Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum > Sailboat Design and Construction
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Most accidents with blue water sailors happends when approaching land/anchorages or in coastal sailing.
Land is a navigational hazard. Avoid it as much as possible...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2007

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by haffiman37 View Post
...Most accidents with blue water sailors happends when approaching land/anchorages or in coastal sailing...
Just as valid a statement as "Most airplane accidents happen while taking off or landing". It is a valid statement, but doesn't really tell the complete truth. As far as this thread is concerned, all CSIT (controlled sailing into terrain) incidents should be ignored. Any non-trivial contact between boat and ground is going to be an accident regardless of the boat or crew types.

So if we take out land as an accident factor in comparing bluewater with non-bluewater what remains? I would put Captain, Crew, Weather, Equipment, and Navigation at the top of my list and look for differentiators in those categories.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Basically, land and boats don't mix well.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-31-2007

haffiman37 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Just as valid a statement as "Most airplane accidents happen while taking off or landing". It is a valid statement, but doesn't really tell the complete truth. As far as this thread is concerned, all CSIT (controlled sailing into terrain) incidents should be ignored. Any non-trivial contact between boat and ground is going to be an accident regardless of the boat or crew types.

So if we take out land as an accident factor in comparing bluewater with non-bluewater what remains? I would put Captain, Crew, Weather, Equipment, and Navigation at the top of my list and look for differentiators in those categories.
I would say You 'hit' off target.
The reson for the 'accidents' are mainly caused by handling/captain/crew errors and not related to if the boat was a 'Blue water' boat or 'Coastal' sailing boat.

As to follow Your logic of safety - sailing versus flying: Flying is by far the safest as no one have ever been left 'up there' -they all come down! However quite some sailors have been lost 'out there'.
Old 11-02-2007

EveningStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to EveningStar
Thanks for all the great advise!! It's been a wonderful education in common sense. I had wrapped my mind around so much yacht design ideas (some valid and some just marketing driven) that I forgot to look at the most important aspect here...the captain and crew!
Old 11-02-2007

Haffiman37 - Umm, what do you think this means:
Quote:
...I would put Captain, Crew, Weather, Equipment, and Navigation at the top of my list and look for differentiators in those categories...
The reason that lots of aircraft have not arrived is identical to the cause that many boats have not arrived. Both hit the ground in manners (and angles) that the designers didn't cater for. In the case of boats, that ground is usually very wet and deep.

Last edited by Zanshin; 11-02-2007 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-02-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Zanshin-

If the ground is deep..then you probably won't hit it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Haffiman37 - Umm, what do you think this means:

The reason that lots of aircraft have not arrived is identical to the cause that many boats have not arrived. Both hit the ground in manners (and angles) that the designers didn't cater for. In the case of boats, that ground is usually very wet and deep.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-02-2007

Sailingdog - sure you can hit the deep ground by boat, after some incident causes your boat to descend (such as an encounter with a container).