Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2013

MauiPunter is on a distinguished road
Need analysis on proposed sailplan changes

Background:
1) The boat is a 1984 Morgan N/M 454, with a k/cb, and current rig dimensions: I=56.20, J=18.00, P=49.50, E=16.00, and currently has a 135% Genoa on the furler. Its very much an IOR design with high aspect main, and large foresail.

2) Mainsail: 440sqft, Genoa(135): 717sqft. for a total of: 1,157sqft.

3) There is a total of 8' of space from back of boom to the backstay.

4) It is a very IOR sailplan and I am trying to modernize it.

5) Its time to replace my sails is one reason I am considering this change now.

Proposal:
#1) Increase the E from 16' to 18', which would increase the Mainsail to: 495sqft, but reduce my Genoa to a 125% with a sail area of: 664sqft for a total of 1,159sqft.

#2) Increase the E from 16' to 19', which would increase the Mainsail to: 523sqft, but reduce my Genoa to a 120% with a sail area of: 637sqft for a total of 1,160sqft.

Summary:
1) In your opinion, what is the net affect of this change? More weather helm?

2) In your opinion, is it worth making this change? (ie. will this make sail handling easier? Performance increase in light air? More efficient sailplan?)

3) Is it important to keep overall sail area the same with this change?

4) Will this change the balance of the boat, and if so, how could it be re-balanced under the new sailplan? Raking mast? bending mast?

5) Any other concerns?

I appreciate any guidance you guys can offer.

Last edited by MauiPunter; 11-23-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Need analysis on proposed sailplan changes

We've owned a very similar boat (vintage and shape, but 40') with similar rig proportions. We lived/sailed in an area with typically high winds but cruised quieter areas in summer. We rarely used a big genoa, finding the boat going well with the blade jib as long as the wind was above 8 true or so... Tacking was worlds easier and faster, and in any event we were rarely racing.

I think the mods you're thinking of will detract from the balance of the sailplan, may well cause excess weather helm (on a boat that likely already 'loads up' pretty good, I'm guessing)

New sails with maybe a 110 or 120% headsail maximum might prove to work perfectly fine on the existing rig.

I think the 'right way' to redistribute the sail area without bad effect would be to move the mast a few feet forward.. not a prospect you'd relish, I'm thinking..

Disclaimer.. I'm not a designer so take this as worth what you've paid for it!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-23-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Punts:
The typical old IOR hull shape had pretty balanced ends and was never known generally to have weather helm issues. You will undoubtedly need a new mainsail. I'd go with the extra 3' of "E" and a full battened main. This will help yu kep the leach from hooking and I don;lt think you are going to find any change in helm. Maybe on a hard close reach where that extra "E" is really contributing power you will feel some increase but I would thin that prudent trim and flattening measures would mitigate it.

My philosophy on changes like this is to go all the way. Don't do a half measure. With a new boom, new main and the accompanying expenses the last thing you want is to go out the first time with the new changes and say, "I think I can tell the difference."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 11-23-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Well there you go.... what do I know

btw.. sure doesn't look like 8 feet to the backstay on the drawing above.. maybe there were variations on boom length through the production run? (or somebody already shortened the boom along the way??

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 11-23-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

One thing you MUST keep in mind. Take the sail plan and with the added three feet of "E" draw an arc from the gooseneck to the very end of the boom. Swing the arc up towards the backstay. The boom, described by this arc MUST be able to clear the backstay. In a wild, uncontrolled jibe, vang off, you do not want the boom to hang up on the backstay.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 11-23-2013

Thanks everyone for your guidance. I appreciate it very much. I will post update after some more analysis on the suggestions.
Old 11-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Well there you go.... what do I know

btw.. sure doesn't look like 8 feet to the backstay on the drawing above.. maybe there were variations on boom length through the production run? (or somebody already shortened the boom along the way??
The line drawing you posted is actually the Catalina version of my boat, which was altered in a few ways. They moved the backstay to the end of the cockpit instead of it being half way down the transom like on the race version.

Here is the line drawing that exemplifies this and how my boat is configured:

Morgan 45 R-C

Last edited by MauiPunter; 11-23-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-23-2013
Just another Moderator

Aha... well, having two different companies build the boat 'ups' the odds of changes along the way.

In retrospect you'd not likely be entertaining these changes if you already had an issue with weather helm. Our son added a foot of so to the boom of his Catalina 36 with good results.

The closer proximity to the backstay will probably mean less roach on the mainsail you buy.. excessive roach and a fixed backstay are poor playmates when gybing in light air.. BTDT... backstay 'whips' don't really work that well on single backstay masthead rigs...

Old 11-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Aha... well, having two different companies build the boat 'ups' the odds of changes along the way.
Yea, when Catalina redesigned the boat in 1985 they raised the boom up, moved the backstay to the cockpit, moved the side stays outward, extended the transom and put in steps, and changed the interior as you can see in the different interior layouts presented here.

I kind of wish they just called it the Catalina 45 (or 46) or whatever as it is truly a different boat than the Morgan N/M 45. The only thing the same was the hull shape designed by N/M.
Old 11-24-2013

So, I did the analysis of the (E) increased to 19' and here is what it looks like. In this diagram is the backstay, the mast, and the boom. The arc shows the clearance between the boom and the backstay as Bob suggested. It looks good to me with a little space for good measure.

Morgan454SailplanProposal

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.