chainplates on a Sabre 34

I would hope you could have a yard replace the chain plates for under $15k. I wonder if it is just the shroud chain plates or if the fore and aft stay chain plates need replacing as well?

Sounds to me as though Sabre did the chain plates on that 34' in the same way as Tartan did them on my 27' back in 1967. The chain plates are glassed into knee walls, often with a wood core. The problem with this arrangement is that eventually water gets into the knee wall. Even stainless steel will corrode when wet when it is not in contact with air. The solution that other T27 owners have come up with is to move the knee wall just enough so that the chain plates can be mounted outside the knee wall. This way the chain plates can be in contact with air and can be inspected.

I'd say do it yourself and save a bundle of money except that it can be a very awkward, messy and tedious job to do - depending on the interior set up. It should not cost that much for new chain plates by themselves, nor should the epoxy resin/cloth but the labor involved is another story.

This job is still on my 'honey do' list.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-16-2012

When we were at the show, we were on the Sabre 456 and the salesman said the chainplates were embedded so that any water seeping in from above won't bleed through and ruin the interior woodwork. He pointed to where they were and I saw no way to visually inspect them. I imagined them sitting in moisture and crevice corrosion attacking them. I'm thinking the 34 may have the same kind of setup.

When I read the price had been reduced $13K because the chainplates needed replacing, I guessed it was because they were embedded and most, if not all of them, needed replacing.

WingNWing suggested mounting them on the exterior. Looking at the hull, I don't see this being a problem aesthetically, I just don't know the integrity of the hull where they would need to be bolted in.

If I had the boat sitting in my back yard, I could tinker with it over the winter and maybe even do it myself but I'd have to KNOW that what I'm doing is being done right and that one day the rig wasn't going to come crashing down because I was too cheap or too uneducated to make sure it's done right.
Old 11-16-2012
Tartan 27' owner

Julie,
Yes, crevice corrosion. SS even rusts when it gets wet all sealed in FRP. I know this because our aft chain plate pulled up about 1/4" - 1/2" while we were sailing.
When we dug out the knee wall the SS bolts had rusted badly and the wood core had turned to soil. At the time I fixed that one I just re-did what had originally been done. Now I would do it differently and mount the chain plate outside the knee wall of FRP.

You can think about relocating the chain plates to outside the hull for the shrouds and even after chain plate. The main consideration for the shroud chain plates is if you will lose more sheeting angle for the jib such that it will not head into the wind as well. For now I'm going to keep my chain plates inboard, as they were designed to be by Sparkman & Stephens. I don't feel qualified to 2nd guess these designers.

I like the look of the outboard chain plates on boats that have them. I'd hate to go through with the work (and expense) of locating the chain plates outside, on the hull only to find out that there were unintended consequences. You very well might need longer shrouds to accommodate the new chain plate position.

I just love what the Sabre salesperson told you about the chain plates: "the chainplates were embedded so that any water seeping in from above won't bleed through and ruin the interior woodwork." Right, the water that does seep in will only slowly attack the integrity of the chain plate! I'd rather do a little cosmetic cabin refinishing work and know that my chain plates were up for the job they are expected to do. The boat builders do it this way because it is easier and cheaper for them and by the time any problems do start to arise the boats are long past warranty and it is your problem, not theirs.

Otherwise Sabres enjoy a quite good reputation.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CalebD; 11-16-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-16-2012

Good point about changing the location. I hadn't thought about how it would affect the design. I wouldn't want to mess with that.

After dreaming about owning my own boat (some tell me it's a masochist's dream) ever since stepping on that old 43' Alden when I was 19, finding this boat gave me the opportunity to realize that dream, even though I'd have to come up with the money to fix it before I could sail it. Just being on it would be enough, for a while. But it's like buying a house, once you own it, you find ways to make it liveable.

Still, it's tempting. Maybe I could build a pond in my back yard and put it in there and when I need a fix I walk out the back door and hop aboard and play pirate. And if my imagination isn't child-like enough, there's always rum!
Old 11-16-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
We saw a Sabre 34 that had been reduced $13K because the chainplates need replacing. I'm pretty sure they are embedded.

Does that cost sound about right if you were to have a reputable yard do the work?

The pics look great. The bio looks pretty good. I could buy the boat today, for what it's priced at, but it would still need the chainplates replaced and probably some other work.
Julie,

If this is an S-34 MkI these chain plates could not be easier... Don't let anyone BS you... Straight bar stock bolted to bulkheads... Undo the nuts/bolts & pull free. Take the old ones to a machine shop and have them duplicated..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 11-16-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-16-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I can't speak to the chain plate issue, but can recommend the Sabre 34 as a good sailing boat and a reasonable cruiser.
CraigToo (C2) has a mid-80's model. You can PM him here or on anything sailing and get a good review.
Old 11-16-2012
Tartan 27' owner

Any links on the Sabre 34'? It is a boat maker with a good rep. Sabre also made a few different 'flavors' of the 34' sailboat. Which one is this one? SABRE 34 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
There is a fin keel model, center board model, winged keel model and one other.
Owning a boat is a bit masochistic. Around here you would paying $1K+ for winter and $2K+ for a slip every year. The sayings about B.O.A.T. meaning bring out another thousand and ripping up $100 bills in a cold shower are largely true.
The cheapest way to get sailing is on OPB's (other people's boats). You have plenty of experience from what I've read and I bet there are some racers who would like competent crew, if you tolerate racing.
If you don't swing that way (racing sailboats) then your only other choice is to buy your own and realize that 'she' owns you and budget accordingly.
If you like to play pirate you should meet WingNWing from Annapolis. I understand that she dresses up like a pirate every chance she gets!
Pond in the back yard and rum; not so childlike.

Everybody has one:

Old 11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Julie,

If this is an S-34 MkI these chain plates could not be easier... Don't let anyone BS you... Straight bar stock bolted to bulkheads... Undo the nuts/bolts & pull free. Take the old ones to a machine shop and have them duplicated..
Yes, it looks like it's the Mk1. The one we were looking at was built in 1978.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Any links on the Sabre 34'? It is a boat maker with a good rep. Sabre also made a few different 'flavors' of the 34' sailboat. Which one is this one? SABRE 34 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
There is a fin keel model, center board model, winged keel model and one other.
Owning a boat is a bit masochistic. Around here you would paying $1K+ for winter and $2K+ for a slip every year. The sayings about B.O.A.T. meaning bring out another thousand and ripping up $100 bills in a cold shower are largely true.
The cheapest way to get sailing is on OPB's (other people's boats). You have plenty of experience from what I've read and I bet there are some racers who would like competent crew, if you tolerate racing.
If you don't swing that way (racing sailboats) then your only other choice is to buy your own and realize that 'she' owns you and budget accordingly.
If you like to play pirate you should meet WingNWing from Annapolis. I understand that she dresses up like a pirate every chance she gets!
Pond in the back yard and rum; not so childlike.
The boat you linked to looks like the one. The keel on "ours" is a fin and looks to be about 5.5'. That matches with the one on SailboatData.

This is looking more and more interesting. Could it be possible the hull needs rework as part of the chainplate replacement?

We spent the evening with "The Wings" in the cockpit of their boat while in Annapolis for the show. We had a great time! At the end of the evening I was asking, "But why is the RUM gone?"
Old 11-17-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Julie.. in this listing you can see the port aft chainplate bolts and backing washers in the cubby.. I imagine they are all installed this way as MS describes.. This is a pretty basic DIY once you've got the new plates made up.

Pic # 4 shows the three chainplate locations on deck... pic #12 shows what I'm describing above.

Pretty boat!

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)