Time to resurrect the Ferrocement yacht? - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Time to resurrect the Ferrocement yacht?

Since the 1970s, which seems to have been the heyday of ferrocement yachts for the leisure boat industry, concrete technology has made some significant advances. Specifically, glass fibers and superplasticizers have improved the workability and strength of concrete.

Glass fibers provide more anchor points for the cement, much as rebar does but on a more localized scale. Superplasticizers have been described as the equivalent of a dryer sheet for cement. It breaks the electrostatic bond of cement molecules which lets the concrete spread much more evenly and consistently.

This makes me wonder if it's time to look at the ferrocement yacht again, at least for the DIY boat builder?

First, what is a ferrocement boat? Short version, ferrocement boats are wood (or whatever, I guess) framed boats covered in wire mesh on which a cement mixture is placed. Done right, weight was about the same as a steel boat.

Superplasticizers application could improve ferrocement boat building in three ways: 1, the cement mix spreads much more evenly, leaving less voids for the sea to get in; 2, it increases the compressive strength significantly; 3, it can remove the need for a "steam hut" used to cure the mixture on the boat hull. (Concrete cures stronger when it's water evaporation is slowed while curing.)

New glass fibre technology, although it doesn't add much normal (compressive) strength, does address two of concrete's "weaknesses:" 1, it's normally weak(er) in tension than other materials, and more importantly to our discussion; 2, it's brittle. The glass fibres of today address that and a lower brittleness of a hull could be of high interest to someone with the misfortune to run aground.

sid.ir/en/VEWSSID/J_pdf/103820080504.pdf

How to Build a Boat Out of Ferrocement - DIY - MOTHER EARTH NEWS
Mr. Bubs likes this.

Sailing "Horizons," a Hunter 31, from the Middle Chesapeake around Solomons Island.
"The Stone Age did not come to an end because we ran out of stone." Sheikh Yamani
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Closet Powerboater

Re: Time to resurrect the Ferrocement yacht?

Interesting.

Since the target market is the home builder, how difficult are these new techniques to implement? How about inspection and QC?

I salute anyone who actually completes a home boat build of any kind. I built a 14ft boat out of Bolger's "Instant boats" and it took much more time (and money) than I expected. I can't even imagine a real backyard build.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old 2 Weeks Ago
S/V Calypso

Let us not forget the advances being made in self healing concrete. Having a material for a boat hull that heals itself would definitely raise it above those current construction materials.

The average man will bristle if you say his father was dishonest, but he will brag a little if he discovers that his great-grandfather was a pirate. Bern Williams
post #4 of 25 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

It may be that ferro-cement boats now make more sense than in the past, but the problem with any home-build is the total cost. You can get such good bargains on the used market that building your own makes little or no sense financially.
miatapaul likes this.

Back home on Lake Ontario after something over 36,000 nm circumnavigator. Not surprisingly there is a lot of stuff I want to get done on Ainia both cosmetically and functionally. Getting an early start so it will be ready to go for next summer (Lake Superior?).
post #5 of 25 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Daniel - Norsea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
You can get such good bargains on the used market that building your own makes little or no sense financially.
a boat is hardly a wise financial decision.

It's still not going to stop anyone from building wooden boats, bare hulls, restorations, etc.
MedSailor likes this.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
"When men come to like a sea-life, they are not fit to live on land." - Samuel Johnson
post #6 of 25 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
a boat is hardly a wise financial decision.

It's still not going to stop anyone from building wooden boats, bare hulls, restorations, etc.
Bah, whatever. If boats make you happy, then it's wise to spend money on them, and wise to consider various approaches to acquiring them.
MedSailor and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.

s/v Laelia - 1978 Pearson 365 ketch
s/v Essorant - 1972 Catalina 27
post #7 of 25 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLein View Post
Bah, whatever. If boats make you happy, then it's wise to spend money on them, and wise to consider various approaches to acquiring them.
While it's true that boats rarely yield a monetary return on investment, they pay back in massive quantities of "utility".

Utility Definition | Investopedia
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

S/V Old Shoes
1973 Pearson 30 #255
post #8 of 25 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

I don't think the materials would be any more difficult to use than the original in most ways. The "pourability" of the concrete mix is easier with the plasticizer and the builder would just need to measure carefully and mix thoroughly.

There is one thing I've not quite worked out in my head. As the pourabilty goes up I'm not sure how well it would stick to the upside down hull and in the mess. This stuff flows really well. Which is good in that the need to vibrate goes way down as do the voids. But it won't do much good if it runs off onto the ground.

Sailing "Horizons," a Hunter 31, from the Middle Chesapeake around Solomons Island.
"The Stone Age did not come to an end because we ran out of stone." Sheikh Yamani

Last edited by DRFerron; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:18 PM. Reason: Typos
post #9 of 25 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Daniel - Norsea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boz86 View Post
I don't think the materials would be any more difficult to use than the original in most ways. The "pourability" of the concrete mix is easier with the plasticizer and the builder would just need to measure carefully and mix thoroughly.

There is one thing I've not quite worked out in my head. As the pourabilty goes up I'm not sure how well it would stick to the upside down hull and in the mess. This stuff flows really well. Which is good in that the need to vibrate goes way down as do the voids. But it won't do much good if it runs off onto the ground.
if it was a DIY job, would it help to consult the guys who spray concrete pools? They tend to spray on vertical surfaces and could give some insight to the issue.
DRFerron likes this.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
"When men come to like a sea-life, they are not fit to live on land." - Samuel Johnson
post #10 of 25 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
if it was a DIY job, would it help to consult the guys who spray concrete pools? They tend to spray on vertical surfaces and could give some insight to the issue.
That would definitely be worth checking into.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.