Potential for Building a Wooden Schooner - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 12-20-2016 Thread Starter

Potential for Building a Wooden Schooner

Hey everyone,

I currently work as a shipwright and, while I've only been in this field for a few years, I'm leaning more and more to building my own wood cruising sailboat, rather then buying one. I'm fairly decided on building it myself, but the purpose of this post is more leaning towards style.

I would like to build a gaff-rigged schooner. Also, I would like to take inspiration for its hull shape off Bob Perry's Baba 40. If you see this post, Bob, I'd particularly like your input.

Do you all think that the hull shape of the Baba would not only lend itself to wood construction, but also become a lovely gaff-rigged schooner?
Attached Thumbnails
baba40cutter.jpg   Schooner Rig.jpg  
Arcb likes this.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 12-20-2016
Barquito

Re: Potential for Building a Wooden Schooner

Hmmm....beautiful.

Minnesail likes this.

Valiant 32
post #3 of 32 Old 12-20-2016 Thread Starter

haha, I was thinking more of this, lol.

I think it looks rather beautiful. Now, obviously I would have to adjust things somewhat to accommodate the rig, but in general, It's quite lovely.

This is just a melding of some plans I got off google that I reworked in Paint. Nothing special, but it gets the idea across.
Attached Thumbnails
Baba Schooner.jpg  

post #4 of 32 Old 12-20-2016

A schooner is a great idea, they're quite handy and fairly common on the coast of Maine.

Bob's Baba is a great boat but not really designed to be built of wood(cold moulding maybe?).

Why combine the two? If you're going to build in wood (which is also quite common around here, even today), why not choose an existing schooner design? There are some wonderful plans that were drawn with the intention of building in wood.

This 35' Murray Peterson schooner design is a beauty.

I posted a little thread about it a while back with some other photos. It was the only boat that sailed out of Seal Bay that day.

6:03 AM in Seal Bay.
RichH, eherlihy, capecodda and 2 others like this.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #5 of 32 Old 12-20-2016

A 'pinky' would be a similar equivalent to what you want.

Here's a photo-shoping (attachment) of a B40 as a staysl-Schooner vs. a B40 ketch rig. The sail plan balance along the horizontal (CR/CLR by eyeball) looks to be 'close'.
Attached Thumbnails
New_3.jpg  

Last edited by RichH; 12-20-2016 at 05:21 PM.
post #6 of 32 Old 12-20-2016
Master Mariner

I sailed a gaff ketch built of wood through the South Seas for 5.5 years. I absolutely LOVE the traditional gaff topsail schooner (which is the name of the rig you pictured) rig. I also love to sail more than I love to maintain my boat.
I love the ease and simplicity of the modern RF main, furling headsail rigs, even if they don't look as nice as a schooner. I love winches, which are not often found on traditional schooners.
Two halyards, triatic stays, two topping lifts on each sail, wooden spars, top masts, traditional blocks and fairleads and much more expensive sails are all reasons I'd never again cruise a gaffer.
A gaff topsail schooner without a yard (more rigging) is a lousy down wind rig and not very good to weather unless it's blowing a gale.
As I said, I LOVE the rig and I've sailed many both professionally and for fun, but they are hugely impractical as a cruising rig unless you have deep pockets and wish to sail with lots of crew.
That said, if you just want to knockabout your local area day sailing and short weather oriented coastal trips, have a blast. You'll certainly have one of the most beautiful, if not the most beautiful boat out on the water.
seabeau and Arcb like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

Last edited by capta; 12-20-2016 at 06:01 PM.
post #7 of 32 Old 12-20-2016

While Baba is a lovely design, planking the stern would try the patience of a saint. The originals were planked in larch or oak and the planking was steam bent into place. Bending one plank was a multiple day job.

I am certain that Bob Perry could design a wonderful schooner for you and would not want to discourage you from approaching Bob.

This thread mentioned other designers of beautiful schooners. I am a big fan of Antonio Dias's Peregrine. https://antoniodiasdesign.wordpress....a-46-schooner/

I would also be tempted to build a historic design like John G. Alden's design 390. VOYAGER | ZacBoats As a kid I knew Voyager well and would sit and stare at her in rapt admiration for hours on end. These were simple boats to frame and build with a mix of sawn frames which served as moulds with steam bent frames between.

George Stadel did a series of boats based on the pilot schooner George Steers. I owned a cutter from that series, but there was a 40 foot version that was a work of art. Stadel Schooner | WoodenBoat Magazine

The George Steers was real inspiration to me when I designed a schooner back in the 1980's.

[IMG][/IMG]

Good luck,
Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #8 of 32 Old 12-20-2016
One of None

Well, no one knows what your actual situation is but, if you can afford to build it at a cost of $2-400,000 over most of your lifetime. You will get lots of encoruragment. Are you a member of the wooden boat forum?

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!
post #9 of 32 Old 12-20-2016
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Well, no one knows what your actual situation is but, if you can afford to build it at a cost of $2-400,000 over most of your lifetime. You will get lots of encoruragment. Are you a member of the wooden boat forum?
I think that you missed a zero D...
Skipper Jer likes this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #10 of 32 Old 12-20-2016
One of None

A couple of young men are lofting up a traditional build of a 30 ish foot full keel boat , they have the land with timber a sawmill, shop, machines shed etc, and still had to go elsewhere for the white oak deadwood keel and other very large timbers. Recently they had a quote on lead and casting the 3000 + lbs keel over $30,000.

They are still lofting....

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.