AVS of 1978 Reliance 44 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-18-2015 Thread Starter

AVS of 1978 Reliance 44

I'm hoping someone can help me determine the angle of vanishing stability (AVS) of a Reliance 44.

Here's the formulas I've found. AVS = 110+(400/(SSV-10)), with SSV (Screening Stability Value) = Beam^2/((Ballast/Displ)*Hull Draft*Volume^.33). All values are in Meters or Kg.

From sailboatdata.com I've found:

Beam: 3.56
Ballast: 5080
Displ: 12701
Hull Draft: 0.88 (I'm guessing from the drawing)
Volume: 12.36 (calculated from the displacement)

This gives me an AVS of 180.14 degrees... which is, well, a little optimistic. If my formulas are right, then I suspect I'm simply wrong about the Hull Draft, but I don't know where I can find this.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-18-2015
grumpy old man

Re: AVS of 1978 Reliance 44

At 180.14 degs you have capsized and most probably be coming back up on the other side. I have some experience with stability studies and By now I have well tuned seat of the pants feel for a boat's limit of positive stability. Looking at the Reliance I'd guess it would be between 128 degs and 134 degs. That's fine, similar to a Valiant 40.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
post #3 of 8 Old 06-18-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks Bob. Just about every boat I've researched (Downeaster 45, Westsail 42, Fuji 45, etc.) have AVS numbers in that range, if not on the high end. From all the factors going into the calculation (and just gut feel) it seems that the Reliance should have the highest AVS of any of these "bluewater" boats. I was just trying to confirm that and see just how "good" it was for high latitude ocean passages.

Thanks,
Dan
post #4 of 8 Old 06-18-2015
grumpy old man

dc:
The Reliance is not heavy enough to get really high AVS numbers. To get the number up you need displacement so you can have a high B/D, draft, so you can have a low VCG and the deadrise that you most often get with heavier displ. For a boat with the 44's numbers to have a AVS over 135 would be very rare. My 62' DE FRANCIS LEE has an AVS of 158 degs. But that is with a very narrow boat and 7,500 bulb down 10'. It's not your normal cruiser.

My newest project, the four carbon fiber 43' cutters will have an AVS close to 140 degs. But we have plenty of displ and a very low VCG due to the carbon fiber construction. I have not done a stability study yet but I'm counting on at least 140 degs. To me the number is not so important. It's fun to look at though.

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 06-18-2015 at 05:16 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-18-2015

DC, Bob, What would be the values for the constants 110, 400, 10 if I want to calculate in feet and pounds? How would I calculate the volume of my Catalina 34? We "Tupperware" owners want to play along too!

George B
2000 Catalina 34 MkII
Alameda, Ca.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-18-2015
grumpy old man

George:
I'm not sure what you are asking. I'm a bit slow. I have no idea what those "constants" are. Be very careful when you work with overly simplified stability estimations.

The volume of your boat below the waterline would be the displ divided by 64. So a 7,400 lb boat would have a volume of 115.6 cu.ft. below the DWL.

Bob's Blog ....

post #7 of 8 Old 06-18-2015

DL's formula uses those numbers as multipliers and factors and I was wondering if they are metric specific or if I can just plug in my feet and pounds and crunch the formula? Heh, heh, I wish I had a displacement of only 7,000 pounds. I own a Catalina after-all.

George B
2000 Catalina 34 MkII
Alameda, Ca.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-18-2015
grumpy old man

George:
Given the answer he got, I'd stay away from that formula. It looks funky to me. It throws ballast and hull depth in but there is no place for VCG. VCG is the king of the stability study.

Bob's Blog ....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.