Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
Took awhile, especially moving the fluxgate compass, which was mounted on the table edge, but I'm so glad I did. So much more room, visually and physically.

Before (a bit cluttered):

After:
364 feet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

our life afloat:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Hoffa-

Those photos are deceptive, since the one with the table is taken from much closer a point of view... but yes, it does look better... what the hell was the idea of mounting a fluxgate compass on the table???

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-23-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Hoffa-

Those photos are deceptive, since the one with the table is taken from much closer a point of view... but yes, it does look better... what the hell was the idea of mounting a fluxgate compass on the table???
The table is actually a narrow cabinet and on the centerline. They mounted the compass on the forward edge right above the sole. very good place for it unless you want to remove the table
364 feet

our life afloat:
Old 12-04-2007

Pneumatos is on a distinguished road
Oday 25 table

I found a nice solution for a table for my Oday 25. I made a full size mahogany table, hinged in the middle with a fold out leg. It has a piece of aluminum angle on the port forward edge underside (angle points down) that drops into a pocket bolted to the bulkhead to secure it in place. This replaces a hinge on the traditional designs, since the low coachroof would make for a short table. The fold-down leg holds up the aft end). The table is the full length of the settee. To this point, it is the standard bulkhead-mounted design, less the hinge mounting it to the bulkhead. To stow the table, I remove it, fold it in half and bungie it behind the port settee. It works very well, never gets in the way and offers plenty of space. A sliding wood "bolt" and hinged leg support the starboard side when it is folded out.

I have seen alternative designs that store the table against the bulkhead, but I didn't want to use that space for something I could easily stow elsewhere.
-Steve
Old 12-04-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Hey! anyone reading the new article from good old boat? "improving the dinette table"

my current "project"!
Old 01-03-2008
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Milled some ash last night and today. For now we are just going to make the telescoping table top out of ash with mahogany fiddles.. Possibly a anchor or lighthouse inlay. (anyone have a pattern?)

my current "project"!
Old 01-05-2008

pagonut is on a distinguished road
I saw the most amazing salon table on line once. The settee was ‘U’ shaped and the boat large enough to have if off to the side. When in "cocktail position" the table was low and easy for crew to pass by in order to sit around the ‘U’. There were 4 triangular shaped drop leaves that were actually folded up on top of the table. They fit together perfectly on top like a puzzle and there were fiddles around the outer edges of these leaves. To change the table to “dining” position, the leaves were folded out and braced against the edge of the table by their fiddles and the whole table raised on its pedestal. Simple enough, eh? But wait! It was not a square table and the triangular leaves were not equilateral! The table was rectangle and the leaves scalene triangles. AND, the table had to rotate about 15 or 20 degrees in order to line up with the settee as an expanded rectangle for eating at. It was a fantastic design and I have not been able to find it again on line. I have tried to work it out on AutoCAD but can not get the right combination of triangle shape and rectangle shape.

Has anyone ever seen this table design?

Last edited by pagonut; 01-05-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-05-2008
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
(Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 interior) :

Really love those open interior layouts, I always thought trying to make a 3 bedroom house out of a boat was a waste of time.

Old 01-07-2008

Cahill is on a distinguished road
Xanadu

I just finished a little remodel in the main salon. The results are in evidence on my web page -- http://web.mac.com/pecahill

Though certainly not a solution for everybody, the smaller folding table provides easier access to the lockers and the pilot berth.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you hate your Main Salon Table?-settee-small.jpg   Do you hate your Main Salon Table?-settee-table-open-sm-.jpg  

Last edited by Cahill; 01-14-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-07-2008
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
Yes i hate the table on my Bayfield 25. It eats the whole cabin when its down. Granted it can seat 4 people for dinner, but it takes up too much space. It also takes alot of space when up.

This is the down picture

Yes i know there is a major dirtdobber nest in the table, dont ask.

This is up.