Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2014
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Why are hull/deck joints built the way they are?

I have noticed a few threads about perminently curing hull/deck leaks by either bonding the parts together, or glassing over the joint. Why are the joints not built this way from the start? Is it only a matter of cost? I assume some boats are built with the hull and deck glassed together?
Old 10-08-2014

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Re: Why are hull/deck joints built the way they are?

I think it must be cost and ease of assembly. The hull and deck each come out of their own molds. The cheapest and fastest way to put them together is glue and screws. It would be very time consuming to laminate the two together along the seam. My boat (a custom Swedish Vindö), thankfully, was built as a monocoque- the hull and deck are entirely laminated together. There are no leaks and it makes for a much stronger boat.
Old 10-08-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
I assume some boats are built with the hull and deck glassed together?
There are some. But you don't hear of a lot hull/deck joints leaking, what you hear about is deck leaks from all the holes drilled into them.
oysterman23 likes this.
Old 10-08-2014

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
There are some. But you don't hear of a lot hull/deck joints leaking, what you hear about is deck leaks from all the holes drilled into them.
I don't know about that Don. I certainly know a few boats that have caused their owners a lot of strife trying to find leaks at the hull-deck seam. A friend had a leak that dripped in the cabin when underway about 2 meters from the source on the seam and it took him months to track it down. I think that many older boats develop leaks at the hull-deck joint when they are pushed into more challenging conditions (cruising) when the joint starts "working" and water is hitting the seam regularly. No doubt though, the holes in the deck are the principle cause of leaks.
Old 10-08-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Custom boats like my 63' CATARI and FRANCIS LEE have a bonded hull to deck joint. This is a labor intensive detail as the outer bonding layers have to be hand faired into the topsides and deck. Done well you end up with no "joint". This would not be feasible for high production models. Some of the newer boats like J boats and some Euro models have a glued joint with no fasteners.
copacabana and Barquito like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2014

norahs arc is on a distinguished road

Pearson - at least the older ones I have seen are bonded. They may have mechanical fasteners as well - I can't remember but they do have glass inside the joint.
Old 10-08-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Our Dencho-built Choate 40 had a inside-and-out glassed hull deck joint... but then they drilled upteen holes to attach the toerail. Fortunately we did not have any leaks despite this.

Our current boat (now 30 years old) had a hull deck joint bedded in Butyl - some of which continues to squeeze out in some small areas (?) which means it hasn't 'hardened'.. but is watertight to date.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-08-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"Is it only a matter of cost? "
The phrase is "Built to a price." Every mass-market item is built to a price. There are several common ways of doing a hull-deck joint, each with different pros and cons and prices. But in the long run, it is "good enough" once price is factored in.
Now, if you have the wallet and want better, you could certainly have the boat built all in one piece. I wouldn't want to guess what that would cost though. Probably cheaper to buy a metal boat, where the deck has been welded in, making it integral to the hull.
Old 10-08-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I've noticed that "outside" hull deck joints have become more common - where the deck bolts through an outward turning hull flange. Supposedly this detail makes the joint more vulnerable to damage than an inward turned flange but I've always regarded that as a bit of a theoretical reach. Even if true, IMO the benefits far outweigh the potential downside - I suspect there have been a whole lot more leaky inward hull deck joints than outward ones damaged from hitting pilings and so forth.

That method means a single person can bolt the deck on - you don't need a "nut holder" inside the boat. It also means the bolt holes don't penetrate the deck inside the boat so potential leaking is greatly reduced - the adhesive/sealant in the joint can be continuous, not being holed by fasteners every few inches.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-08-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I've noticed that "outside" hull deck joints have become more common - where the deck bolts through an outward turning hull flange. .......
That style of joint can make rafting up interesting depending on freeboard comparisons and the size of your fenders!!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.