Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By SloopJonB
  • 1 Post By tdw

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2014

Location: sweden karlstad city where we have the best hokeyteam in sweden
rickrick is on a distinguished road
samson c lord

Hi l just bay me a ferrocement samson c lord its made in usa 1981 and have a mb 101 disel motor. its whit out rigg only the bout and inside its totaly emty l wondering if some can tell me where is inporten to start the renovesion and soo on l have no experience soo l am very happy for good wish pictures l gone loadd to my profile and there you can see more tanks very mutch for all coperation and sorry for my english l am from sweden
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2014

desert rat is on a distinguished road
Re: samson c lord

Research proper treatment of the hull material, it is accesible and nothing lasts forever.
Someone here should know something about cement boats. I don't so I will be waiting with baited breath for replies.
Old 02-02-2014

desert rat is on a distinguished road

Try forums ferrocement , It appears that a good two part barrier coat then antifouling is the way to go on the outside. keeping oil and other hydrocarbons away from the cement on the inside appears to be a very good idea. Perhaps a good bilge paint over the entire inside.
rickrick (02-02-2014)
Old 02-02-2014

Location: sweden karlstad city where we have the best hokeyteam in sweden
rickrick is on a distinguished road

ok
Old 02-04-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

I cannot recall many threads on Sailnet about ferro cement. There are a few on Cruisers & Sailing Forum here:Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Around 1970, when I lived in Vancouver, I used to ride my bicycle to John Samson's shop in Richmond to see what was in build.
Old 02-12-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Here's a reference for you.

The World of Ferroboats

If you are starting with a bare hull, I strongly recommend you not take it any further. Sell it or otherwise get rid of it and buy something in a better material.

The C-Lord is an enormous boat and will cost you well into 6 figures to finish it, even if you do all the work yourself. It will also take years of your life. I've watched a number of big ferro boats being built including a C-Lord - you can expect to spend 10 years or more completing it - an old rule of thumb is 800 hours per ton of displacement and a C-Lord will weigh at least 30 tons. That totals 24000 hours or 12 years of full time work days. At the end of that, no matter what you have spent or how nicely you build it, you will have a boat that is extremely difficult to sell and that is only worth a fraction of what you have spent.

As an example, currently near me there is a Samson C-Breeze for sale. It also is a huge boat but is about 3/4 the size of the C-Lord. It was very well built, far better than most ferro boats I've seen. It needs a lot of work but is complete, afloat and could be lived on while being restored. It also must meet some kind of commercial standards because it was used commercially and is a listed Class C Tall Ship.

They are asking less than $20K and it has been on the market for years.

Sorry to be so negative but ferro boats have smashed more dreams, marriages and lives that almost anything I can think of other than drugs.
tdw and mitiempo like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

avalon173 is on a distinguished road

I own a concrete boat and must say I was surprised how my opinion about them changed after I bought one.I agree that a bare bones boat of any material will consume both money and time.There are good/bad boats regardless of materials used to construct it.To badmouth a particular material is just silly.We all have our likes/preferences.The biggest question when buying a boat is whether or not it was professionally built or some badly made homemade special.I am sure there are some pro's that built their boats at home though =) Your insurance company probably won't cheaply insure,if at all, a homemade boat or atleast not without a full survey.Again it doesn't matter what it is made of.So for me the important part of my concrete boat was......was it a production boat or was it homemade.No insurance=no marina will take me.My vessel....1980 Fibersteel Valeo 55 cutter rigged ketch built in Sacramento,Calif....layered ferrocement (LFC) NET WEIGHT 36 Tons,LOA 65',LWL 50.5',BEAM 16',105 HP GM Bedford Diesel,1100 gallons fuel,500 gallons water,15Kw genset.I could on but point is the boat only needs the usual haul/paint,interior wood refinishing and rig tuning............not a complete build from the hull up.I would tell you what I paid to buy it but you would call me a thief =)
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Mate of ours has two Hartleys. Both of which he bought for next to nothing. Both of which he is working on bringing up to usable condition. Despite the fact he paid only a few thousand for them both my guess is he will not turn a profit in the long run. edit - (One of them he lives on but it has no sails or working engine.)

While its wonderful that you can buy a Ferro (bare hull or fixer upper) for bugger all cash no matter how much money you throw at them they will always be worth only slightly more than the aforementioned bugger all. In the case of professionally built or built to a professional standard boats that is a shame but being a shame does not alter the situation.

I confess I don't fully understand Avalon's post regarding the condition of his boat when he bought it, but as for a bare ferro hull of the size Rickrick has acquired, as Sloop so rightly says the time not to mention the money to complete the thing would be outrageous.

In case someone thinks I am simply denigrating Ferro, I'm not. Sure I have no desire to own a ferro but I've seen some pretty good ones and certain supposedly poor attributes aside I don't have a specific bone to pick with the material. It is simply that harsh reality suggests there are reasons why you can pick up a ferro boat, oh so often only part complete, for next to nothing.
mitiempo likes this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:03 AM.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I wasn't denigrating ferro, just stating some realities. I've been around ferro boats since John Samson was in full swing here in the early 70's and I dreamed of my own C-Lord back then. I still have the book of plans I got from Samson back then.

I agree that a complete and well built ferro boat can be a very cheap deal BUT That's a very different thing than starting one from a bare hull. I stand by everything I said in my earlier post - BUILDING a ferro boat is a guaranteed loser. Everything else costs the same and takes the same amount of time & effort so why render all that almost valueless by doing it on a ferro hull?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.