Join Date: Nov 2013
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Need analysis on proposed sailplan changes
1) The boat is a 1984 Morgan N/M 454, with a k/cb, and current rig dimensions: I=56.20, J=18.00, P=49.50, E=16.00, and currently has a 135% Genoa on the furler. Its very much an IOR design with high aspect main, and large foresail.
2) Mainsail: 440sqft, Genoa(135): 717sqft. for a total of: 1,157sqft.
3) There is a total of 8' of space from back of boom to the backstay.
4) It is a very IOR sailplan and I am trying to modernize it.
5) Its time to replace my sails is one reason I am considering this change now.
#1) Increase the E from 16' to 18', which would increase the Mainsail to: 495sqft, but reduce my Genoa to a 125% with a sail area of: 664sqft for a total of 1,159sqft.
#2) Increase the E from 16' to 19', which would increase the Mainsail to: 523sqft, but reduce my Genoa to a 120% with a sail area of: 637sqft for a total of 1,160sqft.
1) In your opinion, what is the net affect of this change? More weather helm?
2) In your opinion, is it worth making this change? (ie. will this make sail handling easier? Performance increase in light air? More efficient sailplan?)
3) Is it important to keep overall sail area the same with this change?
4) Will this change the balance of the boat, and if so, how could it be re-balanced under the new sailplan? Raking mast? bending mast?
5) Any other concerns?
I appreciate any guidance you guys can offer.
Last edited by MauiPunter; 11-23-2013 at 01:37 PM.